Russia occupies the German Confederation

Grey Wolf

Donor
This is for an idea that is gestating within my gonads.

There is no necessary date, as long as it is after the formation of the Confederation, so nothing pre-Vienna.
There is no necessary late date, if we avoid events that led to its collapse - but how to avoid those?

Russia obviously had power-projection, just look at Suvarov in Switzerland, or the Russian armies in the Netherlands, or the Cossacks in Paris, so it's not out of the question for them to be able to do this.

I am looking at the German Confederation to be occupied, rather than in alliance, but Russia will presumably play off some of the states against others, have some it works with, and some it holds down. I'm trying to avoid the idea that because Russia occupies this territory it can field millions of men in German divisions, and instead look at the idea that any forces it might raise from a state that supports them would be used to hold down a state that does not.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

How about:

(1) The Revolutions of 1848 go much, much worse for the Germans, which require Russian "assistance" to crush it.

(2) Said Russians forget to leave.

(3) Shenanigans happen.

I know that this is incredibly unlikely, but I have this image in my mind of the tsar of some Russian hyperpower having a severe Roman revival fetish. It is not enough that the empire take Constantinople, he must collect all possible rival claims as well. To whit, he invades the German Confederation with the goal of reviving the Holy Roman Empire... so that they can give him that title as well.

Grey Wolf

Donor
How about:

(1) The Revolutions of 1848 go much, much worse for the Germans, which require Russian "assistance" to crush it.

(2) Said Russians forget to leave.

(3) Shenanigans happen.

Maybe they are not that bothered about Hungary? But get far more worried about Germany? It's an interesting question in a way because why would an independent Hungary be more of a worry than a unified Germany? Russia didn't own any Hungarian lands, and while they had worries about their own separatists why is that enough motivation?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I know that this is incredibly unlikely, but I have this image in my mind of the tsar of some Russian hyperpower having a severe Roman revival fetish. It is not enough that the empire take Constantinople, he must collect all possible rival claims as well. To whit, he invades the German Confederation with the goal of reviving the Holy Roman Empire... so that they can give him that title as well.

It's not a bad idea!

Since Napoleonic times, the title of Emperor has been with the Austrians. The idea that the Germans might unite and create ANOTHER one harking back to earlier centuries could be a serious worry.

Maybe they are not that bothered about Hungary? But get far more worried about Germany? It's an interesting question in a way because why would an independent Hungary be more of a worry than a unified Germany? Russia didn't own any Hungarian lands, and while they had worries about their own separatists why is that enough motivation?

Maybe the Hungarian revolution isn't as bad in this scenario, which leads to the Austrians being able to deal with it themselves?

Or not as bad relatively speaking, but the German revolution is sooo scary that the Russians dogpile on it.

The whole reason they joined was because they were scared of a Hungarian Revolution inspiring the Poles to take up arms again. The Tsar had just crushed the Polish November Uprising which was quite fierce in its fighting.

Or not as bad relatively speaking, but the German revolution is sooo scary that the Russians dogpile on it.
Maybe a Franco-Russian Imperial Alliance between Napoleon III and Tsar Nicholas I, or even Napoleon II if he lives.

So basically a player led Russia in EUIV right? This would be the nightmare of the British as India , Central Asia, and Iran are all threatened.

Maybe a more liberal German Greater Empire moulded in the style of the Orleans monarchy in France. The reactionary Tsar Nicholas would utterly detest this. He was friends with Louis-Phillipe II before he usurped the thrones from the Bourbons. He got very angry when Henri V's throne was usurped.