Sarawak PoD 1949 - A TL

War?!!:eek: Well, better establish Sarawak Armed Forces ASAP. Things gonna get ugly... Especially from the hands of Sukarno... Can't imagine watching the sight of General Kanang Anak Langkau... :D

Besides, as a Dominion, Sarawak have a right to establish their own armed forces...
Not just a right, with independence they have to take over their own self defence and can't just leave it to the British. Perhaps offer the British basing rights as part of a mutual defence treaty? IIRC there were at least some in government that realised that Hong Kong wasn't going to be around forever and that Singapore might be limited by size and future politics. Or since as Xhavnak mentioned they were concerned about maintaining 'British interests' arrange it as part of independence deal, something like the the Sovereign Base Areas on Cyprus might be a bit much but a very long term lease for an army/air force base somewhere out of the way and port facilities for ships might be achievable.

As you're a local random question I wanted to ask, but is there anything special or important about the land between the two areas of Brunei? Always seemed slightly odd the place being split in two with Temburong being just off to the east. When mulling over what to do with Sarawak in some other timelines I was considering, generally just ended up giving north-western Limbang Division the bit separating Brunei back to help smooth relations with them.

Really?

Also small taster of possible directions for this TL - the Sarawak army. Initially formed from the Sarawak Rangers it is going to expand into a efficient, highly trained small army. As you may be aware the Rangers were already employed as jungle experts in Malaya.

EDIT - Here you go !

Please ignore generals names at bottom.

How 'bout this? :D:D

armyinfobox.png

rrdk.jpg

This day is going better and better...:D:D

IDK...

Not just a right, with independence they have to take over their own self defence and can't just leave it to the British. Perhaps offer the British basing rights as part of a mutual defence treaty? IIRC there were at least some in government that realised that Hong Kong wasn't going to be around forever and that Singapore might be limited by size and future politics. Or since as Xhavnak mentioned they were concerned about maintaining 'British interests' arrange it as part of independence deal, something like the the Sovereign Base Areas on Cyprus might be a bit much but a very long term lease for an army/air force base somewhere out of the way and port facilities for ships might be achievable.

As you're a local random question I wanted to ask, but is there anything special or important about the land between the two areas of Brunei? Always seemed slightly odd the place being split in two with Temburong being just off to the east. When mulling over what to do with Sarawak in some other timelines I was considering, generally just ended up giving north-western Limbang Division the bit separating Brunei back to help smooth relations with them.

The local will against it. Even though it was odd(just like you said, it was odd), I think it was possible if made this way; no checkpoint area between mainland Brunei and Temburong...

EDIT: Sarawak might as well introduce the conscription policy... At about 2 million people in population... Any foreign invasion might screw them over...

Last edited:
Datu Patinggi Haji Muhammad Kassim, John Nichol Anak Kassim* (not related), Tra Zehnder(If you want a woman).

* He could also be a Sarawak Constabulary first Inspector General...

Thank you very much:)
Probably not a women this early although it might be interesting to make that move.

The British have been given the island of Labuan which is being developed into a major regional base and headquarters for the forces guarding North Borneo, in addition I am having them maintain basing rights in Sarawak subject to the good will of the Rajah.

ITTL Brunei has difficulties that make them not too much of a problem.

How 'bout this? :D:D

This day is going better and better...:D:D

Thank you - that looks somewhat better :)

EDIT: Sarawak might as well introduce the conscription policy... At about 2 million people in population... Any foreign invasion might screw them over...

They are going to have a significant volenteer army force and are going to be protected by the Brotherhood of Nations - the Commonwealth military alliance. The YMA extremists I mentioned earlier are going to form many of those applying to join the territorial army.

Explaination on Paramount Chief...

If you saw the picture in my last post, you will noticed a position of paramount chief below the supreme commander... Here's the explanation...
When Charles Brooke became Rajah, he noticed when he declared war or establishing a war expedition(or war party), the Dayak chieftains will send spears to longhouse chiefs as an invitation to join their war party... The paramount chief in TTL (I hoped) was to keep this tradition alive...

I'm flattered...

You probably know more about the whole thing than I do - almost certainly in fact :D

Anyways - Next update is probably going to be a state of the nation thing.

Maybe. But you started it, so I'll let you do the job. PM me if you had a question about Sarawak...:D

Forgot one thing, Benedict Sandin was also a good candidate as either Paramount Chief of PM...:D

If you saw the picture in my last post, you will noticed a position of paramount chief below the supreme commander... Here's the explanation...
When Charles Brooke became Rajah, he noticed when he declared war or establishing a war expedition(or war party), the Dayak chieftains will send spears to longhouse chiefs as an invitation to join their war party... The paramount chief in TTL (I hoped) was to keep this tradition alive...

I shall certainly mantain that tradition :D

Im afraid a sudden trip has happened - wont have internet until Wednesday :( So no update likely until then - really sorry everyone.

Last edited:
Maybe. But you started it, so I'll let you do the job. PM me if you had a question about Sarawak...:D

Forgot one thing, Benedict Sandin was also a good candidate as either Paramount Chief of PM...:D

Thank you :) - Ill probably need to do that a lot :D
Paramount Cheif is an interesting idea really.

Just out of curiosity, how will TTL's Sarawak deal with Communist insurgents such as the Sarawak Communist Organization or the North Kalimantan Communist Party?

This is amazing - subscribed.

What's happening to Sabah? It had a large Chinese minority in the 1950s - much larger than today - and both the Philippines and Indonesia claimed its territory. Will it become an independent state, stay British or join Malay(si)a? Whichever way it goes, it's a conflict waiting to happen, civil as well as international.

Also, what about Malaya proper? Singapore would be much more important in a federation that includes just the peninsula, and the Malay-Chinese conflicts of the early 1960s could be accentuated. It should be interesting to see what happens to the careers of Tunku Abdul Rahman and Lee Kuan Yew.

What?

This is amazing - subscribed.

What's happening to Sabah? It had a large Chinese minority in the 1950s - much larger than today - and both the Philippines and Indonesia claimed its territory. Will it become an independent state, stay British or join Malay(si)a? Whichever way it goes, it's a conflict waiting to happen, civil as well as international.

Also, what about Malaya proper? Singapore would be much more important in a federation that includes just the peninsula, and the Malay-Chinese conflicts of the early 1960s could be accentuated. It should be interesting to see what happens to the careers of Tunku Abdul Rahman and Lee Kuan Yew.

Who want to claim Sabah you say? :rolleyes::D

Besides, any attempt to claim Sabah will met with opposition. Why lay claim on Sabah when Phillipines central government does not even recognize Kingdom of Sulu? The area formerly own by Sultan of Sulu was sold to multiple tenants and only consists of 1/3rd of whole Sabah area. (West coast area was formerly owned by Brunei, and no one owns the inner area.)

Though I agree, the situation between Malaya and Singapore will be interesting...:D

Who want to claim Sabah you say? :rolleyes::D

Besides, any attempt to claim Sabah will met with opposition. Why lay claim on Sabah when Phillipines central government does not even recognize Kingdom of Sulu? The area formerly own by Sultan of Sulu was sold to multiple tenants and only consists of 1/3rd of whole Sabah area. (West coast area was formerly owned by Brunei, and no one owns the inner area.)

Though I agree, the situation between Malaya and Singapore will be interesting...:D

Be wary. By the turn of the 1950s - 60s, the next Filipino governments, most notably Diosdado Macapagal and Ferdinand Marcos have renewed the claims to Sabah. Furthermore, the Philippines already recognized the Sulu Sultanate, even the Sultan gave the land to the government in exchange for rent.

Plus the claims are way stronger than the British ones. If Malaya would be dismembered, the Philippines would like to use the distraction to invade and annex Sabah.

What?

Be wary. By the turn of the 1950s - 60s, the next Filipino governments, most notably Diosdado Macapagal and Ferdinand Marcos have renewed the claims to Sabah. Furthermore, the Philippines already recognized the Sulu Sultanate, even the Sultan gave the land to the government in exchange for rent.

Plus the claims are way stronger than the British ones. If Malaya would be dismembered, the Philippines would like to use the distraction to invade and annex Sabah.

Malaya and Singapore was still haven't yet independent. Sarawak was independent in 1949. The Aussies was still based in Sabah. So what the problem? Sarawak still had 6 years to beef up their defence and if Sabah was included in Sarawak, the prospect of Philippines invasion of Sabah will be met with opposition and Royal Navy warship from Hong Kong and Sarawak(Sarawak was a Dominion, remember?)