Russian TL suggestions

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Irene, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Irene Professional Cactus

My artist and friend has recently professed an interest in Russian Alt History, something I want to encourage but lack the knowledge. Any well written Russian/soviet TL suggestions?

2. kernals12 Well-Known Member

There must be hundreds of Russia related alternate history TLs.

3. Lalli Well-Known Member

Twilight of the Red Tsar and Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire might be intresting.

There is too TL An Execution Preempted: A Lethal Otsu Incident but unfortunately that TL died before we reached even 20th century.

Salvador79 likes this.
  4. Irene Professional Cactus

Quality is not that common.

5. Court Jester Well-Known Member

Salvador79 likes this.
  6. Gintoki Sakata Tsinoy AltHist Enthusiast

7. ShortsBelfast Events, dear boy, events

And let us not forget Salvador 79's Feeble Constitution: a Red-Green Russia 1917 timeline. A work in progress but well researched and showing excellent promise.

Salvador79 likes this.
  8. Salvador79 Well-Known Member

HelloThere and ShortsBelfast like this.
  9. Irene Professional Cactus

Thank you all for the suggestions, really helpful. Could I trouble you fine gals/guys further by asking for the tone/theme of the TLs? I can get the summary just fine but the tone of the story requires an extensive reading and I want to strike while my friend's interested.

My suspicion is, by my friend's stark refusal to discuss anything political about Russia is that she might not enjoy grimdark-then again she loves post-apocalyptic and zombies so what do I know?

Here's a glimpse of my email to my friend:

Gintoki Sakata likes this.
  10. Court Jester Well-Known Member

Both Nicky SIs are rather more positive than OTL, while Zhirinovsky's Russian empire has copious ammount of crimes against humanity and general bad events, courtesy of man who is thankfully relegated to the role court jester in OTL.

11. Salvador79 Well-Known Member

GiantMonkeyMan's TL has not diverged very far yet, so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but the title gives some hope for positive developments...
    Hnau's TL is certainly a lot more positive for Russia than OTL.
    My own TL features stronger institutions and more parliamentary procedures and less disintegration and chaos throughout 1917 and early 1918 when compared to OTL, but on the other hand, now the Germans are coming again and new carnages on the front begin, so it's probably a mixed bag.

12. Cregan Well-Known Member

13. saltburn861 Well-Known Member

Maybe a slightly different TL suggestion, but a WI on Russian cuisine in popular culture expanding as compared to OTL?

14. Salvador79 Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, Zulfurium's Day in July. It is not exclusively focused on Russia, and excellently written like all his timelines, also quite gory at times, and arguably makes Russia's 1920s even more of a hell than OTL already was.

15. Koprulu Mustafa Pasha Sadrazam of the Roman Empire

Russian Republic TL? PoD: Kerensky keeps power while Lenin, Stalin and Trotsky die in a raid by Republicans.

16. Salvador79 Well-Known Member

When? In October just before OTL's Revolution? In that case, the revolution may be delayed for a few more days until the Supreme Soviet has convened and, with a Bolshevik-Left SR majority, protests against the political murders of prominent Bolsheviks, declares Kerensky's PG deposed and itself as the new provisional government. Might make for a very different October Revolution, but I wouldn't say "Kerensky keeps power".
    If you mean in July, then there's a slight chance Kerensky might keep power, but the failure of his military offensive and the depth of the food crisis have stacked the cards heavily against himself. If he begins peace negotiations like at Brest-Litowsk, he might buy himself time and credibility, but even that may not be enough. Decapitating the Bolshevik opposition does not automatically provide Kerensky with solutions to his various dilemmas.

Cregan likes this.
  17. Irene Professional Cactus

Its sent, thank you guys so much

And this is just for search purposes, in case others are interested (yeah I curated some out):

The Consequences Of An Errant Shell (finished)
    By Johnboy
    Synopsis:
    What if the Russian Empire, won the Battle of the Yellow Sea in 1904, due to a lucky shell hit?
    Theme: A more positive and Utopian Russia.
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-of-an-errant-shell-story-only-thread.387945/

Lest We Drown By The Red Tide ISOT (ongoing)
    By Mackus
    Synopsis:
    A person's mind is transported from 2011 into the mind of Tsar Nicolas II of Russia in 1911. Knowing the fate of the Romanovs the new Tsar has just a few years to navigate the dangerous politics of nationalist Europe while parrying the treacherous aristocrats and bureaucracy at home.
    Theme: time traveler trying to prevent communism, perhaps even WWI.
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/lest-we-drown-by-the-red-tide-isot.366393/
    'Tis But a Scratch: A Nicholas II SI (complete)
    By Drunkrobot
    Synopsis:
    The author is transported into the mind if Nicholas II in 1891, much more time than the previous one
    Theme: time traveler trying to prevent communism, perhaps even WWI.
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/tis-but-a-scratch-a-nicholas-ii-si.393118/

Saving Soviet Democracy: A Russian Revolution Timeline (ongoing)
    By GiantMonkeyMan
    Synopsis:
    The Bolsheviks aren't isolated during the provisional government, leading to more integration and tamer ideology
    Theme: A different, more democratic and less brutal Russian Revolution.
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...mocracy-a-russian-revolution-timeline.454077/

The Dogger Bank War - how a North Sea battle changed the course of the 20th century (ongoing)
    By Onkel Willie
    Synopsis:
    In 1904, the Dogger Bank incident between the Russian navy and British fishermen leads to war and this is a broad analysis of the world.
    Theme: More international, but Russia progresses in a positive way.
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...hanged-the-course-of-the-20th-century.463470/

Soyuz-80: the 1980 Soviet Invasion of Poland (finished)
    By Onkel Willie
    Synopsis:
    A Soviet invasion of Poland in 1980 in response to Solidarity and a longer Cold War with some more 'interesting' developments due to hardliners staying at the helm in Moscow.
    Theme: Decay, dark, the inevitable failure of communism
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/soyuz-80-the-1980-soviet-invasion-of-poland.408501/

The Bear vs the Dragon - a Sino-Soviet War TL (finished)
    By Onkel Willie
    Synopsis:
    A border skirmish escalates with China and Russia going to war in 1969.
    Theme: War drama, communist infighting
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-bear-vs-the-dragon-a-sino-soviet-war-tl.418347/

Twilight of the Red Tsar (finished)
    By: Napoleon IV
    Synopsis:
    Stalin lives longer with more purges and paranoia.
    Theme: Grimdark Soviet Union.
    Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/twilight-of-the-red-tsar.371831/

18. Koprulu Mustafa Pasha Sadrazam of the Roman Empire

What about Russia lead by the patriarch..?

A bigger, Orthodox version of Iran. One with nukes.