• No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Perhaps?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good chapter and update, this John Kerry fellow looks like he could win during the next election if Bush doesn't realize the quagmire the US is throwing themselves in, the monarchy restoration part was also interesting and I hope there's more updates about the cultural situation in Russia. Keep up the good work and I eagerly await for the next update.

Good chapter and update, this John Kerry fellow looks like he could win during the next election if Bush doesn't realize the quagmire the US is throwing themselves in, the monarchy restoration part was also interesting and I hope there's more updates about the cultural situation in Russia. Keep up the good work and I eagerly await for the next update.
Thanks, any predictions?

Thanks, any predictions?
I expect that the US may "win" in Iraq (capturing Baghdad and killing Saddam) but having to deal with a nightmarish insurgence with war crimes and brutality that would make guantanamo bay look like a kid's playground and the heavy international condemnation and probably the implosion of Bush's already fragile public image, while Russia would do everything in their power to take advantage of the situation and try to dislodge more of NATO out of the middle east.

I expect that the US may "win" in Iraq (capturing Baghdad and killing Saddam) but having to deal with a nightmarish insurgence with war crimes and brutality that would make guantanamo bay look like a kid's playground and the heavy international condemnation and probably the implosion of Bush's already fragile public image, while Russia would do everything in their power to take advantage of the situation and try to dislodge more of NATO out of the middle east.
Hm.....good prediction, though not gonna confirm anything. Any others?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but until what time period/year are you going to carry this timeline? Bush’s fallout (which I expect to be drastic) as the Americans discover what’s really going on in Iraq will be exciting to savour. Monarchical restoration I think is very interesting although sort of remote, but the government’s seemingly ambivalent attitude towards the republic (heck, even the President thinks so) will probably boost the movement by leaps, so it’s going to be a ride no doubt. This TL’s got me excited enough to stop lurking, so please continue to feed us all! :)

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but until what time period/year are you going to carry this timeline? Bush’s fallout (which I expect to be drastic) as the Americans discover what’s really going on in Iraq will be exciting to savour. Monarchical restoration I think is very interesting although sort of remote, but the government’s seemingly ambivalent attitude towards the republic (heck, even the President thinks so) will probably boost the movement by leaps, so it’s going to be a ride no doubt. This TL’s got me excited enough to stop lurking, so please continue to feed us all! :)
Thanks! that's a high complement.

It's actually funny that today in countries such as Brazil and Russia, monarchical sentiments are rising, and I am just harnessing those into reality in an ATL. IRL, Yavlinsky is pretty neutral towards the idea of restoration, and Boris Nemtsov was an outspoken Monarchist as well......well before he was assassinated by Putin, but i digress.

Some Butterflies involved in this chapter! Thoughts?

Call me biased but I do not see how the Iraqis would be in position to hold back a US army invasion even if liberally supplied with Russian and I suppose Chinese light arms. In OTL about 239,000 coalition troops inflicted something in the order of 30-32,000 casualties on 538,000 Iraqis with only 820 casualties of their own. Remove everyone but the US and the US at a rough calculation might lose... about 1022 to inflict the same level of casualties on the Iraqis (using Lanchester's square law for the calculation)

Call me biased but I do not see how the Iraqis would be in position to hold back a US army invasion even if liberally supplied with Russian and I suppose Chinese light arms. In OTL about 239,000 coalition troops inflicted something in the order of 30-32,000 casualties on 538,000 Iraqis with only 820 casualties of their own. Remove everyone but the US and the US at a rough calculation might lose... about 1022 to inflict the same level of casualties on the Iraqis (using Lanchester's square law for the calculation)
True true, However Iraq is going to turn very interesting. It's not going to be like Vietnam, It's not going to be like OTL either. And these are simply initial American difficulties. The American position in Iraq is going change favorably pretty soon.

With an economically strong Russia, they will very soon revive attempts to export cultures like the Soviet Union. There would be strong encroachments to push for Russian musics and pop cultures deep into former Soviet allies, and government-sponsored cultural diplomacy/exhibition across the world. It could be interesting to examine the Russo-American cultural competition ITTL.

With an economically strong Russia, they will very soon revive attempts to export cultures like the Soviet Union. There would be strong encroachments to push for Russian musics and pop cultures deep into former Soviet allies, and government-sponsored cultural diplomacy/exhibition across the world. It could be interesting to examine the Russo-American cultural competition ITTL.
Very true and indeed I do have some pop culture and cultural developments planned.

Cultural developments of Russia in this TL is quite fascinating contrasts. It is true that Russia after collapse of Soviet Union didn't export their cultures due to economic reasons. One of the interesting and odd things here is monarchical restoration in Russia. Let alone in the era of modern world. But then again, Tsarist autocracy won't be welcome of course. But monarchy restoration will be long way to go.

The Iraq War in this TL won't be ever the same as in OTL. I predicted the Americans will have tough time occupying Iraq.

Cultural developments of Russia in this TL is quite fascinating contrasts. It is true that Russia after collapse of Soviet Union didn't export their cultures due to economic reasons. One of the interesting and odd things here is monarchical restoration in Russia. Let alone in the era of modern world. But then again, Tsarist autocracy won't be welcome of course. But monarchy restoration will be long way to go.

The Iraq War in this TL won't be ever the same as in OTL. I predicted the Americans will have tough time occupying Iraq.
Yeah. Again it's quite odd that even otl today around a third of the entire russian population supports restoration.

Iraq is going to be.......quite the event ITTL....

Some thoughts I have:
IOTL, Russia experiences a lot of brain drain, but China, with its miracle economic growth and prosperity, has managed to see many of its scientists begin returning to the country or at least kept them within the border. ITTL, there maybe a good amount of Russian researchers returning to Russia and keeping Russia a scientific powerhouse, possibly on par with Germany.
If the economic miracle lasts, Russia could wind up attracting even more talents. Meanwhile, India, with a more broken tie with Russia, will see most of its talents remain in India or move to US, and so the US will probably have fewer Russian-born or Chinese-born scientists and more Indian-born ones.
My prediction: Russia could push very hard for creating scholarships around the world, and Russian scholarships could be very common by 2020.

Some thoughts I have:
IOTL, Russia experiences a lot of brain drain, but China, with its miracle economic growth and prosperity, has managed to see many of its scientists begin returning to the country or at least kept them within the border. ITTL, there maybe a good amount of Russian researchers returning to Russia and keeping Russia a scientific powerhouse, possibly on par with Germany.
If the economic miracle lasts, Russia could wind up attracting even more talents. Meanwhile, India, with a more broken tie with Russia, will see most of its talents remain in India or move to US, and so the US will probably have fewer Russian-born or Chinese-born scientists and more Indian-born ones.
My prediction: Russia could push very hard for creating scholarships around the world, and Russian scholarships could be very common by 2020.
Very astute!
Yes, education portions will be kept in my 'socio cultural' articles and give a glimpse of some of the things you mentioned.

Chapter 16: The Situation on the ground
Chapter 16: The Situation on the ground

April 11th, 2003

أمريكا تستولي على بغداد! إعلان انتهاء الحرب في العراق!

Mustafa Ashghar clenched his hands as he watched the news on the television. He was the son of a rich wealthy merchant here in Tikrit, and was one of the few who could afford televisions, however yet, anger bubbled underneath the surface.

He glanced towards the broken window of his house as he heard the swerving move of a fighter plane. The Americans seemed to be delighting in the destruction of another country; and his anger only seemed to grow. He clenched his teeth. His father had been the most respected man in Tikrit, and yet when bombs of America fell on their city, it discriminated no one. His father had died and his mother had been disfigured for life.

Anger unlike anything else had gripped him as he watched American troops enter the city unopposed as his fellow Iraqis could nothing else but simply sit back and watch in horror unable to do anything. He started to growl as his sister entered the room. Fatima was no longer the beautiful sister he once knew. War had claimed her husband in Basra and the bombs that killed father and disfigured mother had made a permanent mental scar on Fatima’s psyche. She was quiet, no longer the boisterous woman she once was, she was timid, no longer the outgoing woman that she was, she was always shivering as if remembering the bombs that befell her, no longer the carefree woman that she once was.

“Fatima.” Mustafa murmured as she entered the room. Fatima knelt down and put a cup of water and some dates on a plate. Mustafa was thankful to Allah. Whilst many of his Iraqi brethren suffered from hunger, at least his family had some sort of asset with which they could afford amenities like food.

Murmuring a small prayer to Him Mustafa began to eat the dates. Fatima simply stared into empty space. Mustafa couldn’t help but feel a twinge of anger and sadness as he saw the sorry state of his sister.

“Fatima.” He murmured. “How is the situation within the city?”

“Bad.” Fatima murmured back. “The Americans won’t admit of course, but there have been rumors of beatings, thefts, and even rapes. Some say revenge for the early defeats of the American troops in Basra.”

“How many Americans were killed in the invasion?” Mustafa asked softly as he bit into another date.

“The television says 1672 soldiers.” Fatima murmured.

Rage filled Mustafa when he heard that. Thousands, maybe even a hundred thousand had died in Iraq due to the invasion and 1672 was the maximum amount of casualties they could inflict on the Americans? Gritting his teeth, Mustafa kept his mouth shut and simply bit aggressively into his dates. For the past 22 years, Mustafa had seen and known nothing but war. The Iraq-Iran War, the Kuwait War, and now this. And the danger of all was starting to creep into his mind.

Fatima stood up and left the room after his plates of dates had finished, presumably to bring some more dates back. Mustafa simply stared at the television screen with anger whilst gulping some drops of water from his glass.

Later that evening, his friend Ibrahim Fadel came to visit Mustafa during the evening. Ibrahim sat down in front of him in the guest room as Mustafa stared at him Ibrahim in trepidation.

“Ibrahim what is it that you want?” Mustafa asked angrily.

“Is that how you speak with your old friend Saheb?” Ibrahim smiled. “Nevertheless, I only came here to check up on my old friend. How are you holding up from all of this Mustafa?”

“Badly.” Mustafa murmured. “We have humiliated by heathens, and our loved ones have died! And now they dare, they dare! They steal, beat and rape as they please on our soil. Can we do nothing?!”

“America is the greatest country in this world.” Ibrahim pointed out.

“It is not!” Mustafa cried. “The country that killed off all it’s indigenous population to be a mere shadow of its former self, the country that backed hundreds of genocidal regimes and civil wars, the country that has no morals or qualms in throwing their allies, we were once their allies against Iran don’t forget, under the bus, is by no measure the greatest country in this world!”

“Quite the ferocious speech there my friend.” Ibrahim simply stated as he looked at Mustafa. “Yes, what you say is true, however America’s military might is currently unchallenged. Only Russia and China come close, and they too by a far margin.”

Mustafa slumped down. “What can we do then? This is our country. It is our dignity. We have done nothing wrong this time. I can understand Kuwait grudgingly, but what have we done now?”

“Apparently we have nukes stored in the country.” Ibrahim replied dryly.

“Yes, and America would dare to invade a country with nukes.” Mustafa remarked snidely.

“Exactly the point.” Ibrahim pointed out.

“Yeah yeah I get it. So they invaded us just for the sake of it?”

“No.” Ibrahim shook his head. “Don’t you get it my friend? There are two reasons why. They got rid of a global competitor for influence in Arabia. And they also got rid of an Islamic Regime.”

“What has He got to do with this?” Mustafa frowned confused.

“Don’t you get it?” Ibrahim cried out in a small voice. “Of course it has everything to do with Him! Americans, they are Christians! And unlike the Europeans who mellowed with age, the Americans are radicals in Christianity, surely you have heard about the Klu Klux Klan?”

“Yes I have.” Mustafa nodded reluctantly.

“These Americans…..they have no respect for us Moslems. They want to eradicate us see?” Ibrahim murmured.

“Eradicate Moslems?” Mustafa asked incredulously. “Impossible. There are over a billion of us!”

“Ah, but the process starts now don’t it? Why is it that a Christian donation fund from the Americans have opened up right across the street as the American troops swoop in?”

“They want to convert us?”

“That is presumably…..their plan.”

“Heresy! They have waged war on us, destroyed our national heritage and pride, and now they seek to take our religion from us?” Mustafa cried as he felt some tears prick his eyes.

“It is a shame.” Ibrahim shook his head. He stuck his hand in his pocket and passed a paper to him. “If you want to help the…….cause, come see us.”

“Ibrahim?” Mustafa frowned. “What is this?”

“You’ll know.”

Mustafa peered at the paper later and read:

الله أكبر. العراق رائع

Mustafa clenched his hands and stood up. He looked at Ibrahim and nodded. Ibrahim smiled and said “Follow me then.”

“Dimitri, how goes the situation in Iraq?”

“Sir! We have around 60,000 Assault Rifles from the Soviet Era along with twice the usage ammunitions ready to be departed to Iraq.”

“Good, good. Have the Kurds and the Iraqi militias agreed to take them from our…..ah….third party reporter?”

“Yes sir. They have agreed. In fact the Iraqis have vowed to throw the Americans out of Iraq and erm…..destroy the American civilization. Their words sir, not mine.”

“I get it. These Middle Easterners and Arabs are very emotional. That’s good. We can use that to our advantage.”

“Sir what are the orders of the president?”

“Operation 1A1 is to commence immediately agent.”

“Authorization sir?”

“Here.”

“………Seems good. Director Putin has also signed the decree. Very well. These weapons are suddenly and mysteriously going to find their hands on Iraqis.”

“Good. And make sure to get all the intel you can from the Americans. Don’t mind playing a few games here and there as well. Give those americans a taste of their own medicine will you?”

“Of course sir. I shall…….delight in it.” A Feminine voice came out.

IRAQ IN INSURGENCY! A WEEK AFTER AMERICA CLAIMED VICTORY, KURDS AND IRAQIS HAVE RISEN UP IN INSURGENCY! 39 AMERICAN TROOPS KILLED CONFIRMED!

1597656724047.png

Iraqi Insurgents.

Last edited: