Saints and Schoolwork: An Anglo-Saxon Story

1. Assignments

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Right. Trying something a bit different.

---

Saints and Schoolwork
by Bolt451

Ebba was woken by her cat jumping on her bed. Clearly her mother had let her in with the aim of waking Ebba up. She was startled but but soon realised what was going on. “Ashes, get off!” she grumbled. The big tortoiseshell just looked at her and started purring, paddling Ebba’s lap. “Fine, just,” she sighed and tried to get up, finding her legs pinned. She picked up the heavy cat and moved her to one side. She then left her room, leaving Ashes to claim her sleeping spot for the day.

“Morning,” she said sleepily to her mum who was cooking breakfast,

“Morning Ebby, I’ve just cooked some eggs if you want,”

“Thanks for the alarm cat,” Ebba grumbled, taking a seat,

“I figured it was preferably to me waking you,” Ebba smiled politely as she grabbed some eggs and put them in cups, taking some slices of bread, taking them into the sitting room. She turned on the televiser and sat on the longchair opposite it. It was just the news but she figured it was good to know what was going on in the world. A man was stood outside the Royal Palace in Eorforwic and she’d caught it mid report. Behind him stood several of the Cyningchurls, the Royal Guards.

“Palace is buzzing with energy as we await this weekend’s arrival of world leaders including Chancellor Shao Wei of China, First Minister Legrand of Caribea and Chief Minister Rousseau of France there is come controversy over the attendance of this last person in light of recent comments by King Lothaire and French actions in” Ebba was distracted by her mother

“Remember its Aunt Osbur’s going away event tonight,” her mother said through the open kitchen door

“Why are we having a going away party for her given she’s supposed to be leaving to purify herself of sin or whatever!”

“Its not a party!” she said coming to the doorway “Its to mark the occasion and pray that God will grant her mercy and forgiveness,”

“Oh,” Ebba paused, unsure how to react, “Right, yes, of course I’ll be there, where else would I go,” her mother sighed and went back into the kitchen.

The news broadcast was now talking about some movie having its European Premiere, in Eorforwic again of course. She noted it was an adaptation of one of Albrecht Lichfield’s plays albeit with an Asian lead (in this case Nihonese) shoehorned into the lead role. Ebba lost interest and finished her dinner quickly. She dressed for school and headed out, taking the lift down to the ground floor and out into the cold Laudenwic morning.

Ebba walked through the gates of St Aidan’s Senior School on the far side of Hamsted to her home. She made her way to the school’s eastern building for her first lesson, history. She walked briskly, finding the subject interesting but had found she’d read ahead of the teacher by some distance. As such she had to decide between being bored or risk getting caught reading the wrong part of the textbook. She found her seat as per the seating plan that had been in place since the start of the school year last January. She watched as Leofgyd, the girl who usually sat next to her walk past to a seat further back. “Leofgyd?” she called out confused. Leofgyd looked to Ebba with a face of disdain. “Are you not sitting here?”

“I was going to, Ebby but I’m a bit worried you might try and kiss me,” Ebba froze on the spot. She could feel her mouth getting dry and her cheeks flushing

“I’m sorry?” she managed,

“We heard from Cyneberh,” a girl behind her said, “why didn’t you tell anyone you were a Sapphic? What were you trying to hide?” she smirked and they took seats at the back of the class as the teacher walked in,”

“Actually Sappho was polysexu,” Ebba stopped mid word and turned back round with a sigh as Mr Brunlaw, their teacher walked in.

“Good morning everyone,” he said with questionable enthusiasm. “Good Morning Hildred!” he said to the student who had followed him in and was quickly heading to her assigned seat at the back of the room. However she found it occupied by Leofgyd. “Find a seat please!” Brunlaw continued, not knowing or not caring that students had broken the seating plan. Hildred sighed and dropped into the empty seat next to Ebba, who nodded to her politely.

The lesson was the latest part of this season’s main subject, the early days of Angland and the Viking invasion. “When we last left off,” Brunlaw began, then paused. “Can anyone remember where we left off?” he asked the class, who didn’t respond. “Anyone?” he asked again. Eventually Ebba raised her hand. A whistle came from someone in the class. Ebba tried to ignore it. “Yes, Ebba?” Mr Brunlaw said expectantly. “Cuthred of Wessex had just paid off the Vikings of Sveyn the Pale,” she said, mumbling her words slightly. Brunlaw smiled politely,

“Exactly! And this is notable because Wessex and Angland were two very separate nations at this point, in fact Angland had only existed for a century and a half, having formed from the merging Northumbria and,” a pause, “Anyone?” someone else raised their hand. Ebba noted it was Aengeraed and found herself instinctively smiling.

“Mercia?” they offered. Ebba knew this, most people did, but she didn’t want to draw attention to herself, certainly not today.

“Exactly!” he said again, “And with the Danes paid off Cuthred had redirected them north into Angland.” He pulled down the rolling board to show a drawn on map of the Anglish Isles from Orcadia down to Corno in the Southwest. On it was drawn Angland, as it was at the time. Ebba noted It only went as far south as Glecaster and as far north as Eidinburh and didn’t touch any of Britain or the south east all which was a patchwork of primary colours, all rendered in fibre tip quill. “With this news Aethelred, not yet Aethelred the Great, marched south but not before the city of Glecaster fell to an alliance of Norsemen under Sveyn the Pale and Arthrys Ap Tewdrig the King of Gwent. In exchange for Glecaster, Arthrys had been convinced to ally with the Norse. There was no love lost between the Kingdoms of South Britain and the Kingdom of Angland, it being less than a century since the scouring of Britain by King Aedberht. Who was known as?” Silence. “Anyone?” Ebba figured she should bite the bullet and raised her hand. “Ebba? Yes?”

“The Hammer of the Britons”

“Exactly!” The Teacher continued, “And Arthrys took Glecaster and the Wye Forest for Gwent, securing the Viking’s flank. Now you should remember from the previous lesson, at this point the Viking presence in what is now South East Angland was actually made up of two armies, one under Sveyn the Pale and one under Harkon Blackhart, with Sveyn’s victory at Glecaster, Harkon used this opportunity to declare himself King of the kingdoms under viking control or as they would be known forthwith, Daneland,” a dramatic pause. Ebba could notice the other students getting bored. “Harkon knew Sveyn couldn’t risk challenging him for this title without leaving them open to attack from the forces of the Anglish army and unlike Sveyn his army was well rested and thanks to Sveyn’s losses in Glecaster and Corencaester he outnumber Sveyn as well,”

And so the lesson went on. Ebba had to admit she found Mr Brunlaw’s teaching style rather dry. Certainly she found it interesting but that was why she had read it in a book. She might as well have been reading a book for all Brunlaw varied his style. Towards the end of the lesson he finally stopped his continuous talk. “Now, as part of the curriculum you not only have to demonstrate your knowledge of history but also your teamwork and communication skills!” another pause, Ebba figured he thought it was dramatic, it wasn’t. “As such at the end of next month, in groups of three you will perform a ten minute presentation on a subject related to this season’s subject, the early Kingdom of Angland and the Viking invasions and back it up with a two thousand word essay,” there were collective groans from the class. “If you want to get into groups of,” people began moving, “Wait for it!” they stopped moving again “If you want to get into groups of three, then I will hand out project briefs, understood?” a pause, silence. “Okay now you can move,” the room exploded with movement as people formed into trios. Ebba looked around, noticing Leofgyd and other friends (Although she was starting to question the validity of this term) forming into groups. “So,” she jumped, noticing Hildred was looking at her. “Wanna form into a group? I mean, we’re a person short,”

“Really, I, I mean I don’t want to embarrass you,”

“Why would you embarrass me?” Hildred said raising an eyebrow. Ebba noticed it had marks above and below it in the girls skin. She figured there had been a piercing there not too long before.

“Well I, I’m sapphic, and,”

“So?” Hildred said abruptly

“Well,” Ebba began, Hildred interrupted

“Are you also a rapist? Or have no concept of boundaries?" Ebba blushed

“Of course not!” she spluttered

“And does the fact you are attracted to women affect the way you carry out school work or study history,”

“Well no,” Ebba replied, Hildred interrupted her again

“Well then en I don’t give a rutting goat whether you’re Sapphic!” she sighed

“Oh, okay, then yes, sure. but we need one more,”

“What about her?” Hildred pointed across the room. A girl with long wavy brown hair sat looking around at others, looking a bit annoyed at her lack of success in forming a group. Ebba blushed and began to speak

“I,”

“Aen! Aengaraed!” Hildred shouted across the room, “ We need a third” Aengaraed shrugged and walked over taking a seat next to them, “sure, why not,”

“Wonderful!” Ebba said overenthusiastically, “This’ll be fun!”

Last edited:

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Like. Apart from some minor anachronistic naming which I assume is an inuniverse deliberate historical fad :winkytongue:

The tradition of incredibly isolated trends somehow continuing far longer than they should. Basically AngloSaxonPunk.

This is 1500 odd years from the PoD so either I chart language and trends for that entire period or I am lazy and/or anachronistic. I chose the latter :D

Interesting, I intend at some point to redo my poor attempt at an Anglo-Saxon TL, so reading this will be interesting to see the direction you go in!

Best of luck in avoiding writer's block and other such poxes.

2. Penitence

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Ebba was sat alone in the apartment of someone seemingly quite well to do. So far, Aunt Osbur’s going away party. No, Ebba thought to herself, not party, gathering, event, commemoration, whatever. It had been dull. Most people were obscure adult relatives or people Ebba knew were from the local congregation but beyond that neither knew nor especially cared. They had gone to the nearest Altar, out in the square that the apartment overlooked. A Monk from the monastery in the city centre had carried the service out and given sacrament, not that Ebba was old enough to receive it yet. There hadn't been any hymns and minimal chanting. It was unsurprisingly, very sombre. Her parents had left her to speak to someone she was told had known her from a young age but she didn't remember them at all.. At thirteen she was the youngest person there by at least a decade. She was sat to one side in an awkward formal dress no one had commented on, She was currently on her port’ sending messages to Aengaraed.

Aen: So whats the Family Gathering
Ebba: My Aunt has joined the order of penitents.
Aen: That’s the thing where someone atones for their sins by going somewhere, yeah?
Ebba: Pretty much.
Aen: We just go and chat with the Priest
Ebba: You’re Catholic, yes?
Aen: Yep
Ebba: So you go and ask the priest for forgiveness?
Aen: Pretty much, if its something specific.
Ebba: What do they do then?
Aen: They talk to the priest
Ebba: And that’s it?
Aen: No, he usually suggests prayers or other actions to do to absolve yourself of the sin
Ebba: Okay Like prayers
Aen: Yes, maybe tasks like charity work or whatever else
Ebba: And who decides that?
Aen: The Priest, I guess.
Ebba: Same as with the Anglish Church. The Priest and the “sinner” decide if Penitence is necessary and for how long
Aen: And if its not?
Ebba: Prayers I guess. We just have the exile thing.
Aen: where they go abroad, do humanitarian work.
Ebba: Exactly. You don’t mind me asking about your Catholicism do you?
Aen: No, its fine.

Ebba paused, unsure what to say. Feeling a need to add something.

Ebba: You weren’t in on Monday, you okay?

Oh no! that sounded creepy she thought.

Aen: Yeah, it was the feast of Saint Augustine of Glecaster, it’s a big event for British Catholics. So my parents took me out of school for the day.
Ebba: The guy who tried to bring Catholicism to the Saxons but failed?
Aen: Impressive.
Ebba: If you didn’t guess by my conduct in class, I am a bit of a history enthusiast
Aen: I got that, Well he wasn’t entirely unsuccessful but had way better luck with the Britons. Hence me being Catholic I guess
Ebba: Get up to anything interesting?
Aen: Not really Spent it up in Pendinas, probably being about as bored as you are right now

Ebba found herself laughing at this

Ebba: Lots of relatives you’re expected to remember but don’t actually know? Same for obscure family friends you haven’t seen in years?
Aen: Exactly. So any thoughts about the project?

Ebba held off sending a message back, seeing someone approach. It was her Aunt Osbur, earlier in the evening she’d had her hair ceremonially shaved off while prayers were said, most of which Ebba hadn’t known the words too. She’d clearly been off and tidied her hair up. The uneven job with a vicious looking but blessed razor blade had been tidied with an electric razor. Ebba wondered briefly if the electric razor was blssed too.

“Hello Ebba, mind if I join you,”

“Not at all,” Ebba said, shuffling up the sofa she was sat on and quickly putting away her port’

“Thank you for coming,” Osbur said politely,

“Its fine! Its nice to see you and” Ebba shrugged awkwardly

“You won’t see me for a while,” Osbur said, finishing Ebba’s sentence,

“Exactly,” Ebba said. There was an awkward pause.

“How’s school going?” Osbur said, trying to make conversation. Ebba got the feeling she was just glad to be chatting with someone rather than being quietly judged. People were probably wondering what Osbur had done to warrant her exile.

“Good, Today we were set a history project to do a talk on a subject,”

“What area? The Age of Exploration was my favourite bit, Poitier discovering Terranova and all that,” Ebba nodded and smiled.

“And a bunch of Penitents bringing the Anglish faith to,” Ebba began

“Everywhere!” Osbur said with a smile “It seems, except Europe,” she said, raising an eyebrow

“We’re doing the Anglo Saxons and Vikings,”

“Oh brilliant,” Osbur smiled warmly, “All the early saints, and Kings, and Sainted Kings,”

“Exactly, and the first Penitents,” there was a pause, “Sorry, you’re probably tired of hearing about it,”

“No its fine, you’re just making conversation, I can’t promise my trip will be as interesting as Somerild Rite’s though, assuming she existed at all!” she chuckled and trailed off. There was another heavy pause

“Um, Aunt Osbur. The monk said you’re going away for three years I think, is that right? If you don’t mind me asking!” was this too much to ask? She hoped not. It wasn’t like she was asking what the sin was that lead her to seek Penitence, or perhaps for it to be prescribed

“That is right,”

“Have the said where you’ll be going?”

“I’m going to the one of the missions in Mikadia, possibly then to Aotearoa”

“Wow that’s,” she paused, “That’s really far away! Other side of the world!” Ebba smiled, “Are you allowed to send photos back?” she said with a guilty smile

“We’re not supposed to but I’m sure I can make an exception,” Osbur said, smiling back. “and I know it’s a solemn occaision and a serious matter and the Lord knows my sins but!” she paused then leant in conspiratorially “I’m a bit excited about flying over there,”

“You won’t say that after the long flight,” Ebba said, teasing slightly,

“It’s not too bad, they try and send us cheaply so we’re stopping over in Jiangning and a few other places,”

“more sights, I don’t mind if we don’t get photos from there,”

“I Suppose we should be grateful the Middle Kingdom lets Penitents in at all,” Osbur remarked. Ebba nodded. Another pause, broken by someone calling Osbur over. Osbur gave Ebba a hug and just as quickly was gone. After watching her leave Ebba looked to her Port and opened up the messaging program and read the last message.

It was from five minutes ago. Aen has disconnected

“Shit,”

Last edited:

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
I'm liking the hints at the wider world here.

Thanks, I've got a paragraph of the post Anglo Saxon/Viking era history of the world. This will no doubt expand.

Just putting it down, if people want explanations on/expansions of certain elements I'm happy to write them up and post them under spoiler tags.

Was that bit at the end meant to be Aengaraed finding out that Ebba is lesbian/Sapphic and disconnecting because Catholic or something I assume?

Also how are we meant to read/pronounce Aengaraed because currently I'm going Anne-ger-add, but it seems clearly a "Saxon" version of Ingrid so should it be Ayn-ger-add or Ayn-grid or something? I'm curious, is this name an invention or is it an "attested" Anglo-Saxon name?

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Was that bit at the end meant to be Aengaraed finding out that Ebba is lesbian/Sapphic and disconnecting because Catholic or something I assume?

Also how are we meant to read/pronounce Aengaraed because currently I'm going Anne-ger-add, but it seems clearly a "Saxon" version of Ingrid so should it be Ayn-ger-add or Ayn-grid or something? I'm curious, is this name an invention or is it an "attested" Anglo-Saxon name?

Its just Aen logging off for the night as Ebba hadn't replied to her question (I've just tweaked it to make it slightly more obvious)

The name is an utter bastardisation on my part. An attempt at an Anglo-saxonified version of the Name Angharad. I pronounce it in my head Ain-ger-add personally but any other pronounciations are as accurate as mine given the massive timespan of fictional history.

Last edited:
I've been pronouncing it as the regular English pronunciation of Angharad (anger-rad rather than the correct ang-ha-rad)
A connection to Ingrid didn't even occur to me!

Sideways

Donor
Wow, this is a great way to slowly reveal the world through characters! Really enjoying it so far. Your characters read well and it seems very promising

Very interesting ditty, looking forward to more.

FWIW I'm happy to offer advice on updating SaxonPunk! words and names for you (although given my...less than satisfactory work on THIS fine collab, I'd understand if not).

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Very interesting ditty, looking forward to more.

FWIW I'm happy to offer advice on updating SaxonPunk! words and names for you (although given my...less than satisfactory work on THIS fine collab, I'd understand if not).

I'm sure I could help. Most of what you did on that was ok ;).

Thanks both :) I'll have a think

Pretty Much what?

Also I'm really glad to see you writing again, is this the same TL universe as the saints and sunrises universe?

Blargh, that was where I joined 2 drafts together. Edited now

And yes, this is the same universe as Saints and Sunrises pretty much. I just wanted a shared

I cant promise I won't reuse some stuff directly from Saints and Sunrises :p but not a lot

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Hmm

I'm thinking of putting in sources from my previous attempt at this? Would anyone mind? I'm aiming for a hybrid approach of sources and framing device.

3. Aen's Research

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Aengeraed turned away from her computer. Ebba hadn’t replied for ten minutes. She figured she was talking to some family member or other, so she logged chat and reopened a ePage she’d bookmarked. A translation. She’d lost her page and briefly read the chapter titles

CHAPTER XXV AUGUSTINE, COMING INTO BRITAIN, FIRST PREACHED IN THE ISLE OF THANET TO KING ETHELBERT, AND HAVING OBTAINED LICENCE, ENTERED THE KINGDOM OF KENT, IN ORDER TO PREACH THEREIN. [A.D. 597.]

CHAPTER XXVI ST. AUGUSTINE IN KENT FOLLOWED THE DOCTRINE AND MANNER OF LIVING OF THE PRIMITIVE CHURCH AND TRAVELLED TO CANTERBURH

CHAPTER XXVII ST AUGUSTINE DEPARTS CANTERBURH FOR NATIONS TO THE WEST

CHAPTER XXVIII AUGUSTINE ESTABLISHES THE CHURCH OF GLECASTER

She knew all this bit. She’d spent all of Monday hearing stories of how Saint Augustine had been driven violently out of Kanteborg (or Canterburh as it was written here) and fled west and established Glecaster Cathedral. It had however been interesting to compare Bede’s documentation of the events compared to folk stories and accounts of the British Catholic Church, the latter of which were almost comically biased against the people of Kent (with much mentioning of how they would later convert to the Anglish Church. Of course Bede’s patron had been the King of Northumbria so she figured that was pretty biased too. She wondered briefly how Angland might’ve ended up if Augustine found a favourable ear in Kent. Perhaps if the king had been more favourable to Christianity. She was reminded of Saint Hilda, who had died travelling to Britain to bring the Christian faith to Britain. Maybe all of Angland might be Catholic and not just the north Britons.

CHAPTER VII THE SAME KING OSWALD, ASKING A BISHOP OF THE SCOTTISH NATION, HAD AIDAN SENT HIM, AND GRANTED HIM AN EPISCOPAL SEE IN THE ISLE OF LINDISFARNE. [A.D. 635.]

THE same Oswald, as soon as he ascended the throne, being desirous that all his nation should receive the Christian faith, whereof he had found happy experience in vanquishing the barbarians, sent to the elders of the Scots, among whom himself and his followers, when in banishment, had received the sacrament of baptism, desiring they would send him a bishop, by whose instruction and ministry the Anglish nation, which he governed, might be taught the advantages, and receive the sacraments of the Christian faith. Nor were they slow in granting his request; but sent him Bishop Aidan, a man of singular meekness, piety, and moderation; zealous in the cause of God, though not altogether according to knowledge; for he was wont to keep Easter Sunday according to the custom of his country, which we have before so often mentioned, from the fourteenth to the twentieth moon; the northern province of the Scots, and all the nation of the Picts, celebrating Easter then after that manner, and believing that they therein followed the writings of the holy and praiseworthy Father Anatolius; the truth of which every skilful person can discern. So the people of Northumbria, long under rule of Pagan kings received the blessing of the church (1)

But the Scots which dwelt in the South of Ireland had long since, by the admonition of the bishop of the Apostolic See, learned to observe Easter according to the Catholic custom. 98 On the arrival of the bishop, the king appointed him his episcopal see in the isle of Lindisfarne, as he desired. Which place, as the tide flows and ebbs twice a day, is enclosed by the waves of the sea like an island; and again, twice in the day, when the shore is left dry, becomes contiguous to the land. The king also humbly and willingly in all cases giving ear to his admonitions, industriously applied himself to build and extend the church of Christ in his kingdom; wherein, when the bishop, who was not skilful in the Anglish tongue, preached the gospel, it was most delightful to see the king himself interpreting the word of God to his commanders and ministers, for he had perfectly learned the language of the Scots during his long banishment.

Aengaraed groaned, God almighty this was dry reading, but she persisted.

From that time many of the Scots came daily into Britain, and with great devotion preached the word to those provinces of the Anglish, over which King Oswald reigned, and those among them that had received priest's orders, administered to them the grace of baptism. Churches were built in several places; the people joyfully flocked together to hear the word; money and lands were given of the king's bounty to build monasteries; the Anglish, great and small, were, by their Scottish masters, instructed in the rules and observance of regular discipline; for most of them that came to preach were monks. Bishop Aidan was himself a monk of the island called Hii, whose monastery was for a long time the chief of almost all those of the northern Scots, and all those of the Picts, and had the direction of their people. That island belongs to Britain, being divided from it by a small arm of the sea, but had been long since given by the Picts, who inhabit those parts of Britain, to the Scottish monks, because they had received the faith of Christ through their preaching.

CHAPTER IX OF THE LIFE OF BISHOP AIDAN. [A.D. 635.]

FROM the aforesaid island, and college of monks, was Aidan sent to instruct the Anglish nation in Christ, having received the dignity of a bishop at the time when Segenius, abbot and priest, presided over that monastery; whence, among other instructions for life, he left the clergy a most salutary example of abstinence or continence; it was the highest commendation of his doctrine, with all men, that he taught no otherwise than he and his followers had lived; for he neither sought nor loved anything of this world, but delighted in distributing immediately among the poor whatsoever was given him by the kings or rich men of the world.

He was wont to traverse both town and country on foot, never on horseback, unless compelled by some urgent necessity; and wherever in his way he saw any, either rich or poor, he invited them, if infidels, to embrace the mystery of the faith or if they were believers, to strengthen them in the faith, and to stir them up by words and actions to alms and good works. His course of life was so different from the slothfulness of our times, that all those who bore him company, whether they were shorn monks or laymen, were employed in meditation, that is, either in reading the Scriptures, or learning psalms. This was the daily employment of himself and all that were with him, wheresoever they went; and if it happened, which was but seldom, that he was invited to eat with the king, he went with one or two clerks, and having taken a small repast, made haste to be gone with them, either to read or write.

At that time, many religious men and women, stirred up by his example, adopted the custom of fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays, till the ninth hour, throughout the year, except during the fifty days after Easter. He never gave money to the powerful men of the world, but only meat, if he happened to entertain them; and, on the contrary, whatsoever gifts of money he received from the rich, he either distributed them, as has been said, to the use of the poor, or bestowed them in ransoming such as had been wrong. Fully sold for slaves. Moreover, he afterwards made many of those he had ransomed his disciples, and after having taught and instructed them, advanced them to the order of priesthood.

It is reported, that when King Oswald had asked a bishop of the Scots to administer the word of faith to him and his nation, there was first sent to him another man of more austere disposition, who, meeting with no success, and being unregarded by the Anglish people, returned home, and in an assembly of the elders reported, that he had not been able to do any good to the nation he had been sent to preach to, because they were uncivilized men, and of a stubborn and barbarous disposition. They, as is testified, in a great council seriously debated what was to be done, being desirous that the nation should receive the salvation it demanded, and grieving that they had not received the preacher sent to them. Then said Aidan, who was also present in the council, to the priest then spoken of, "I am of opinion, brother, that you were more severe to your unlearned hearers than you ought to have been and did not at first, conformably to the apostolic rule, give them the milk of more easy doctrine, till being by degrees nourished with the word of God, they should be capable of greater perfection, and be able to practice God's sublimer precepts." Having heard these words, all present began diligently to weigh what he had said, and presently concluded, that he deserved to be made a bishop, and ought to be sent to instruct the incredulous and unlearned; since he was found to be endued with singular discretion, which is the mother of other virtues, and accordingly being ordained, they sent him to their friend, King Oswald, to preach; and he, as time proved, afterwards appeared to possess all other virtues, as well as the discretion for which he was before remarkable.

CHAPTER VI OF KING OSWALD'S WONDERFUL PIETY. [A.D. 635.]

KING OSWALD, with the nation of the Anglish which he governed being instructed by the teaching of this most reverend prelate, not only learned to hope for a heavenly kingdom unknown to his progenitors, but also obtained of the same one Almighty God, who made heaven and earth, larger earthly kingdoms than any of his ancestors. In short, he brought under his dominion all the nations and provinces of Britain, which are divided into four languages, viz. the Britons, the Picts, the Scots, and the Anglish. When raised to that height of dominion, wonderful to relate, he always continued humble, affable, and generous to the poor and Strangers.

Aen shook her head. Gosh Bede was fellating the Anglish royal family

In short, it is reported, that when he was once sitting at dinner, on the holy day of Easter, with the aforesaid bishop, and a silver dish full of dainties before him, and they were just ready to bless the bread, the servant, whom he had appointed to relieve the poor, came in on a sudden, and told the king, that a great multitude of needy persons from all parts were sitting in the streets begging some alms of the king; he immediately ordered the meat set before him to be carried to the poor, and the dish to be cut in pieces and divided among them. At which sight, the bishop who sat by him, much taken with such an act of piety, laid hold of his right hand, and said, "May this hand never perish." Which fell out according to his prayer, for his arm and hand, being cut off from his body, when he was slain in battle, remain entire and uncorrupted to this day, and are kept in a silver case, as revered relics, in St. Peter's church in the royal city, which has taken Its name from Bebba, one of its former queens. Through this king's management the provinces of the Deiri and the Bernicians, which till then had been at variance, were peacefully united and molded into one people. He was nephew to King Edwin by his sister Acha; and it was fit that so great a predecessor should have in his Own family so great a person to succeed him in his religion and sovereignty.

CHAPTER VII HOW THE EAST SAXONS RECIEVED THE FAITH AND A CHURCH WAS ESTABLISHED AT SULIS [A.D. 635.]

Aen rubbed her eyes, they were actually watering and she realsied she’d been looking at the screen for quite some time. This was interesting, she guessed but it was hardly gripping. The whole thing could be shortened to “Some churches were set up, mostly Anglish, mostly by Aidan who was bishop to the king” done. Hardly an exciting presentation! She stood up from the desk, picked up her textbook and walked over to her bed. She read some of the chapter titles briefly

The Angles and Saxons arrive in Britain
The Battle of Badon
Hengest and Arthur
The Formation of Northumbira
The Battle of Dyrham and creation of Wessex
King Oswald the Pious

She’d read all of this in class and at home

Saint Aidan and Saint Finian
Oswin and Penda

To be fair, she thought this latest chapter was kind of interesting. In class they’d used it as an excuse to watch a movie adaptation of “Oswine Prince of Nort” by Aldred Lichfield. It was a few decades old but still portrayed the battle with an impressively big budget and cast. She’d noted the costumes had been far more like those seen in the 12th or 13th century. All the Thegns and other Noble warriors wore heavy plate and scale instead of the mail they’d studied. There had been a more recent adaptation but this was “inappropriately inaccurate” as her teacher had harrumphed, as it had been laden with the framing device of a Chinese merchant who finds himself in Angland and is caught up in events, taking some of the roles from the original play. Of course, the play was written eight hundred years after the battle of 655 and they’d sucked all fun out of the film by spending the next two lessons going through Lichfield’s play and discussing the inaccuracies to the point that Aen could recite them from memory Whether Oswiu, thegn of Burmecia would have killed Oswald, having been passed over as heir in favour of Prince Oswine. Of course Aen had enjoyed the 1970s animated version where Oswiu was literally a snake, his temptations were literal demons, Oswine was inexplicably 10 instead of 20 and Penda was twelve foot tall and sang a song about how fun it was to be an Evil Villain. She still remembered most of the songs, in fact.

1. As OTL, but with a much lesser Christian presence in Britain, Aidan’s followers would have their work cut out for them, but have no competition, for want of a better way of putting it, from Catholic missionaries.
  2. Here in the original OTL text Bede comments on the followers of Columba not following Catholic Doctrine.
  3. In OTL Anna converted Coinwalch/Cenwalh, I’m having a little fun and reversing it. Though the missionary converting Anna is one of Aidans rather than from the Augustine church in Glecaster/Glowecester
  4. In this TL, Agilbert still travels to the west Saxons but his role is different given the smaller church. In OTL Finian was the second bishop of Lindisfarne, with a slightly more expansionist feel to the church in Northumbria,
  5. Out of Universe: Footnote, Briton=Welsh, Britain=Wales

Last edited:

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
If people dislike the amount of reposting from previous attempt, I will happily rewrite this last post. I might anyway