Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Perhaps?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What makes you say that?
They need a more secure springboard to Central Europe. Belarus has a limited border with Poland (around 80 mi.) Getting Ukraine means that you will get access to 45 million-populated country, with important docks in Mykolaiv, uranium mines in Zaporizhya. Donbass, and Krivbass, and overall a big economical industrial base. Also you get Kyiv, in which slavic people were turned into Christianity by Volodymyr the Great. Which is a big win for Russian Orthodox Church and overall narrative of Russia being supreme leader of all Eastern Europe. You also get a specialized factories in Dnipro, then Dnipropetrovsk, which are specialized on making rockets, missiles for space-related activities, and are able to produce MRBM/ICBM's. Aka KB "Yuzhmash".

If Russia wants to be a superpower, it needs Ukraine. It's like that America can't be a superpower, if you take away California, Texas and Florida.

They need a more secure springboard to Central Europe. Belarus has a limited border with Poland (around 80 mi.) Getting Ukraine means that you will get access to 45 million-populated country, with important docks in Mykolaiv, uranium mines in Zaporizhya. Donbass, and Krivbass. Also you get Kyiv, in which slavic people were turned into Christianity by Volodymyr the Great. Which is a big win for Russian Orthodox Church and overall narrative of Russia being supreme leader of all Eastern Europe. You also get a specialized factories in Dnipro, then Dnipropetrovsk, which are specialized on making rockets, missiles for space-related activities, and are able to produce MRBM/ICBM's. Aka KB "Yuzhmash".

If Russia wants to be a superpower, it needs Ukraine. It's like that America can't be a superpower, if you take away California, Texas and Florida.
Huh knew about the others, but didn't know Ukraine could produce ICBM's.

That's why I still hate Russia of thia TL. Sure, it's less fascistic, but it's still pretty much an authoritarian democracy, with nationalist and chauvinistic bent of being gatherer of the lost lands. And it's way more competent. That's a worse TL than OTL for me

That's why I still hate Russia of thia TL. Sure, it's less fascistic, but it's still pretty much an authoritarian democracy, with nationalist and chauvinistic bent of being gatherer of the lost lands. And it's way more competent. That's a worse TL than OTL for me
Well that's the point of the TL......more competent and stronger Russia. Sorry though I know that nationalism for own country's can make some TL's on this site a little hard to read, and as an Ukrainian it would be pretty hard to read about a stronger Russia. As a Briton, if I read a TL where the French win the 7 Years War etc, I sometimes have a mental fit, so it's normal.
So syria isn’t a russia allies anymore ?
Not official allies......just economic partners for the moment.
They still can. We are currently producing space missile engines for Americans. It's just that we don't have enough money to produce actual ICBM's, space missiles and other stuff. Capabilities are here.
Thanks for the info!

Global Reaction and America Gears Up. (end of 2002)
Chapter 13: Global Reaction and America Gears Up.

New York Times:-

Polish Foreign Minister speaks up! Paints a target at Russia!

November 8th

Yesterday evening in a press conference, Polish Foreign Minister Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz has denounced the Russian intervention in Georgia and has stated that ‘The Russian occupied territories in Georgia did not conduct a free and fair referendum nor election. It is highly likely they were rigged in favor of Russia and her allies in Georgia’.

Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov of the Russian Federation has denounced this statement from the Polish Foreign Ministry calling it ‘a disgraceful statement to the hundreds of Georgians and Russians who gave their lives for the betterment of the Caucasian peoples’. He has called on to the Turkish embassy alongside the Armenian and Azerbaijani Embassy as these countries oversaw the elections and the referendums. The Turkish Foreign Minister Sukru Sian Gurel has called upon the Polish ambassador to Turkey to provide support on behalf of Russia. The new Georgian government under President Tarkhan-Mouravi has also denounced this statement stating that the Georgian elections and referendums were free and fair. He also lambasted the Polish Foreign Ministry stating that ‘if the referendums were fake and not fair, then Abkhazia would be an independent nation today to weaken the Caucasian unity amongst its peoples. This would be a sound geopolitical strategy and the mere fact that this has not happened is proof enough that the referendums were not rigged, and unfair.’

Poland however has not changed its stance from all statements, and from what we know, the Poles and Turks are currently talking about this issue to NATO. The heavyweights of NATO such as France and Britain have advocated for peace and resolution with French President Jacques Chirac stating that ‘NATO must not be hurdled with such things.’

The unity of NATO is being called into action without a ‘bogey man’ like the Soviets to keep their interests tied together due to this small crisis that is becoming enveloped in Eastern Europe.

1596958306474.png

Polish Foreign Minister, Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz

The Times:

Baltic Assembly meets in Tallinn to decided official stance regarding Russia.

November 11th,

The leaders of the countries of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are meeting each other today this day to decide on a firm united foreign policy regarding the Russian intervention in Georgia. The Russian government has stated that they will also send observers as Estonia is an observer member of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.

Expectations are low, however as the diffraction between Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania continues to grow. The Latvians and Lithuanians are largely opposed to the continued Estonian membership as an observer state in the CSTO and this has become a huge hurdle for the nations to face.

President Yavlinsky has announced that should Estonia leave the CSTO, then the alliance would honor the decision, however the diplomatic fallout between the members and Estonia would be too heavy a price for Estonia to even consider. Considering around 30% of their economy is driven by the Russian oil, Azerbaijani oil, Yugoslav minerals, Russian agriculture and Kazakh food, the Estonians are very aware of this, and are largely trying to mediate the crisis developing in Eastern and Northern Europe.

1596958526602.png

Logo of the Baltic Assembly.

The Sun:

Baltic Assembly Meeting Fruitless!

November 13th,

Unfortunately for the Republic of Lithuania and Latvia, the diffraction between Estonia and the other two seems to have been a large contributor to the fact that none of the meetings seem to have gone ahead as planned. The Estonians have planned to remain neutral in the issue whilst Latvia and Lithuania are planning for a joint declaration in support of the stance of Poland.

Russian Prime Minister Nemtsov has warned that should tensions escalate then the economic discrepancy would be very hard for all nations involved to overcome.

BBC News Headlines

November 14th

“Hello everyone, I’m Zulab Abuladze, the local BBC correspondent here in Georgia. The situation here in Georgia is very calm in fact. Despite what the outside world seems to be doing, the question about the electoral fraud here in Georgia itself isn’t a big issue. The election of David Tarkhan-Mouravi seems to have paved the way for internal stability within the nation, and the country is very happy to see this after months and years of ethnic and political violence.” Zulab started as he stood behind a column of Russian tanks moving out of the capital city of Tbilisi.

“As you can see behind me, the Russian troops are now evacuating Georgia, their original goals of restoring stability in the region accomplished. As you can see behind me, many Georgians are on the streets giving out gifts to the Russian soldiers. This is largely due to the fact that the Russian intervention saved multiple lives and restored the collapsed economy of Georgia. This has made livelihood in Georgia all the better, and the people are expressing their gratitude to the soldiers.” Zulab stated as the cameraman showed a few middle aged women handing over packets of Georgian dishes to some Russian soldiers who seemed to be very uncomfortable with them.

Zulab walked forward and managed to bag one of them for an interview.

“Hello Miss. I am the local BBC correspondent here in Georgia, and I was hoping that we could interview for a few minutes.” Zulab asked politely.

The woman, a middle aged blonde smiled slightly timidly and nodded.

“Thank you miss. What is your name?”

“Natella Abkhazi.”

“Thank you. Ms. Abkhazi, we here saw you hand out food to that uncomfortable Russian soldier along with several other Russian soldiers. Forgive me for being curious, but why?” Zulab asked.

“Ah well, the Civil War had destroyed the monetary system of Georgia. As a local you must have known that besides the cities and urban populace, the country was in utter anarchy. Food was hard to come by and electricity by that point was utterly gone. The Russian intervention has not only restored the stability of the nation, but they have also made the living situation here in our glorious country easier and more proper. For that, I and my sister along with hundreds here are thanking the Russians.”

“Thank you Ms. Abkhazi.” Zulab thanked and turned back to the camera. “And well, that is all for today here in Georgia. For better or worse, it seems that the Russians have won over the hearts of majority of the Georgian population. President David Tourkhan-Mouravi is going to be have a press conference today regarding the Russian withdrawal of troops.”

Washington Journal:-

Pope John Paul II lambasts President Bush! Calling possible Military Intervention in Iraq, a crime against God.

November 28th

With the recent events going on in the Caucasian Mountains, President Bush has publically announced that military intervention in Iraq is ‘on the table’. News of this circulated worldwide yesterday and by the evening, the world’s reaction was tumultuous. NATO obviously supported its American ally, however the Pope, has denounced the option.

In a public mass yesterday evening in the Sistine Cathedral, Pope John Paul II stated “Mr. President you know my opinion loud and clear. Let’s talk about something else. Every violence, against one or against millions, is blasphemy addressed against the likeness of God.”

1596958674734.png

Pope John Paul II

Similarly, the option for military intervention in Iraq has generated mass anti-war riots all across the world. The Russian intervention in Georgia already created a tense situation, and now with the capability of America going off on her own intervention has rattled everyone in the international stage. German Foreign Secretary Joshka Fischer blatantly point blank told reporters yesterday evening in Berlin “Weapons of Mass Destruction? Excuse me, but I am not convinced.”

1596958585795.png

Joshka Fischer.

Pre-eminent World Leaders have also condemned the option and the passing of the legate in the American Congress. Nelson Mandela, the President of South Africa denounced it stating that ‘All that Mr. Bush and by proxy America wants is Iraqi Oil.’

Russian President Yavlinsky has also lambasted the option. He and I quote said “Intervention in Georgia was the last option for us. We did what we could to find a proper peaceful solution, however events forced us into intervention. Currently the Iraqi government has already agreed to honor United National Resolution 1441 and disarm their nation alongside observers from neutral states. This doctrine of pre-emptive strikes is not something that is viable at all today. It was once viable until the 19th century, but President Bush must understand that is no longer the case. Every single Iraqi that will die, their faults shall be laid down on your feet. That is not a legacy anyone today wants.”

President Bush has however protected his stance stating that the military option being on the table is necessary and required for a proper negotiating table with the Iraqis. How this will unfold in the future is unknown.

Prime Minister Tony Blair of the United Kingdom had been initially supportive of the option, however with the widespread opposition to this, from the conservatives and the labour party itself, he has stated that the United Kingdom is currently debating on its stance regarding this issue.

The Global Times:

Sierra Leone announces Monarchial Restoration!

December 7th,

After the widely popular British intervention in Sierra Leone, the pro-British feelings in Sierra Leone is at an all-time high. The President of Sierra Leone, Ahmad Tejan Kabbah, announced on December 6th, that after much consideration and deliberation with the Parliament and the lower house of Sierra Leone, the government has overwhelmingly agreed to restore Sierra Leone within the Commonwealth as a ‘Realm of the Queen’. The British Prime Minister Tony Blair has received this message with open arms calling it ‘an avenue for future expansion and cooperation between the members of the Commonwealth of Nations.’ Personally, Queen Elizabeth II has announced that should the new amendment to the Sierra Leone Constitution be passed through the higher house, then she would be more than delighted for the restoration.

1596959053298.png

Sierra Leone's President, Ahmad Tejan Kabbah

The Economical Times:

Russia announces New Infrastructural Deal

December 28th, 2002

Russian Minister of Economics, Yevgeny Yasin has announced that Russia is going to implement a new Infrastructural Deal within the construction companies of the nation to upgrade the infrastructure of Russia. In the past few years, the Russian economy has made great strides and leaps forward, however the infrastructural level remains comparatively behind in comparison to other states in the near vicinity. In order to rectify this, a new deal has been implemented. This deal includes tax breaks, incentives and rationalization being offered to Russian construction companies to grant them more incentives to conduct upgrading works in the infrastructural sector of the nation.

Russia’s infrastructure remains one of the best at least in European Russia, and it is believed that this deal is aimed at Siberia. This deal is thought to create more competition between construction companies, and all in all, it seems that this new deal is the brainchild of Prime Minister Nemtsov, which has been supported by President Yavlinsky. This deal is to be implemented from next year, as the date of the implementation of the common area and free market of the CSTO looms over everyone in Eurasia.

Attachments

• 1596958280590.png
    1596958280590.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 230
Yesterday evening in a press conference, Polish Foreign Minister Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz has denounced the Russian intervention in Georgia and has stated that ‘The Russian occupied territories in Georgia did not conduct a free and fair referendum nor election. It is highly likely they were rigged in favor of Russia and her allies in Georgia’.
What "evidence" did he present, I may ask?

Just finished reading it in one go and I must say it's a very interesting TL, Russian development is good to read and the interactions and butterflies feel realistic, I also like very much how you are now using reports and newspaper articles to describe what is going on it's a good alternative way of telling the situation and the POV of outsiders.
Anyway, keep up the good work and I'm both subscribed and in love with this!

Just finished reading it in one go and I must say it's a very interesting TL, Russian development is good to read and the interactions and butterflies feel realistic, I also like very much how you are now using reports and newspaper articles to describe what is going on it's a good alternative way of telling the situation and the POV of outsiders.
Anyway, keep up the good work and I'm both subscribed and in love with this!
Thanks!

It’s good to see Russia doing well in this TL, comparing to OTL. However, just because Russia is doing better doesn’t mean everyone will welcome it or have consequences of their own. I can see some certain nations like USA have some sort of knee-jerk reactions to stronger Russia. Nobody wants tougher competition...or threatened their interests.

Still, keep up the good work.

It’s good to see Russia doing well in this TL, comparing to OTL. However, just because Russia is doing better doesn’t mean everyone will welcome it or have consequences of their own. I can see some certain nations like USA have some sort of knee-jerk reactions to stronger Russia. Nobody wants tougher competition...or threatened their interests.

Still, keep up the good work.
Yeah, they will. This is just that economically Russia has been doing better. With military slowly creeping in, things will start to change as well.

The Shitstorm hits us all

Chapter 13: The Shitstorm hits us all

2003 (1)

The Diplomat:

CSTO Reforms Implemented! Free Market Era begins in the East!

January 1

The CSTO has now announced that the CSTO Free Market Area and the CSTO Free Movement Area are now activated. This means that the currency being used in the east is now the ‘Ruble’. Unlike the Ukrainian or Russian Ruble, this Ruble is going to be used as the common currency of this free market system with countries such as Yugoslavia, Russia, Ukraine, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are all now implementing this scheme. The European Union has recognized this free market system and has stated that they would be open for new trade deals. The CSTO has agreed. Meanwhile the CSTO nations have agreed to meet each other in Odessa, Ukraine a week later from this date to discuss about potential new members. Azerbaijan and Georgia are both nations that are pinning to join the CSTO economic block now, with other countries such as Mongolia and South Ossetia open for negotiations as well. However tensions simmer as the Armenian and Azerbaijani dispute over Nagarno-Karabakh is expected to rise during this summit.

Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov of the Russian Federation has announced that during this summit, the Russian government would everything it could to provide a middle ground solution for both sides. The Azerbaijan and Armenian governments have responded stating that as long as both country’s interests were kept in order, then they would follow through with any mediation made, and start a new chapter of good relations. No plan has come forward till date. However the mood remains optimistic.

1597126946052.png

CSTO summit.

President Yavlinsky has stated that ‘The situation in Nagarno-Karabakh is a very delicate issue, and it is the hope of the Russian government that during this CSTO summit, the organization will be able to make a permanent decision.’

We await further news.

The New York Times

Russia, Ukraine, Yugoslavia raise proposal to end Armenian-Azerbaijan Conflict in Conference! Armenia and Azerbaijan debates start!

January 10

The Nagarno-Karabakh region has been a hotspot for tensions and war for the past decades, with a proto-war raging on in the area ever since 1988, for 15 years by this point. The Russian government has announced alongside the Yugoslav and Ukrainian government’s a proposal to end the conflict once and for all.

The Odessa Proposal as it is known proposes the following:-

• Armenia and Azerbaijan to conduct a population exchange. The Azeris of Nakhchivan to be exchanged for the Armenians of Nagarno-Karabakh.
  • Armenia to buy the Azerbaijani Exclave of Nakhchivan for $250 Million.
  • Armenia to withdraw all troops from Azerbaijani soil.
  • Armenia and Azerbaijan to be subsidized economically by the CSTO for 2 years.
  • Azerbaijan to gain the regions of Berd and Paravakar from Armenia in return for Nakhchivan. These areas have an Azeri plurality.
  • Both sides in the CSTO shall not have the free access agreement extend to each other to keep ethnic tensions at a low state.
1597126907627.png

The lands to be given to Azerbaijan.

The Azerbaijani and Armenian government have shown some amount of trepidation regarding a population exchange however the Estonian government has pointed out towards the recent population exchange of Estonians and Russians between Russia and Estonia in the past few years. The population exchange in the batlics had been largely successful and the Estonian government and the other members of the CSTO have given their support to this proposal. The Armenian and Azerbaijani governments are both in session to discuss this proposal.

Russian president Yavlinsky has also stated “Should fears of ethnic tensions arise, the Russian armed forces are willing to take over peacekeeping duties in the region until the name the population exchange is over. Our troops shall make sure that violence does not occur and is kept at a minimum.”

In other news of the summit, it seems that Mongolia and Georgia have agreed to hold referendums on joining the CSTO economic block. The referendums are going to be taken during the middle of the year it seems. The Mongolian government has also announced that they would be willing to join the military block of the CSTO alliance as well. This topic is slated to be brought up in the Belgrade CSTO Summit in July 2002. Georgia has also shown signs of probably maneuvering towards this notion in the future.

The Washington Journal

Armenian National Assembly votes 67-65 in favor of the Odessa Proposal!

News awaits from Azerbaijan!

January 12

The Moscow Times

Azerbaijani National Assembly votes 63-62 in favor of Odessa Proposal!

Diplomatic Channels awaits!

January 19

The Sun:

Odessa Proposal to be carried through by Armenia and Azerbaijan under the Eyes of the CSTO

January 23

The acceptance of the Odessa Proposal has made the news around the world stumble back in shock. According to the spokesperson of the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, the official notice given is:-

The Odessa Proposals submitted by Russia, Ukraine, and Yugoslavia are perhaps not the ideal solution for either of our nations. However for what it is worth, it is the best solution for both parties involved.

This seems to be the formal statement of the Azerbaijani government. Rumors come forward that President Heydar Aliyev of Azerbaijan had been opposed to the proposal, however it seems that the parliament and National Assembly of Azerbaijan voted against him and his beliefs marking one of the few times the Azerbaijani government went against the cult of personality made by President Aliyev.

1597127002383.png

President Heydar Aliyev of Azerbaijan.

President Robert Kocharyan of Armenia supported the proposal and the National Assembly voted in favor. The Russian government is now issuing elements of the 58th Army to be sent to Armenia and Azerbaijan to conduct the peacekeeping operations. From all statistics involved, it seems that around 300,000 Azeris will be swapped over for around 260,000 Armenians. This stat is discounting the amount of Armenians and Azeris that will to have to be exchanged from Berd or Nakhchivan.

1597127128854.png

Armenian President Robert Kocharyan

The United Nations are in full support of this proposal as long as it remains peaceful. The American government has raised concerns that the population exchange could lead to ethnic violence at the border, however the CSTO countries have given full assurance that they will not. Overtures are being made to the Turkish and Greek governments to send peacekeeping troops as well as neutral bystanders. The Greek government has accepted this offer, and has pledged around 500 Peacekeeping troops. Turkey has also accepted this offer, however has not disclosed the amount of peacekeeping troops they will be sending. It is expected to be around 1200 troops at maximum.

The first population exchange is slated to take place on February 10th where around 25,000 are going to be exchanged by both sides from the report released by the CSTO.

The Times

America Invades! Iraq in War!

February 4th.

On February 1st, President Bush of the United States of America handed an ultimatum to the Iraqi government demanding Saddam Hussein to resign from power and to allow free elections in Iraq. He has also accused the Iraqi government of having and hiding Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. Amidst anti-war protests across the world, the ultimatum has a 48 hour time limit attached to it.

Prime Minister Tony Blair of the United Kingdom yesterday announced that any invasion wouldn’t be supported by the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom’s bases in the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf would allow re-supply etc to Coalition troops, however would not participate directly. It is rumored that a threat of civil war within the Labour Party itself and the anti-war protests coupled with the Georgian Intervention by Russia and the Iraqi intervention by America forced Prime Minister Blair’s hand. He has advised the Australian government to do the same, however the Australian government has not responded in public to this ‘advice’.

News has arrived that 36 Tomahawk missiles have landed and devastated parts of Iraq as the 48 hour ultimatum ended. America has begun the Invasion of Iraq alongside some Coalition troops. The World’s Reaction is going to be measured tomorrow as the UN convenes in an emergency meeting in New York tomorrow morning. We will get back to you later on this issue with another article when sufficient information is made public and becomes known.

1597127203733.png

Missile attacks on Baghdad. The War in Iraq began.