Votes: 40 8.9%
  • Khazars

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Guanche

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Other (Write it down)

Votes: 24 5.4%

• Total voters
In the long history, there were many ethnicities all over the world, that had their own unique way of life, culture, and history. However, some of these ethnicities sadly died out. Due to warfare, disease, or assimilation into another culture.

But this doesn't mean that they're gone. They still live on through their descendants that has their genetics in their DNA or through the artifacts and culture they left.

But if you were able to choose one ethnic group, to survive to this way, with some of their people, being full genetically from the past, and their culture somewhat preserved, who would it be?

Here are some of the options through a specific POD, which one?
  1. Taino - Arawak ethnic group once living across the Caribbean, from Cuba, Hispaniola, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Jamaica. Although extinct as an ethnicity, lives on through their descendants in Cuba, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico.
  2. Lucayans - A branch of Taino, living in the Bahamas. Went extinct due to Spanish Colonization
  3. Picts - A group of peoples who lived in what is now northern and eastern Scotland.
  4. Neutral Nation - An Iroquoian-speaking people who lived in what is now southwestern and south-central Ontario in Canada, but went extinct due to disease, and warfare from the Iroquois Confederacy in the 17th Century.
  5. Beothuk - A Native American tribe living in Newfoundland, before going extinct in the 19th Century
  6. Volga Bulgarians - Bulgar people living in Volga region, before dying out.
  7. Jaegaseung - Descendents of Jurchens living in Northern Korea, before being assimilated into Korean society.
  8. Capayán - Indigenous Tribe living in Argentina, before being subjugated by the Inca, and going extinct with the Spanish Colonial Period.
  9. Volga Finns - Finnish People living the Volga region
  10. Phoenician/Punic People - An Ancient Semitic People that inhabited Phoenicia (Modern Lebanon) and Carthage (Modern Tunisia)
  11. Emishi - An ancient ethnic group living in Japan, before being defeated during the Heian Period. Although, some historians theorize that the Emishi had a connection to the Ainu people, but this is just speculation.
  12. Guanahatabey - A distinct group from that predated the Taino, living in Western Cuba, that went extinct during the Spanish Colonial Period
  13. Sadlermiut - A Native American group living in Canada, with some believing them to have been the last remnants or Dorset Culture or a mixture of Dorset and Thule Culture, (Although genetics show otherwise). Went extinct in by the early 20th Century.
  14. Crimean Goths - Last of the Gothic tribes living in Crimea, before going disappearing in the 18th Century.
  15. Scythians - An Ancient Steppe Indo-European nomadic groups in the Eurasian steppe, until the 3rd century BC
  16. Khazars - A semi-nomadic Turkic people that was notably to converted to Judaism
  17. Guanche - A people living in the Canary Islands, before being conquered by the Spanish, and intermixing with the Guanche. Although their culture and language died out, they live through genetics.
  18. Other (Write it down)
So, with this list down, who would you want to save?

Sidenote: I know that some of these ethnic groups does live on through DNA and Genetics, like the Taino through their descendants in the Caribbean. But what we're here to talk about hypotheticals, about certain ethnic groups living as a distinct ethnicity.

Also, I was initially about to put the Moors in the list, but really couldn't decide, so if you want to put it, put it on "Other". Also, groups included in "Other" would be Ancient ethnic groups, such as the Huns.

This was hard to choose. On one hand Carthage/Phoenicia is fascinating to me and the possibilities of a Carthaginian/Punic led Mediterranean are fascinating, but I went with Scythians because well, they're more of a mystery and their culture seems very interesting from what we know.

Made a video on the Dorset culture, have a partial script for one about the Balto-Prussians, and have ambitions to make a series on Steppe cultures so I guess I am all over the place on the options.

1. Ancient Egyptians: Their original polytheistic culture survives.
2. Akkadians: Their language, cuneiform and polytheism somehow survive
3. Hittites: Their hieroglyphics, polytheism, and language survive.
4. Mitanni: The hurrian language, writing and religion survive
5. Canaanites: Same as above
6. Elamites: Same as above
7. Sabaeans: Literally the same as above lol
8. Meroitic people: Same as above. Literally Black Egyptians who built pyramids.
9. Tocharians: Indianized white people who lived in desert regions of China.
10. Khotanese saka: Indianized Pamiri people who lived in western china.
11. Parthians: Northeastern Iranians who were philhellenic, buddhist, zoroastrian.
12. Bactrians: Basically Hellenized, Buddhist Afghans.
13. Sogdians: Basically White Eastern Iranians who practiced a wide variety religions aside from Sogdian zoroastrianism.

This was hard to choose. On one hand Carthage/Phoenicia is fascinating to me and the possibilities of a Carthaginian/Punic led Mediterranean are fascinating, but I went with Scythians because well, they're more of a mystery and their culture seems very interesting from what we know.
Do the Ossetians count as scythians?

Do the Ossetians count as scythians?
I don't know, Scythian culture got mixed in with the germanic invasions of western europe and then became absorbed in the proto-slavic ethnic groups so its all a kind of mix. What would really interest me is a more distinct scythian culture that centralized and would have successfully fended off various incursions remaining its own thing. I mean obviously there would be some change due to trade and cultural mixing but it would be interesting to see a Scythian state evolve to the modern age. Would tattooing still be an important part of the culture? Would they have changed from burial mounds to something like roman crypts once they started building cities? Would they still wear the tall conical hats? I'm just super curious about the possibilities.

I voted for Crimean Goths because they've intrigued me for years and I already planned o give them a role -- albeit a very minor one -- in a TL for which I'm currently compiling notes & a list of reference sources.

I don't know, Scythian culture got mixed in with the germanic invasions of western europe and then became absorbed in the proto-slavic ethnic groups so its all a kind of mix. What would really interest me is a more distinct scythian culture that centralized and would have successfully fended off various incursions remaining its own thing. I mean obviously there would be some change due to trade and cultural mixing but it would be interesting to see a Scythian state evolve to the modern age. Would tattooing still be an important part of the culture? Would they have changed from burial mounds to something like roman crypts once they started building cities? Would they still wear the tall conical hats? I'm just super curious about the possibilities.
Well the Ossetians largely christianized and became Eastern orthodox, but retain the original Scythian descended language of their ancestors. They're basically christian Iranians.
There was such state, it was called Alania.

1642221898926.png

Attachments

• 1642221918876.png
    1642221918876.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 126
Well the Ossetians largely christianized and became Eastern orthodox, but retain the original Scythian descended language of their ancestors. They're basically christian Iranians.
There was such state, it was called Alania.

View attachment 710901
True, and they're the closest thing we have which is pretty interesting in and of itself since the alans are generally considered a part of the sarmatians which in turn were a part of the scythian ethnic group. But the larger part of ancient scythia was lost, which would have been really interesting to see develop.

Illyrians. The survival of Illyrian ethnicity would mean no genocides of the western Balkans during the migration period by basically everyone that walked by during the fall of Rome. It would stabilize the Balkans and allow for a creation further down the line of Nation State capable of matching up with a nearby powers and possibly Germany. It would make for an interesting history

True, and they're the closest thing we have which is pretty interesting in and of itself since the alans are generally considered a part of the sarmatians which in turn were a part of the scythian ethnic group. But the larger part of ancient scythia was lost, which would have been really interesting to see develop.
A survival of the Alan-ruled kingdom in what is now Portugal (founded while their allies the Vandals controlled most of what is now Spain) would be interesting.

Illyrians. The survival of Illyrian ethnicity would mean no genocides of the western Balkans during the migration period by basically everyone that walked by during the fall of Rome. It would stabilize the Balkans and allow for a creation further down the line of Nation State capable of matching up with a nearby powers and possibly Germany. It would make for an interesting history
Some scholars think that the Albanians are an Illyrian survival.

I think Carinthian and Pannonian Slavs surviving could be interesting - these were Slavic tribes, who inhabited most of modern-day Austria and Hungary, but got assimilated over time by Hungarians and Germans, if they weren't, Balkan Slavs would be more linked linguistically to other Slavs, which would probably result in higher level of linguistical similarity between them and northern (especially western) Slavs. Geopolitical effects of Slavic Austria and Hungary might be also interesting.