Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, let me put it this way. TTL 4th of July has been tainted by two events:

Rumsfeld's idiotic invasion of Cuba.

And the destruction of the Capitol.

America's own birthday has been poisoned with the memory of two events that heralded the downfall of the United States.

Aside from the physical and demographic destruction, there may be a certain trauma that will haunt all Americans for a long time, because their very traditions and ideals have been shredded.
And the insane thing is, the people responsible for those horrors thought that those events would be remembered positively on future July 4ths. They were completely out of sync with what the American people wanted thanks to their corrupt political networks.

And the insane thing is, the people responsible for those horrors thought that those events would be remembered positively on future July 4th. They were completely out of sync with what the American people wanted thanks to their corrupt political networks.

This goes well beyond insanity. These are men who could celebrate people like George Washington, while shamelessly shitting on everything he believed in. These were men who claimed to worship the beliefs of Christ, while committing nuclear massacres in his name. These are men who claimed to bring prosperity, while funneling people's wages into a large Ponzi scheme.

I think the shame of America's downfall TTL will be expressed this way:

"No where in history was the collapse of a great power as self-inflicted as that of America. Some great powers gradually declined over centuries. Others fell to conquest. Some declined due to environmental factors, like drought or plague. But America was destroyed by Americans themselves. Whereas Rome was sacked by barbarians, DC was sacked by its own people."

To those who survive the horrors, the Decade of Tears will be the REAL Dark Age.

This goes well beyond insanity. These are men who could celebrate people like George Washington, while shamelessly shitting on everything he believed in. These were men who claimed to worship the beliefs of Christ, while committing nuclear massacres in his name. These are men who claimed to bring prosperity, while funneling people's wages into a large Ponzi scheme.
The human capacity for hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Drew's was online like 45 minutes ago!
Hi.
I've never been away, just on to other things which took up my time, so I could never really devout my attention to this. I've also been thinking of other TLs -> some even featuring the irrepressible would-be President John J. McKeithen (shout out to Statesman - A Prescription of Gumbo in the Election of 1976). Maybe this time I will let him live to actually take office.
HHH+JJ.jpg

John J. McKeithen had a more significant role that you might realize, in part because no one has ever written a biography of the man. Hubert Humphrey liked him and did consider him for the ticket in 1968. Hmm..........................................

One of the things that stopped me on Rumsfeldia was that as the 2010's progressed some of what I had written was starting to have eerie echoes in reality:
1] Syria
2] ISIS filling the role of the PJO
3] A pandemic from China
4] Are Bernie Sanders and AOC We The People?
5] and - the Trump Presidency - and who could really outdo that with mere fiction? Let's face it, that's ASB made flesh.

#5 in particular made me wonder if someone was reading this and thinking Rumsfeldia was a good idea?

I can say the CV thing doesn't seem to be happening, -yet - but keep a close eye on Mike Pence. (Similar in thought to the idea that Jar Jar Binks was the real Sith Lord and Palpatine was his stooge - or was he?)

Geon

Donor
Hi.
I've never been away, just on to other things which took up my time, so I could never really devout my attention to this. I've also been thinking of other TLs -> some even featuring the irrepressible would-be President John J. McKeithen (shout out to Statesman - A Prescription of Gumbo in the Election of 1976). Maybe this time I will let him live to actually take office.
View attachment 579148
John J. McKeithen had a more significant role that you might realize, in part because no one has ever written a biography of the man. Hubert Humphrey liked him and did consider him for the ticket in 1968. Hmm..........................................

One of the things that stopped me on Rumsfeldia was that as the 2010's progressed some of what I had written was starting to have eerie echoes in reality:
1] Syria
3] A pandemic from China
5] and - the Trump Presidency - and who could really outdo that with mere fiction? Let's face it, that's ASB made flesh.

#5 in particular made me wonder if someone was reading this and thinking Rumsfeldia was a good idea?

I can say the CV thing doesn't seem to be happening, -yet - but keep a close eye on Mike Pence. (Similar in thought to the idea that Jar Jar Binks was the real Sith Lord and Palpatine was his stooge - or was he?)
Drew

First glad to see you back.

Second I hope you do continue this TL. However, regarding Mike Pence, I will simply say let's be careful to keep politics out of this lest we raise the wrath of the moderators.

Also, in passing, I really don't think Pence would ever countenance anything done by CV. That is all I am going to say on the matter.

Hi.
View attachment 579148

1] Syria
3] A pandemic from China

If anything, I'd say Rumsfeld and Co. are way too subtle when in comes to subverting checks and balances compared to OTL.

SuperZtar64

Banned
How to spend a night at college:

X Working on the mountain of readings you have to get through over the next two days
X Tidying up your PoliSci Essay with the dangerously fast-approaching deadline
X Going out with friends
X Calling your family
O Reading Fear, Loathing and Gumbo and Rumsfeldia for the fourth time

Last edited:
Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72

The link in the OP is broken. It's showing the BB code for a thread, not a link.

[FONT=&quot]From the time of the marriage announcement Veronica Crossin becomes the focus of intensive tabloid coverage, to the point that she has to call the police several times to have paparazzi removed from the front and rear areas of her home.
----------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
I'm getting this all throughout the front page.

Last edited:
-snip-

Well...

Trump has (and I say this diplomatically) elements of demagoguery, but I think there are substantive differences between Rumsfeldia and our current political age.

1. The two party system has remained mostly intact under Donald Trump. AOC and Sanders and their followers have tried to effect change from within the Democratic Party, and have not tried to strike out on their own.

2. While Trump and his followers have empathetically denied CO-VID, Rummy and his goons have promoted the evil Chinese flu ad nauseum in an attempt to promote xenophobia and fear.

3. America is a far different place politically than it was the 1980s. In almost all states, gay rights and marriage is more or less tolerated, weed is legal, transgender rights are becoming increasingly important, and "tough on crime" is no longer a successful political strategy. If the CV-type party came into existence, their rhetoric wouldn't have broad support.

4. Trump's rhetoric tends more toward a racial xenophobia, and not some bizarre capitalist cult, although there is definitely cronyism within his party, Trump has not tried to promote that at all.

Deleted member 96212

Was it ever explained what the work camps set up by the CVs look and operate like? For instance, what is it they're working on? Infrastructure projects? Resource gathering (logging, mining, etc.)? Construction? Manufacturing?

Was it ever explained what the work camps set up by the CVs look and operate like? For instance, what is it they're working on? Infrastructure projects? Resource gathering (logging, mining, etc.)? Construction? Manufacturing?
Arms manufacturing I think, the CVers were preparing for a military campaign to subjugate the world under them.

Status
Not open for further replies.