Russian Taiwan?

In the 'Russian Alaska' thread,Boto von Ageduch suggested 'a Russian Taiwan'

Now, I am aware that what he was suggesting was that Alaska iTTL be equivalent to Taiwan (old government in exile).

Still, it raises an interesting thought. Is there any way to get Russian control/ownership of Formosa?

In the 'Russian Alaska' thread,Boto von Ageduch suggested 'a Russian Taiwan'

Now, I am aware that what he was suggesting was that Alaska iTTL be equivalent to Taiwan (old government in exile).

Still, it raises an interesting thought. Is there any way to get Russian control/ownership of Formosa?

Erm proberly not, I'm writing a TL with Russia focusing more on the Far East but it's difficult because their base of operations is Siberia and Vladivostock which makes controling Manchuria and Port Arthur difficult enough. If you make a Russia-wank then you could have them kick Japanese butt in the Russo-Japanese war at sea and crush their army at Port Arthur. Then you could be looking at Russia gaining Korea and Taiwan under de-jure Russian control but effectively administed by China.

Erm proberly not, I'm writing a TL with Russia focusing more on the Far East but it's difficult because their base of operations is Siberia and Vladivostock which makes controling Manchuria and Port Arthur difficult enough. If you make a Russia-wank then you could have them kick Japanese butt in the Russo-Japanese war at sea and crush their army at Port Arthur. Then you could be looking at Russia gaining Korea and Taiwan under de-jure Russian control but effectively administed by China.
Yes, this would pretty much require that the Russians decisively beat the Japanese, which is tough enough with the power projection capabilities they had.

It might well require an earlier Transsibirian RR, to better support the effort?

Yes, this would pretty much require that the Russians decisively beat the Japanese, which is tough enough with the power projection capabilities they had.

It might well require an earlier Transsibirian RR, to better support the effort?

Even with an Earlier completion it's difficult, please please please make a TL where Japan doesn't go though the Meiji restoration. This would give Russia a free hand against China in the North with their only opponants being France and Britain. No Ango-Franco intervention in Crimea ... oh the long term butterflies :eek: