Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not just the CV that is the problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rumsfeld, in his insane quest for power, tried to back some radical aborigine group, or dangerous drug leaders, in a bid to destabilize Australia.

Interesting, but unlikely. The Indigenous population is very small compared to the total population, and most of them live in rural/regional areas. They would also be unlikely to support any group openly backed by Rumsfeld. Given this, any radicalised individuals would find themselves locked up fairly quickly, I would imagine the focus of the intelligence services (ASIO & ASIS) would have changed from a cold war scenario to monitoring threats from the likes of Rumsfeld & CVs. Given the situation in Asia, conscription probably would have been re-introduced as well, with a focus on protecting Northern Australia.

The drug trade here during this time was mainly controlled by the Mafia, whose members mainly came from fruit growing areas (the fruit & veg trade is well known for it's Mafia influence - some of the major players in the business are of Italian descent), and some local crime syndicates who imported heroin from S.E. Asia. Cocaine was, and still is seen here as the 'rich person's drug'. Police corruption was also rife at this time, especially in New South Wales/Sydney, and Queensland/Brisbane.

One of the more more notorious Aussie drug/crime figures of this time period, Robert Trimbole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Trimbole

It's possible I might have missed something but have we gotten closure on the fate of Rumsfeld himself? Is it presumed he's just imprisoned in some mental asylum, or is he likely dead? Has he made any public appearances since his impeachment or commented on the CVP?

I doubt he'd be making any public appearances, and everyone would probably be glad to drop all mention of him. The TRW and Rumsfeldian Republicans would say he had the right idea but went too far, and leave it at that. The CVs would say he was a deluded servant of Satan, nevermind how he got them into power by use of spoilers, divide-and-conquer, and loopholes, and everyone else would be cursing him either as the devil or the one responsible for the rise of the CVs.

It's possible I might have missed something but have we gotten closure on the fate of Rumsfeld himself? Is it presumed he's just imprisoned in some mental asylum, or is he likely dead? Has he made any public appearances since his impeachment or commented on the CVP?
He's incarcerated, no mention has been made of him since his impeachment.

His wife and children are laying low in Illinois.

Still, I find such a mindset to be so toxic: you believe you are God's chosen, that you can justify greed and selfishness because you carry a cross.

We can blame the Republican Southern Strategy for this. If nobody wanted to touch the Jesus nuts with a 10-foot long pole after the Democrats gave them the finger in order to support civil rights they would've been marginalized into irrelevance instead of taking over the Republican party.

We can blame the Republican Southern Strategy for this. If nobody wanted to touch the Jesus nuts with a 10-foot long pole after the Democrats gave them the finger in order to support civil rights they would've been marginalized into irrelevance instead of taking over the Republican party.

ITTL, people will regard the GOP's alliance with those evangelicals as being the worst Faustian bargain in history.

Another thought: IF the CV were about to overrun the areas of America's strategic nuclear silos, could the operators of the silos (who seem to be still loyal to the old US government) destroy the nuclear weapons themselves to prevent them from falling into CV hands? Or if failing that, they can make arrangements with Canadians and Europeans to abandon the silos and let the Canadian+European air forces take them out.

Another thought: IF the CV were about to overrun the areas of America's strategic nuclear silos, could the operators of the silos (who seem to be still loyal to the old US government) destroy the nuclear weapons themselves to prevent them from falling into CV hands? Or if failing that, they can make arrangements with Canadians and Europeans to abandon the silos and let the Canadian+European air forces take them out.
Destroying the silos would be fairly easy. I mean, given Rummyfeld's "quality assurance", there's already a pretyt good chance trying to launch just causes them to go off in the silo, so really....

Just try and launch them with the silo doors closed. Problem solved.

Destroying the silos would be fairly easy. I mean, given Rummyfeld's "quality assurance", there's already a pretyt good chance trying to launch just causes them to go off in the silo, so really....

Just try and launch them with the silo doors closed. Problem solved.

Uhh…

If you did that, you risk unleashing radiation nearby, and damaging the surrounding environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.