Royal marriages post-1815

Question on this matter. Were Royal Marriages based on religion or race (European...) after 1815? Would a Christian Chinese have a chance marrying into the Russian royal family?

Question on this matter. Were Royal Marriages based on religion or race (European...) after 1815? Would a Christian Chinese have a chance marrying into the Russian royal family?

Are you asking for the Taiping? Wait, no. Too early.

I feel like both were a factor. As long as you're European (maybe generally white, but there isn't any example of non-European white monarchies other than Brazil, which lasted two generations) and some kind of Christian, it should be fine. A white Christian monarch outside of Europe will likely marry the daughter of a minor European monarch, while a non-white Christian monarch might be able to marry a noble, their descendants could possibly marry into a royal family, likely only after a few generations though.

The Russians specifically, as a whole, were more interested in religion than race, as opposed to the rest of Europe, which cared a lot about both. It's more important not to be a Jew than it is to be white, however, for a Royal marriage, race would still definitely be a factor.

Russians would be willing to marry a Catholic or a Protestant, but IDK about say a Nestorian or a Mormon or some other less mainstream type of Christianity. However, if one of these types of Christianity was the main religion of a whole country, it might be seen as acceptable.

For African matches, look at Ethiopia, they're an African, Orthodox Christian kingdom, but they weren't allowed to intermarry with European royals. So, hard no on that one.

So overall, both are important. Part Asian or Central Asian Christians (who have been Christian for a long time) might have a chance in Russia, but even that is unlikely. Maybe a Christian middle eastern royal. A pure east Asian or a black person would likely not be considered good enough to marry a European monarch. No non-white or non-Christian would be able to marry any European monarch outside of Russia. No chance for an African, Native American, or South Asian monarch without an early POD.

Maybe in the context of your tml? Would an european royal family, in the second half of the 19th century, accept the marriage of one of their daughters to an ottoman prince? As long as it doesn't compromise the succession I mean.

I feel like both were a factor. As long as you're European (maybe generally white, but there isn't any example of non-European white monarchies other than Brazil, which lasted two generations) and some kind of Christian, it should be fine. A white Christian monarch outside of Europe will likely marry the daughter of a minor European monarch, while a non-white Christian monarch might be able to marry a noble, their descendants could possibly marry into a royal family, likely only after a few generations though.

...Sarawak, arguably?

Maybe in the context of your tml? Would an european royal family, in the second half of the 19th century, accept the marriage of one of their daughters to an ottoman prince? As long as it doesn't compromise the succession I mean.

Not really for my TL. I thought about this because of my TL.

I don't think they would tolerate a marriage with a Muslim in any ways, be it conversion to Islam or remaining Christian. I heard something interesting some weeks ago. Apparently, Queen Victoria was impressed of the Prince Murad, during his, his brother and his uncle Abdulaziz I visit to the United Kingdom that she considered to marry a granddaughter to Murad. Abdulaziz was furious about it, considering it as a threat to his rule. So it never happened as Abdulaziz had wished. But I have not found a source on this and considering the view of the Europeans towards the Ottomans, even though they were European (no discussion on this) were negative as they weren't part of Christian Europe. Which makes me sceptical on the supposed royal marriage.

And so, I was thinking about if it has a slight possibility.

Wasn't there some issue (and I don't think religion played a role) when there was talk of one of the king of Italy's daughters marrying the Shah of Persia in the 20e century?

Wasn't there some issue (and I don't think religion played a role) when there was talk of one of the king of Italy's daughters marrying the Shah of Persia in the 20e century?

Not heard of it. But in the 20th century this is more easier to do than before the... 1930s or so? Especially with the Pahlavi Dynasty being really open to the West.

...Sarawak, arguably?

Maybe...

Doesn't really count though.

It was a small, weak, protectorate of a British-Influenced kingdom. It was viewed as one eccentric adventurer's funny little state at best, and just another British colony at the worst.

Last edited:
I don't think they would tolerate a marriage with a Muslim in any ways, be it conversion to Islam or remaining Christian. I heard something interesting some weeks ago. Apparently, Queen Victoria was impressed of the Prince Murad, during his, his brother and his uncle Abdulaziz I visit to the United Kingdom that she considered to marry a granddaughter to Murad. Abdulaziz was furious about it, considering it as a threat to his rule. So it never happened as Abdulaziz had wished. But I have not found a source on this and considering the view of the Europeans towards the Ottomans, even though they were European (no discussion on this) were negative as they weren't part of Christian Europe. Which makes me sceptical on the supposed royal marriage.

And class is also a factor - maybe an even bigger one.

I've often wondered whether the Royals would have been half so bothered by Princess Di's association with Al-Fayed, had he been the son of an oil Sheik rather than just a sordid tradesman.

It is not hard to imagine a minor European royal (or even the younger son of a reigning house) marrying Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii in the late 1890s. She was well off, Christian, cultured (educated in England and goddaughter of Victoria), beautiful (and half-white) and heir to a throne that could (depending on the whim of a US govt) be returned to her dynasty.