Scandinavia United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose Denmark, Norway, and Sweden actually come together via marriage from a living Lovisa Helvig (who died stillborn in OTL) of Denmark and Oscar I of Sweden with their firstborn son inheriting the combined throne around 1859/1860. What impact might a united Scandinavia have on Europe from that time?

A united Scandinavia would be a player in Europe during the late 1800s/early 1900s. I envision them siding with the Entente during WWI but Bismarck could just as easily reach out for an alliance as well.

A united Scandinavia would be a player in Europe during the late 1800s/early 1900s. I envision them siding with the Entente during WWI but Bismarck could just as easily reach out for an alliance as well.

It really depend on whether the 2nd Schleswig War happens, Sweden was more very friendly with Prussia. Prussia may cut a deal with Scandinavia, where Prussia get Holstein-Lauenburg and Scandinavia get Schleswig and it could end up the triggering the Austrians-Prussian War, just with Scandinavia on Prussian side. In such a case Scandinavia will in worst case (for Prussia) be a pro-German neutral and in best case join the Axis or Russia could make them join the Axis through a preemptive strike by moronic admiral.

Status
Not open for further replies.