Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what happened to Erich Honecker TTL.

My best guess by mid-eighties he got eased into retirement by the Soviets in order to pave the way for German reunification.
Maybe the Soviets might find a more dynamic figure to replace him, maybe even cultivate him and SED to be a legit political force once reunification happens.
I also wonder if Central Group of Forces got withdrawn from Czechoslovakia in addition to the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany.
Will Poland see an increased Soviet military presence?

I bet Roy Moore ITTL would be an excellent candidate for being the CV version of Roland Friesler, using his "God-given" authority to send gays, Catholics, adulterers and abortionists to the gallows with bombastically unprofessional verdicts. I could think of no other person who personify the CV's blend of murderous evangelism and grotesque hypocrisy.

The horrifying thing is that by CV standards, Moore is pretty moderate.

I think two things that would definitely be prominent in the post-CV era will be a stronger emphasis on American history, and classes on Constitutional Rights.

ITTL Rumsfeld and the CVs were able to get away with all of their evil shit by manipulating the average American's lack of understanding of history and the functions of government to push their lunatic agendas.

History textbooks would emphasize the harsher side of American history (imperialism, racism, slavery, misogyny, and of course the Rumsfeld-CV period), as people will acknowledge Rumsfeld's painting of an idyllic past is what allowed him to slither into power. So schoolchildren will have it hammered into their brains that the past wasn't great, so they don't get mislead by "make America Great"-style populists.

So that the constitution (or whatever document the next American government has) isn't trampled again, both student and public official will be forced to remember the laws of the constitution. Schoolkids will be forced to remember their rights, and be militant about protecting them.

Something most curious is attitude towards gun control after CVs fall from power. Will gun ownership be seen as a necessary evil? After all, both CVs and their opponents have plenty of guns.

Anchises

Banned
I wonder what happened to Erich Honecker TTL.

My best guess by mid-eighties he got eased into retirement by the Soviets in order to pave the way for German reunification.
Maybe the Soviets might find a more dynamic figure to replace him, maybe even cultivate him and SED to be a legit political force once reunification happens.
I also wonder if Central Group of Forces got withdrawn from Czechoslovakia in addition to the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany.
Will Poland see an increased Soviet military presence?

Considering that todays Die Linke has considerable SED roots and still enjoys a respectable degree of electoral success this really shouldn't be to hard given the more positive attitude TTLs Europe has towards the Soviets.

If the SED changes their name, presents some fresh faces and is more accepting of a market economy they might have even more success than OTLs die Linke. Especially if they are able to change the top personal while still maintaining the image of good connections to the Kremlin.

America turning into the hellhole it is sheds a negative light on the "transatlantic" roots of the CDU/CSU. Sure the "new SED" would still have the baggage of authoritarian rule in a democratic society but with a more lenient attitude towards the Soviets that argument is not going to be as strong as OTL.

This is a bit off topic but I've read some of the older posts here discussing pop-culture of the Rumsfeldia world in regards to filmography and it got me thinking. What would Western children's animation be like in the post Rumsfeld/CV Eras? Especially animation in (whatever's left of) the US, the Pacific Free Republic, the Libertarian Communes, and other independent states (assuming they all remain so).

I don't know what would be left of the American animation industries after a nuclear civil war but I remember California/the PFR being largely unscathed in the "Rummyhorror" Map. Perhaps a few Pacific Coast animation studios are still intact and could see the PFR as a major producer of Western Animation.

Of course, their was still the issue that most of the networks were nothing more than propaganda tools for Rumsfeld (in fact I can't help but picture Viacom rooting for Rummy's crazed An-Cap policies, at least at first) and I don't know how that would affect the situation. Would we even see Nicktoons like Rugrats or Spongebob Squarepants?

In relation to American animation, I wonder how Canadian animation would fair in the new world. Considering how many American refugees ended up in Canada and other Commonwealth nations, I could easily see several prominent would-be American animators working for Canadian animation networks. I foresee a lot of Canadian cartoons taking on "darker and edgier" themes as well. And I betcha Jim Kricfalusi (The Ren and Stimpy Show) and the Trembley Brothers (SWAT Kats and Mega Babies) would have quite the field day in this alternate world of cartoon making.

On a similar note, I wonder what animation would be like in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe by this point to?

This is a bit off topic but I've read some of the older posts here discussing pop-culture of the Rumsfeldia world in regards to filmography and it got me thinking. What would Western children's animation be like in the post Rumsfeld/CV Eras? Especially animation in (whatever's left of) the US, the Pacific Free Republic, the Libertarian Communes, and other independent states (assuming they all remain so).

I don't know what would be left of the American animation industries after a nuclear civil war but I remember California/the PFR being largely unscathed in the "Rummyhorror" Map. Perhaps a few Pacific Coast animation studios are still intact and could see the PFR as a major producer of Western Animation.

Of course, their was still the issue that most of the networks were nothing more than propaganda tools for Rumsfeld (in fact I can't help but picture Viacom rooting for Rummy's crazed An-Cap policies, at least at first) and I don't know how that would affect the situation. Would we even see Nicktoons like Rugrats or Spongebob Squarepants?

In relation to American animation, I wonder how Canadian animation would fair in the new world. Considering how many American refugees ended up in Canada and other Commonwealth nations, I could easily see several prominent would-be American animators working for Canadian animation networks. I foresee a lot of Canadian cartoons taking on "darker and edgier" themes as well. And I betcha Jim Kricfalusi (The Ren and Stimpy Show) and the Trembley Brothers (SWAT Kats and Mega Babies) would have quite the field day in this alternate world of cartoon making.

On a similar note, I wonder what animation would be like in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe by this point to?

I bet a lot of animators are thriving up in Canada, Great Britain, and Japan. I have a head canon about Matt Groening living in the UK and producing an animated sitcom on the "modern British family".

American animation will probably be dead for at least a decade. Many artists have been exiled, imprisoned, or murdered. Millions of children have been killed, or have been orphaned by the monstrosity of Rumsfeldia-CV. Even areas not directly controlled by the CV are going to be affected by conflict, and the ecological effects of WMDs. As the 1990s will be spent rebuilding and uniting the shattered parts of America, and the various breakaway regions trying to consolidate their power, most Americans aren't going to care to draw cartoons, with most original content being made overseas.

But once America (well North America ITTL) begins its recovery, possibly around the early 2000s, I bet there is going to be a golden age of animation for several reasons.

1) As many of us have predicted, there is likely going to be huge (possibly permanent) backlash against all forms of conservatism thanks to the Rumsfeldians and CV. Their censorship of media, often done under the guise of "morality and protecting children", is going to be replaced by a political environment very conducive to freedom of speech. The Libertarian-run Bozemania will likely be INCREDIBLY supportive of artistic freedom.

The people who complain about how "cartoon violence is destroying our children," will be seen as people who want to bring back the CV, and such moral panics will be heavily ignored by those who remember the CV as the real threat to children.

2) The artists who make cartoons will often be people who have lived through the horrors of Rumsfeldia CV. Their willingness to draw violent images is not just because of lax censorship, but writing from their own horrific experiences.

3) The opposition to excessive corporate control means copyright enforcement will also be very lax, leading to a glut of creative energies.

Mostly likely, you won't see Nicktoons like shows, but cartoons that incorporate things that the Rumsfeldian-CV opposed, like sex, violence, and bad language.

Last edited:
Im a Practicing Roman Catholic and I REALLY do not want Social consevitsm to be completely discredited especilly the Pro life movment. I can see Social conservitism be centered on the Roman Catholic church, The church has not been impicated in the CV and their atrocites.

Im a Practicing Roman Catholic and I REALLY do not want Social consevitsm to be completely discredited especilly the Pro life movment. I can see Social conservitism be centered on the Roman Catholic church, The church has not been impicated in the CV and their atrocites.
The former WASPs though will insist otherwise for at least two decades.

Kind of inevitable given how social and fiscal conservatism will have been seen to have wrecked America. Look at how pacifist popular sentiment and law are in Germany and Japan OTL, as a direct result of the perception that militarism nearly destroyed their nations. It'll be the same for social conservatism and corporatism ITTL.

Not saying there won't still be social conservatives - just as hawkish politicians exist in RL Japan say - but they'll struggle to achieve anything.

Their will still be pro lifers. The Anti gay marrige movment is down the toilet, but saving babys from being murderd is something people can get behind.Also what if The Pro lifers are also social activists aganst poverty and Racism. that distances them from Rumsfeld

Their will still be pro lifers. The Anti gay marrige movment is down the toilet, but saving babys from being murderd is something people can get behind.Also what if The Pro lifers are also social activists aganst poverty and Racism. that distances them from Rumsfeld
Well, considering that ITTL the staunchly "pro-life" Rumsfeld and CV have hurt or killed millions more children then an abortionist could, anybody who screams "pro-life", will be compared to a fascist.

Conservatism will not go away, but it will not be a political force. The attitude will be "live and let live", because legislating morality ITTL has been the road to hell.

Well, considering that ITTL the staunchly "pro-life" Rumsfeld and CV have hurt or killed millions more children then an abortionist could, anybody who screams "pro-life", will be compared to a fascist.

Conservatism will not go away, but it will not be a political force. The attitude will be "live and let live", because legislating morality ITTL has been the road to hell.
The roman Catholic Church has not damaged itself in the least. We would never just roll over and allow that attitude to take hold, we would fight aganst it. I could see the struggle aganst live and let live secularism, being a defining thing in the clergy and Catholic activists.

The roman Catholic Church has not damaged itself in the least. We would never just roll over and allow that attitude to take hold, we would fight aganst it. I could see the struggle aganst live and let live secularism, being a defining thing in the clergy and Catholic activists.
Well, ITTL Pope and the Cuerdans seem to be taking a stand against poverty, so they could have the authority to do so.

However, many Americans will still be disillusioned by the utter disaster of religious governance. And Drew wrote that Vatican reactionaries are plotting to get rid of the Pope. If that happens, or if any other of the Vatican's skeletons falls out of the closest, then they'll lose even more ground in America.

However, many Americans will still be disillusioned by the utter disaster of religious governance. And Drew wrote that Vatican reactionaries are plotting to get rid of the Pope. If that happens, or if any other of the Vatican's skeletons falls out of the closest, then they'll lose even more ground in America.
There was mention of a new Pope in the late 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.