Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Perhaps?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
an economic update, thoughts?
Interesting TL, not finished yet. But let me give you my thoughts.

1. Automobile production.
In 2005 US is still #1 (12,7 )., followed by Japan (10,1) and Germany (5,7) and China (5,5). As for Russia it can't exceed 2 million in best scenario. For example even with decade of investment OTL Russian production is somewhat between 1,7-2,2 million. Russian vehicles can't compete with others yet.
2. I think other numbers are significantly larger than OTL 2005 numbers. I guess they are recent statistics.
3. On Trade? How large Russian exports?

1. Mineral Fuels including oil (12.2%)
2. Iron, Steel, Metallurgy (11.15%)
3. Technology and Machinery (9.8%)
4. Gems and Precious Metals (6.3%)
5. Automobiles and Vehicles (6.1%)
6. Electric Machinery and Equipment (4.3%)
7. Agricultural Items (3%)
8. Wood (1.8%)
I think Russian exports still will be dominated by carbon fuels, e.g oil and NG. Then metals and other minerals. In best scenario 1/3 exports will be manufactured goods.
For me in 2005 Russian exports should look like this
1. OiI and NG - 40%-45%
2. Metals and other minerals 20-25%,
3. Defense export
4. Agriculture, especially grain exports
5. Gas turbine, electric machinery, other machinery and equipment
6. Aerospace ( Russia somehow modernized its civil airjet manufacturing the it could be 3rd player along with Boeing and Airbus)
7. And other manufactured goods

In general oil and NG sector will be main driver of Russian economy, followed by metals and other mining sectors. Defense sectors play main role in tech sector. Agricultural sector could be booming sector like OTL.
If somehow Russia did manage modernize and develop aerospace manufacturing sector, Russia could be 3rd player in jet market. Just 5-10% jet market is huge for Russia. Russia can be leading player in Regional jet along with Bombardier and Embraer.
When Great Recession comes in 2008, Russia could purchase Opel (they couldn't in OTL) then Russian cars can be competitive and export many cars. Maybe they could purchase one of Japanese electronic company.?
Russia can develop decent home grown semiconductor sector (Elbrus CPU), they can cooperate with TSMC or Korean or Japanese companies.
One sector Russia can be main player is IT sector, if everything works well for Russia. (VK, Mail.ru, Kaspersky, Telegrame, Yandex). Russia has real potential here.
When smartphone conquers cell phone market and if Russia somehow could purchase Nokia, then Russia can be one of the major player in telecommunication. Russia even can be 1st to develop 5G technology.
When Elon Musk started SpaceX he went to Russia and tried to purchase some rocket design and cooperate with Rusian rocket producer. However since Russia is not good place for business it failed. Maybe ITTL, Russia will cooperate and partner with Elon Musk.

I know this maybe a strange suggestion but with how big the influence of combat sport Is in russia , can russia either built or buy an mma company, if you're going to buy an mma company i would suggest buying pride fc since it use to be the biggest mma promotion in the world before the ufc buy it,

I have to ask, why are the users of alternatehistory.com overwhelmingly monarchist? Monarchists are fractions of the population, and yet overrepresented on this site. Russia just out of the soviet era restoring the monarchy? Stability my rear end, anyone in russia knew the degeneracy of the czars and the white exiles. The white russian exile groups were rife with degenerate backstabbing and would not have facilitated any kind of stability.

In short, too much monarchism in this story and this site.

I have to ask, why are the users of alternatehistory.com overwhelmingly monarchist?
Because it is a better form of government to some and also when you study history you will find out the ancient proud stories of the crowned heads of Europe. I also would not call us overwhelmingly monarchist since the radical leftist thread is quite large.

I have to ask, why are the users of alternatehistory.com overwhelmingly monarchist? Monarchists are fractions of the population, and yet overrepresented on this site. Russia just out of the soviet era restoring the monarchy? Stability my rear end, anyone in russia knew the degeneracy of the czars and the white exiles. The white russian exile groups were rife with degenerate backstabbing and would not have facilitated any kind of stability.

In short, too much monarchism in this story and this site.
You know, you can express your views, but when you start making comments like 'my rear end' 'degeneracy' etc, you can just leave this thread. I have no time to entertain people who like to question other people's beliefs by making such statements.

Also yes i am monarchist, anyone whose been on this site for the past 6 months can attest to that fact. Nonetheless, i have only used the monarchy in places it was plausible to restore in the modern world. Yugoslavia had a surge of monarchism after the 1990s, Russia does and still has a third of their total population as monarchists and pro-monarchists, Thank you very much. worse and more incompetent Yeltsin years, and some tweaking in the social situation, and encouragement of cultural conservatism wouldn't make it hard for the line to cross the threshold. The only realistic monarchic restorations barring these two are Georgia and Romania, and to some extent Albania. I use realism in my TLs, thank you very much. I do not intend to make a 'you get a monarchy', 'you get a monarchy' scenario.

In short, you are free to make your views heard, but make it in a polite manner, and do some research before hand before you make such comments. We can go on and on to debate about the advantage and disadvantage of the monarchical and republican system, but nonetheless, that is not the point of this TL.

I know this maybe a strange suggestion but with how big the influence of combat sport Is in russia , can russia either built or buy an mma company, if you're going to buy an mma company i would suggest buying pride fc since it use to be the biggest mma promotion in the world before the ufc buy it,
Hm, that's a good question. Will look into it thanks.

Because it is a better form of government to some and also when you study history you will find out the ancient proud stories of the crowned heads of Europe. I also would not call us overwhelmingly monarchist since the radical leftist thread is quite large.
like 8/10 of stories on this site in the 20th century where there is a republican form of government feature return of the monarchy.

like 8/10 of stories on this site in the 20th century where there is a republican form of government feature return of the monarchy.
Well that is the choice of the authors so unless it is entirely implausible ie. an absolutist French Monarchy in the 1900's its fine and as an avid reader far from 8/10 stories have a monarchical restoration.

Well that is the choice of the authors so unless it is entirely implausible ie. an absolutist French Monarchy in the 1900's its fine and as an avid reader far from 8/10 stories have a monarchical restoration.
More like thousands of tls have America conquering Canada and creating a republican galore in one of the most monarchist areas of the British empire. Not implausible, and as long as the manner in which it is done is realistic I don't really care. It needs to be realistic and fun at least.

What brands and models of cars are produced in ATL Russia? Also, has car technology progressed further than OTL - if there's more production of automobiles in the world, then there could be a more push to make newer and more sophisticated car designs.

And the most important questions, is Fiat the most popular brand in Europe? :D