Say What?!: A President Barry Goldwater Timeline

Bill Clinton as a Jazz musician. I can't wait to see where that goes. it now looks like both Clinton and Reagna will be staying out of politics. That will have some interesting butterflies. :)

Oops, I keep forgetting that LBJ won. :eek: I hope LBJ continues what JFK was doing, which is the best strategy. A good idea would be for LBJ to pick Abrams rather than Westy in '64.

Oops, I keep forgetting that LBJ won. :eek: I hope LBJ continues what JFK was doing, which is the best strategy. A good idea would be for LBJ to pick Abrams rather than Westy in '64.

So that's where our misunderstanding begun, LOL. Now I understand what we're talking about. :p LBJ's second (well, first elected) term is going to be almost the same as it was in OTL, as I don't see Rocky's nomination as changing too too much of LBJ's presidency, as LBJ still has a mandate and still has lots of capital to implement the Great Society and stuff like that.

During LBJ's second term, I'm going to focus on the lives of our friends such as Nixon, Reagan, etc. and I'll focus less on what's going on with LBJ's Presidency. And yes, LBJ does keep Edna.

I'm glad we got the misunderstanding worked out. :)

pnyckqx

Banned
Rocky? Nelson Rockefeller has no national power. Also, I thougth Vietnamization was a Nixon policy in OTL.
Nixon revived it. The original idea was from JFK. Kennedy was beginning to implement the idea when he was killed.

The genesis of the idea of Vietnamisation was a three hour White House meeting that Kennedy held with General Douglas MacArthur in 1962. The meeting covered general topics and happened because Kennedy was genuinely curious about MacArthur's views, having heard much about the General, but never having met him. For the remnant of both men's lives (Kennedy killed in 63, and MacArthur dying in 64) they remained somewhat close. In fact, Kennedy had re-activated MacArthur to mediate a dispute between the AAU and the international Olympic committee. It was an area where MacArthur was a recognised expert.

Back to point though, MacArthur advised Kennedy not to get involved in Vietnam, and suggested that he pay attention to matters closer to home.

From having read Goldwater's autobiography, i comment that Goldwater was opposed to using US combat troops in Vietnam. What the realities of the time would have forced him to do as POTUS, one can only guess. A lot of it would depend on what LBJ does in TTL. That is of course up to TTL's author.

Alright, here's a short update.

The Second Term of Lyndon Johnson

126018-004-EC84F13F.jpg

Event Date: 1-20-1965
Event Description: President Johnson is sworn in by Chief Justice Earl Warren for his first elected term. "For every generation, there is a destiny. For some, history decides. For this generation, the choice must be our own," says President Johnson in his inaugural speech. "Even now, a rocket moves toward Mars. It reminds us that the world will not be the same for our children, or even for ourselves in a short span of years...Our destiny in the midst of change will rest on the unchanged character of our people, and on their faith." With a heavy mandate from the American people, Lyndon Johnson is optimistic about his upcoming term.

Event Date: 1-22-1965
Event Description: Failed Presidential nominee Nelson Rockefeller and his wife Happy Rockefeller finally consummate their relationship (with the intent of having a child). The morning after, the Governor would tell his wife: "If I had known I was going to lose to Johnson, I wouldn't have waited so long."

Event Date: 3-12-1965
Event Description: Happy Rockefeller discovers that she is, indeed pregnant. This is great news for the Rockefeller family, but Nelson Rockefeller understands that outside of New York politics, his political career is over. Rockefeller knows that when the news breaks out, he will be seen unfavorably by women and social conservatives within the GOP. Not only that, but Rockefeller will be perceived as a loser due to his massive loss in 1964, so there is no hope that he could possibly win the nomination, let alone the election, in 1968. Nevertheless, Nelson Rockefeller is excited to have a child with his wife, and in his words: "My political life may be over, but my new life has just begun."

Event Date: 5-3-1965
Event Description: Ronald Reagan auditions for a part in a Stanley Kubrick film that will be titled "2001: A Space Odyssey." Although Reagan is unsure of how well the film will do, he is excited to be acting again, and hopes that this film will revitalize his flagging career. "Well, it's not like I'm going to run for President or anything," says Ronald Reagan to Nancy. "I might as well give this acting thing another try."

Event Date: 8-27-1965
Event Description: Ronald Reagan receives a call from Stanley Kubrick. Kubrick wishes for Reagan to be the voice of the HAL-9000. Reagan graciously accepts, and will receive the script in the mail in a few days. Reagan will practice his lines very thoughtfully and carefully.

483_20_hal-2001-a-space-odyssey.jpg
=
reagan-ronald-photo-xl-ronald-reagan-6234801.jpg

Event Date: 12-29-1965
Event Description: Filming of "2001: A Space Odyssey" begins in Shepperton Studios in Shepperton, England.

Event Date: 9-30-1965

Event Description: Happy Rockefeller gives birth to a baby girl, who the Rockefeller family will name Rosemary. Although he thought he would have preferred a boy, Nelson Rockefeller is nevertheless elated at his daughter's birth, and cries tears of joy. Although the Rockefellers are happy, the GOP is not. The press, as expected, has published the news about Nelson Rockefeller's new daughter, and conservatives are irate. Even former Senator Prescott Bush (R-CT), a liberal in the vein of Rockefeller, asks: "Have we come to the point in our life as a nation where the governor of a great state- one who won our party's nomination for president of the United States- can desert a good wife, mother of his grown children, divorce her, then persuade a young mother of four youngsters to abandon her husband and their four children and marry the governor?" Several former Rockefeller supporters come out and publicly say that had Nelson Rockefeller had his baby a year earlier, they would not have voted for the Governor. Despite all this criticism, the Rockefeller family is happy.

Event Date: 1-1-1966
Event Description: Former Vice President Richard Nixon announces his candidacy for Governor of California. He promises to bring law and order to the Golden State, and campaigns for a balanced budget. Although Pat Brown defeated Nixon four years ago, Brown is now unpopular due to various race riots and anti-war demonstrations. The Pat Brown campaign is worried at Nixon's formidability, and they would've preferred a weaker candidate.

Event Date: 3-15-1966
Event Description: Ronald Reagan has finished recording his lines for the HAL-9000, and Stanley Kubrick is immensely satisfied with Reagan's voice. However, other parts of the film still need to be completed, and the film will need to be massively edited. It will take at least a year for "2001: A Space Odyssey" to be completed. Nevertheless, Stanley Kubrick is impressed with Ronald Reagan, and will forward his name to other directors.

Event Date: 6-7-1966

Event Description: California's primaries are held today. Nixon receives 61% of the vote over George Christopher, the former mayor of San Francisco. Pat Brown receives 52% over Sam Yorty, the major of Los Angeles. Nixon has a lot of momentum, and all polls show Nixon with a slim but decisive lead.

Event Date: 7-12-1966
Event Description: Ronald Reagan decides to audition for "The Graduate": a motion picture directed by Mike Nichols. He ends up winning the part of Mr. Braddock, the father of Benjamin Braddock (played by Dustin Hoffman). Filming will begin very soon, and Ronald Reagan is excited to film.

Event Date: 11-3-1966

Event Description: The Republicans win major victories in the midterm elections today, winning 3 Senate seats, 47 House seats, and 8 new governorships. In California, Richard Nixon defeats incumbent Governor Pat Brown by a 54%-45% margin. "It is a great honor that I can serve this great state as Governor," said Nixon in his celebration speech. "I feel a great sense of humility and responsibility, and I promise that for the next four years, you will have a Governor who will work his hardest to make sure our better days are ahead of us." Nixon's speech implies that he will not seek the Presidency in 1968, and many political pundits cross out Richard Nixon as a potential candidate for 1968.

nixon01.jpg

Senate Results:

Picture 4.png
Democrats (-3): 62
Republicans (+3): 38

House Results:
Democrats (-47): 225
Republicans (+47): 210

Event Date: 11-4-1966

Event Description: Richard Nixon wakes up in the morning, and replays yesterday's events in his head. He all of a sudden realizes that he implied he would not run in 1968. "Goddamnit!" He shouts. "Did I really say that?!" Nixon knows that he will be seen as a hypocrite by California voters if he runs for President in 1968, but he also knows that the Republicans have a solid shot at winning the White House after 8 years of Democratic rule. Nixon is unsure of whether to break his pledge and alienate his home state (which would certainly be vital to him in the election), or whether to serve as Governor for the remainder of his term. Nevertheless, he has about a year to decide, so he decides to not think about the Presidency and focus on being Governor.

Picture 4.png

Any comments, questions, or suggestions on this last update? I'd love to hear them. :D

I'll post the next update which will contain the 1968 Election as soon as I can. I just want to fine tune it as much as possible.

Interesting position for Nixon... can't wait to see how he will try to maneuver his way around that one.

Gotta like the turn in Reagan's career. I'm just trying to imagine him as HAL..

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL"
"There you go again, Dave. I can't do that."
"What's the problem?"
"Well..."

Event Date: 5-4-1963
Event Description: New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller and Margaretta "Happy" Murphy marry at the home of Laurance S. Rockefeller in Pocantico Hills, New York. The wedding causes much controversy among the media, and rumors of Nelson Rockefeller's extramarital affairs run rampant. After the marriage ceremony, Nelson Rockefeller confides in his new wife that he has plans to run for President of the United States in 1964, and that he is worried their marriage may hamper his ability to clinch the nomination. The two agree not to consummate their marriage until after the election.

I'm sorry, but I just can't take anything in this timeline seriously after this. Agree not to consummate their marriage until after the election? What what?

Speaking of butterflies, it appears that the Congressional midterms have gone pretty much historically...

Shouldn't the Republican gains be slightly reduced though, as TTL's 1964 brought in a smaller wave of Democrats and therefore fewer freshman Democrats for the GOP to pick off?

Oh, also, if these midterms reflect OTL 1966, then is it correct to assume that TX-7 is now represented by George H.W. Bush?