Russian AH TV-series "Fandorin" a.k.a. a great novel gets a strange adaptation

An Advice, Watch Carnival's Row next, to see how worlbuilding is done

Last edited:
So only recently found this and while I still haven't processed the last episode (or rather the description of it), I think I have a theory on what happened here. To me it seems like the show's creator had an original IP involving the AH and used the Fandorin property for the sake of generating 'interest' etc.

While at least one of the brothers read the book especially considering the wedding attack etc considering how the show mostly focuses on its original plot & characters etc to me it seems like brothers just piggy backed off of Fandorin.

I think that explains all the 'AH' details they did get 'right' since that might have been the main focus of the creators. Now on the show's politics while it may not be a direct result of censorship etc I think considering the positions the creators seem to clearly want people to identify with, especially with who the villain is, I will say it does seem to be a product of Putin's Russian.

We are meant to be against the plan for fully free elections and sympathies with the all powerful Tzar and the interventionist uncle is meant to be right.

Last edited:
We are meant to be against the plan for fully free elections and sympathies with the all powerful Tzar and the interventionist uncle is meant to be right.
It must be said that such ambiguity exists in Akunin's books. He promotes himself as an opposition liberal, but the Fandorin books often idealize the Empire. One could say that this reflects the perception of the character... Exactly the same line was in "Spy Novel", adapted as the film "Spy" (which in turn modernized the early 1940s). Starting from equating communism and Nazism, and ending with an intellectual
telling how good it was under the Autocracy.

So only recently found this and while I still haven't processed the last episode (or rather the discretion of it), I think I have a theory on what happened here. To me it seems like the show's creator had an original IP involving the AH and used the Fandorin property for the sake of generating 'interest' etc
Ah the classic : no one give a fuck our new idea,use an old franchise no one gives a damn to try to incite anyone to adapt it. Oshi no lo showed it very well