Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Saadi Dynasty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • House of Kamehameha

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • Other (Write it down)

Votes: 25 11.5%

• Total voters
In the long history, there were various Royal Houses or Imperial Dynasties that were overthrown or replaced by another House (Usually due to marriable ties). Some survived to this day, or some like the Chinese Dynasties has descendants with the Imperial Surname.

However, there were those who eventually died out soon afterward, only surviving through matrilineally or in Cadet Branches. Some royal houses to this day are descended from these former houses, just not carrying the name.

So, given all these options, if you were able to save one, and only one royal house from going extinct, and not being replaced by another through a specific POD (Whether it be an alternate birth or etc) which one?

1. House of Tudor - Kingdom of England. Dissolution in 1603
  2. House of Rurik - Grand Duchy of Moscow. Deposition in 1610. Dissolution in 1610
  3. House of Valois - Kingdom of France - Deposition in 1589. Dissolution in 1589
  4. House of Vasa - Sweden Empire/Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Deposition in 1654 (Sweden) and in 1668 (PLC). Dissolution in 1672
  5. House of Aviz - Kingdom of Portugal - Dissolution in 1580
  6. Safavid Dynasty - Safavid Iran - Dissolution in 1736
  7. House of Stuart - Kingdom of Great Britain/Kingdom of Scotland - Deposition in 1714. Dissolution in 1807
  8. House of Plantagenet - Kingdom of England - Deposition in 1485. Dissolution in 1499 (M) and 1549 (F)
  9. House of Medici - Grand Duchy of Tuscany - Dissolution in 1743
  10. Nasrid Dynasty - Emirate of Granada - Deposition in 1492
  11. House of Trastámara - Kingdom of Spain -Dissolution in 1555
  12. Jagiellonian Dynasty - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Dissolution in 1596
  13. Saadi Dynasty - Saadi Sultanate - Deposition in 1659
  14. House of Kamehameha - Kingdom of Hawaii - 1872/1874
  15. Other (Write it down)
Side tangent: If you're wondering why there's a lack of Ancient or early Medieval Dynasties, like the Ptolemies, Julio-Claudian dynasty, Carolingian or Sassanids, etc, I'm not really an expert in Ancient or early Medieval, and why the Other is an option

Not normally a fan of monarchs, or monarchy as a system, but I would save the Shun Dynasty in China and the Brookes of Sarawak, more commonly known as the White Rajahs.

I am going to go with The House of Knýtlinga or Jelling which for a brief time ruled England, Denmark, Norway and parts of Sweden. The North Sea Empire was a fascinating period and this dynasty even married into the Salian Dynasty briefly

Surviving House of Medici would be intresting and change things in Italy. Would they eventually end to unite Italy, at least Northern Italy?
I have toyed with a TL idea about a Medici ruler reforming the country in the early 1700s and using the wars of succession as a way to further Tuscany.

But realistically it depends on the ruler, if it was a smart ruler they could probably expand Tuscany at some point if the French Revolution still happens but butterflies are a thing so it's kinda hard to say.

I'd definitely go with Kamehameha. I'm not pro monarchy whatsoever but, they're one of the few royals I have sympathy for. They deserved better.

The Rurikids are the oldest house on this list and they survived for like over 700 years until the early 17th century. If they were to survive you could have more than a millennia of uninterrupted Rurikid rule, making them the oldest ruling dynasty in Europe and second oldest in history. I’d pick them for this reason.
(I guess the Valois might also count since they’re part of the Capetian dynasty but they’re generally considered a separate house)

Valois, mostly because IOTL there was little to no way they should have gone extinct at the time they did

I've heard a theory that it was because they brought potential mates to live with them at an early age. Thus, for example, Mary QoS and Francis the 2nd felt like brother and sister to each other....which got in the way.

I've heard a theory that it was because they brought potential mates to live with them at an early age. Thus, for example, Mary QoS and Francis the 2nd felt like brother and sister to each other....which got in the way.
Is it? I thought Francis II's testicles didn't drop yet

Is it? I thought Francis II's testicles didn't drop yet

I heard it. Don't know enough about the Valois to say one way or another. But it is the kind of subtle answer that 'feels right' that historians wouldn't pick up on right away and I've encountered before.

It's also the kind of thing those involved wouldn't nessacarilly understand, in the realm of "why does sex with you seem really weird sort of way."

Last edited: