What do you think of the timeline so far

• Good

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Bad

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
I agree that the power and wealth of the Senatorial Class had to be curbed somehow. Besides, the average late Roman Wester Senator was a greedy selfish idiot a la Petronius Maximus, so they deserved worse than that. I may also understand that now Majorian feels strong enough to make his moves openly and not wait longer. But still, I personally do not think that he would have gone so headstrong in this direction. As much as he despised his fellow senators, he was one of them, and thence knew and understood them very well. IMHO he would have known better, and implement his reforms step by step. Probably in subtler ways, maybe giving some compensations of sorts. As for Ricimer, I believe ho would feel cornered had Majorian tried to kill or arrest him, while apparently the Emperor is still loyal to his old friend. But anyways, I still find the whole idea of the "Council of the 100" unconvincing, sorry. And the convenience of the cold blizzard does not make up for the fact that you simply can't organize a non-even-so secret meeting with 100 invited would-be-conspirators in the relatively small world of the Roman Aristocracy and no word of it comes to Rome BEFORE the whole thing happens.

Dont apologize for not being convinced that just means i didnt do my job as a writer convincing you. As i said Majorian will most definitely get the news of the treachery, though it may take a few weeks, and events will probably take fast pace at this point. Now i could have made Majorian implement these reforms probably more subtler over years, but then again Majorian seemed to have been a headstrong emperor, who was probably overtrusting in OT as he disbanded his army of Foederatii and Mercenaries after his defeat, and trusted Ricimer, who instead betrayed and killed him. Now Ricimer was a greedy ambitious man, who you could say Oadoacer is a perfect mirror of. Ricimer if had been able probably would have taken the title of King of Italy had he been able to. As u say he is an able schemer, but his influence has eroded significantly, and he already feels threatened, and would have looked forward, and seen that Majorian would either replace him or have him done away soon enough. So his only option to save himself, really is civil war, if he has Majorian murdered chances are he will be killed by Majorians supporters anyways.

Also a side note at the time of Honorius i believe, the western Roman senate like the eastern senate consisted of 2000 members

I must thank you all for your support and criticism as the criticism makes me think more critically about what i right, and my plans behind it. I hope the support continues.

Chapter 7

463AD

The year started out badly for Majorian. On the 2nd of January news came from Mediolanum, from a suprising source. Ecdicius Avitus. The son of the deceased emperor he had not been one of the 100, but he had been on the fence on the issue. He did not support Ricimer whos plan would essentially end the empire, though he didnt know about the tribal conspiracy, nor did he support Majorian. What he did support was the Empire.

The news from Ecdicius of Ricimers betrayal struck hard for Majorian who had always thought of Ricimer as a loyal freind. The truth had come out, Ricimer was a greedy man of barbarian origin, a true threat to the empire, from the inside. Majorian just didnt know how far this betrayal went.

Majorian immediately sent a messenger to Ricimer. This messenger took with him a guard of 10 men. Their mission was to remove Ricimer from power, by any means necessary. They had with them an official letter from Majorian declaring that Ricimer was to give up his command and join the Emperor at Rome for his next command to service the empire. If Ricimer didnt comply, they were to kill him or capture him. Ecdicius was to take over the command of the army.

It was almost 2 weeks later the men arrived at Mediolanum. The messengers werent allowed to even see Ricimer, who had the message taken to him via his own men. Ricimer began taking defensive actions immediately. The messenger and his guards were taken captive and tortured. From them Ricimer, found out Majorians plan if he didnt comply. They had been discovered.

Ecdidcius had escaped capture and immediately escaped to Majorian. He arrived on the first of febuary. He arrived as Majorian was celebrating that his wife was pregnant once again, all celebrations were halted in the preperation for war.

Gilderic who was the commander of one of Majorians legions brought even worse news from abroad, a messenger had arrived. From both the Suevi and Visigoths. Their message detailed the messages from Ricimer and his greater plan. Both kings Majorian didnt doubt would have joined Ricimer, if their armies werent weakened by fighting Majorian a few years before, plus many of their surviving men were foederatii in Majorians army. They did not pledge their remaining men to Majorians cause either, together the Suevi and Visigoths could bring about 20,000 true warriors to whoevers cause they supported.

Ricimer had the lead on Majorian by about 2 weeks at this point. Majorian had 4 legions, his Legio Augusta, Legio IV Aduitrix (Auxiliary), Legio V Italica, and Legio VI Gemina. Supported by 3,000 cavalry, even though it was still late winter the storms and cold weather had abated, and though it still rained every second day, the army set off.

At the same time Majorian sent for reinforcements from Africa and Hispania, he hoped to gather an additional 6,000 men from the two provinces. If not for against Ricimer, against the coming tribes. He also sent messages to Aegidius and Marcellinus of the coming danger.

It was March 3rd when the two armies made contact just north of Florentia. It was the battle that should have decided the course of the War.

Ricimer had 22,000 men 2000 Alemanni warriors having crossed the alps to support his cause, Majorian had 23,000. The battle took place Northwest of Florentia as Ricimer had come from the north end of the valley.

The battle started around Noon, and was a continuous stalemate for 2 hours of blood shed. Both men knew it was victory or death. The climatic part of the battle happened when Ricimer used his Alemannic reserves. The Alemannic leader lead his men in a destructive charge, that nearly smashed the right flank of Majorians army. As the legion on that flank started to fall back and route, Magister Militum Julius Nepos commited his reserves to the battle as well crashing over 3,000 of his men into fray halting the Alemanni momentum. Nepos would gain distinction as he personally slew the Alemanni leader, breaking the Alemanni nerve as they were being pushed back.

As the Alemanni were routed Ricimer staring defeat in the face called a fighting retreat. Ricimers force conducted themselves well in a orderly retreat. Fighting off Majorians army as they attacked time and time again. Though this began proving costly for Majorians men. At 4pm the halt was called and Majorians men turned back celebrating their victory. The halt had been called as Majorians army spresd out and the distance grew from camp.

Overall it had been a successful battle for Majorian. He had lost roughly 3,000 men Ricimer 6,000. Neither man had used the cavalry, as they were critical to the army, Majorian didnt want his men trapped and killed, and Ricimers cavalry was outnumbered. Though by pulling back Majorian let Ricimer escape. When Nepos lead the army north the next day they found Ricimers camp abandoned, the scouts reported that Ricimers army marched to the northern passes of the Valley. Majorians army would be in hot pursuit.

In Dalmatia Marcellinus gathered his army at Salona his scouts had reported the Ostrogoths had gathered a sizable army, even though a third of his army were Ostrogoths and were loyal. He would not risk battle against overwhelming force, and would occupy the port until word of Reinforcements.

In Gaul Aegidius was preparing his army. His army was roughly 18,000 men a mix of Visigoths, Franks, Burgundians, and Romans. His spies in Fank and Alemanni territory had told him of the gathering of Armies, the Alemanni more than the Franks. The only Unknown were the Burgundians. The Visigoth and Suevi Kings had sent messages to Nepotianus, Aegidius, and Majorian. They had been defeated and many if their men served the romans. The Burgundians, though they had men serving the Romans had not been defeated like the other tribes, and had a sizable force of man power available. To make the Burgundians even more untrustworthy was the fact thier old king Gundioc, was married to Ricimers sister.

The kings of the Visigoths, Suevi, and Burgundians had the future of the Empire in their hands.

So Majorian and Ricimer have fought the wars first battle one that did not result in a decisive victory of the war for either one. And on the frontiers, Aegidius and Marcellinus prepare for invasions from the Ostrogths, Alemanni and Franks. The rugi and Burgundians are unknown as of yet, and the Visigoths and Suevi have yet to delcare for either side, but have sent Ricimers plans to Majorian and his generals.

Now when i say mimicing the principate army it is nothing more than organizationally as i think the smaller legions of the late army, though effective at being in garrison across vast distances were not as good organizationally. They were spread out often under multiple leaders, what the army of majorian needs is a more united army under a single strong loyal leader, the small legions was really formed by Diocletian to protect the empire from rebellion being so spread out under multiple leaders.
I think that is a misconception. Above the 1,000 man legions were still commanders who lead armies of various provinces(aka Magister militums),so they weren’t really spread out amongst different leaders.The 1,000 man legions were created because they were much more flexible to organize and move around.Quite frequently,when the empire was trying to respond to crisis to another front,they had to break legions to form 1,000 man Vexilliones to reinforce armies in different parts of the empire,and due to the fact that these reinforcements could often not be sent back to their parent legions,this created a mess organizationally.Another thing to note is that most actions fought by late army were small unit actions in counter to raids.

What was really done to stop rebellions was the division of the army into comitatenses and limitanei.I think that was still rather ineffective as the army still rebelled,the limitanei became poorly paid(if any) militiamen while the comitatense became over-spoiled brats who were less experienced in action(because they just lived in cities) and often late to action.

Last edited:
I think that is a misconception. Above the 1,000 man legions were still commanders who lead armies of various provinces(aka Magister militums),so they weren’t really spread out amongst different leaders.The 1,000 man legions were created because they were much more flexible to organize and move around.Quite frequently,when the empire was trying to respond to crisis to another front,they had to break legions to form 1,000 man Vexilliones to reinforce armies in different parts of the empire,and due to the fact that these reinforcements could often not be sent back to their parent legions,this created a mess organizationally.Another thing to note is that most actions fought by late army were small unit actions in counter to raids.

What was really done to stop rebellions was the division of the army into comitatenses and limitanei.I think that was still rather ineffective as the army still rebelled,the limitanei became poorly paid(if any) militiamen while the comitatense became over-spoiled brats who were less experienced who were often late to action.

So thinking about it. I have the legions in Africa at a 3000 man basis, and Majorians legions at 5000, i dont think i had anyone else change legion size though i will look again. I am gonna contimplate the legions a bit more, but i do intend on Majorian scrapping the Limitani and Comitatenses as like u said it was an ineffective strategy. It worked out early on as the Limitani were strong enough to hold of a few thousand men, at the point of Majorian they are almost non existent. The Comitatenses used to be the cream of the crop in ways, but became just like the Praetorians really. Though it is effective to have the reserves it seemed the system had failed in its effectiveness by 420AD as the army was almost all Feoderatti and Mercanaries with only a few legions of Citizens and conscripts.

So thinking about it. I have the legions in Africa at a 3000 man basis, and Majorians legions at 5000, i dont think i had anyone else change legion size though i will look again. I am gonna contimplate the legions a bit more, but i do intend on Majorian scrapping the Limitani and Comitatenses as like u said it was an ineffective strategy. It worked out early on as the Limitani were strong enough to hold of a few thousand men, at the point of Majorian they are almost non existent. The Comitatenses used to be the cream of the crop in ways, but became just like the Praetorians really. Though it is effective to have the reserves it seemed the system had failed in its effectiveness by 420AD as the army was almost all Feoderatti and Mercanaries with only a few legions of Citizens and conscripts.
Majorians’ 3,000-5,000 men legions are basically too bulky to move around.He doesn’t even command armies larger than 30k on a regular basis.The problem with the comitatenses is that they lived a cosy life in cities and left a lot of the fighting to militiamen/limitanei.They also billeted in civilian homes and were notorious in their treatment of their hosts.

So what im thinking, is ive messed up this timeline, basically im thinking i should redo, from the very end of the African campaign on, what are your thoughts on this and how should i go about this.as i believe ive messed up the angle entering into the civil war.

It doesn't seem that "messed up" but I get where you may be coming from there is a tendency for people writing about the late empire to mischaracterise certain aspects in favour of the earlier empire especially in the vein of the military but you've done very little of that overall and in places you've pished for such you have created plausible enough reasons to do so. That said a timeline has to be fun for its writer first and foremost so if you're unhappy with it then yeah redo it but if not then don't.

So what im thinking, is ive messed up this timeline, basically im thinking i should redo, from the very end of the African campaign on, what are your thoughts on this and how should i go about this.as i believe ive messed up the angle entering into the civil war.
As the author, you are in charge, so I believe that you should do what you feel. Besides, for all my criticism, I like your style and your timeline, that's why I commented on it. I have already expressed my thoughts on the civil war, but it is just my opinion, and I am literally nobody to tell you how you should go. I think it is also fair to say that my views on Majorian and how would he have acted are somehow biased by the reading of the novel "Imperator" by Giulio Castelli (in Italian, not sure if there is some English translation should anybody be interested) when I was a twenty-something. A good read, well-researched, but always a novel.

9 Chapter 5 start over
Chapter 5

461AD

Majorian planned in staying in Africa through till spring of the next year. With Aurelianus he brought in a structure for the new African army. Also during this time, Roman Senator Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, son of Quintus Fabius Memmius Symmachus, grandson of Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, arrived. Symmachus was the Prefect of Africa, and would govern the province, dealing with all the civil matters. Symmachus and Majorian set up the province wide tax, this tax wasnt well received, but was enforced by the army. By the time spring came the province was ran smoothly with taxes coming without problems. Symmachus and Majorian ensured the corrupt were not in power, and the full number of taxes were always recieved.

As the province and army organization took place, Majorian went west past were he landed on Africa by Icosium. To Caesarea, from here he sent a rider west, who would return approximately 2 weeks later followed by an army. This was King Masina, an older man who had taken control of all territory, west of Icosium. The berber Kingdom had been a constant thorne in the Vandal side, but only after the Vandal defeat at Icosium, had they secured their Kingdom properly.

With Masina was his son Masuna, the two men lead an army roughly 3000 strong as protection. It was at Caesarea that talks would happen. It was decided the relationship the two kingdoms would have, and that wss a peaceful one. Trade was negotiated as well as territory. It was negotiated that Berber merchants could trade anywhere in the empire, and that berber men could seek to become roman soldiers if they so wished, they would be allied kingdoms. Territorial, Caesarea would become the border, and everything west was Berber territory, the only area in the west that would remain roman were the Cities, Tingus and Septum. With talks done the two rulers celebrated the peace before both left the city.

462 AD

When Majorian, his court and his Army stepped onto the ships, he left a well run province run by two men who were extremely loyal to him, with an army of around 8000 to protect the province.

The army of Africa, was formed into 2 legions. As Majorian saw the use of Legions that were larger than the legions of 1000 men. He therefore decided that Africa would have 2 legions. These 2 new legions were only 3000 strong as to keep the strength of a larger Legion, but to also keep the administration easy, while also giving its commander a strong force to fight with. The Legio II Africana was composed of half the Vandals left in Africa and 2000 men of varying ethnicity, though all were roman. Legio III Auduitrix was named so because it was formed of a mixture of men, 1000 were vandal, some were roman, and others were auctually of the Foederatii who wished to stay in Africa, to complement these 2 legions 2000 cavalry were assigned from to the army. The cavalry was a mixture of locals, and Foederatii cavalry.

From Carthage the imperial fleet landed in Sicily were Majorian spent a month traveling through the province organizing it as he had Africa. Here he left a man by the name of, Marcus Nichomachius Flavianus as prefect. The army of Sicily was mainly to keep pirates and raiders at bay, so consisted of mainly Milita. Flavianus, was the overall commander of these men, and Majorian tasked him with forming them into a strong fighting unit, as a 3000 strong Legio IV Sicilia, though they would be spread across the province, they would be under the command of Centurions who would report to Flavianus. Though this ment the army was in Vexilations, it meant one unit under one administration and leader, this suited Majorian and Flavianus.

Majorians growing policy of Legions 3000 strong was seen as a smart strategy. He personally told Flavianus he planned on scrapping the Limitani and Comitatenses formations, as it was largely ineffective and its few strengths did not warrant to keep it.

On May 6th the Imperial army and court landed in Rhegium. Here they were met by two men. Consul of 461 Flavius Serverinus, and Praetorian Prefect of Italia, Caecina Decius Bassilius. They brought serious news from the north.

The news they brought was of serious implications. Of the 2000 members of the Senate, there were at least 100 of them were against Majorian even after his victory. Many thought his earlier reforms were threatening to their families and their wealth. One of these was that woman who were widowed could not take religous vows, and the minimum age for a woman to join the clergy was 40. As well there was serious punishments for corruption, though Majorian had treated a number of senators well giving them jobs in the imperial administration.

Majorian after all wanted to make the Senate retake its former glory. Though as Severinus and Basillius accused the Senators, and even Ricimer, he told them of his promise to never imprison Senators for accusations.

Majorians army heard this news, and was immediately in an uproar. It was at this point Majorian reformed his own army. His Legio Augusta was 5000 men strong, but as the Foederatii demanded they be allowed to take the legionary oath he changed this. His army would be made up of 4000 strong Legions, the Legio Augusta was commanded by Gilderic the Vandal. He then formed the Legions, V Aduitrix, VI Gemina, VII Foederatus, and VIII Augusta. The reason for legions of 4000 was as his personal Army, these would be centralized on him, and if they needed to seperate off from the army, a 4000 man strong unit was a viable force to send against the enemy.

With his 23,000 men formed into 5 legions with 3000 cavalry as support, he continued his move through Italia. It was on May 20th they reached Capua. To their suprise Ricimer and 2000 of his men all Cavalry were encamped their.

Ricimer had brought himself south, knowing of the accusations which were true he planned on showing Majorian he was still loyal, though he had other plans as well. As they supped that evening in the governors palace, with news Majorians wife Eudocia, was pregnant, one of Ricimers men, sneaked into the kitchen in disguise of a slave. He added poison to the wine of the mug ment to go to the Emperor, as a slave came back telling him to take the mug out, he walked to Majorian, and tried handing him the mug, but the emperor waved it off, as he grabbed his still half full mug from the ground with a laugh. The governor of Capua, a man named Flavius Florius asked for the wine. The soldier looked at Ricimer, suddenly sweating as he knew the plan would fail if the mug was given to someone else. Ricimer simply nodded knowing his man though not knowing this exact mug was the poisoned one.The governor grabbed the mug and immediately took a huge gulp, poison was effective. As the soldier rushed away, he could hear the sounds of the Governors life being taken from him, and began to run.

Luckily for the slave he was able to outrun his pursuers, escaping the govenors palace he ran out of the city. Two days later he was caught by Ricimer, who didnt accept failure and killed the man before taking the body to Majorian.

For Majorian the sudden assination attempt brought the reality of the Senates betrayal to him. He still thought Ricimer loyal, and though he could not prove who hired the man he knew the influential Gennadius Avienus was said to be a conspirator. Gennadius Avienus, was descended from the great republican general Marcus Valerius Messalla Corvus, and very influential, to have such a notable member of such a notable gens, which he was apart of, be accused of treason really pulled at Majorian, but did not change his path. Majorian intended on saving Rome and would do whatever possible to do that.

For Ricimer he had hoped on finishing Majorian that night, but with the failure his plans had been pushed back. He reached Mediolanum on June 10th. His men had been riding hard, and no sooner had Ricimer reached Mediolanum had Avienus demanded a meeting with him.

The meeting with Avienus didnt go well, and Ricimer was tempted to murder the man. Ricimers only influence that remained was the fact he had an army. Majorian had been extremely effective at his job as Emperor, and sicne Ricimer had stayed in Italia doing nothing, he was no more than a figure head for the rebel senators. The next few months would require Ricimer to become a master plotter.

As the author, you are in charge, so I believe that you should do what you feel. Besides, for all my criticism, I like your style and your timeline, that's why I commented on it. I have already expressed my thoughts on the civil war, but it is just my opinion, and I am literally nobody to tell you how you should go. I think it is also fair to say that my views on Majorian and how would he have acted are somehow biased by the reading of the novel "Imperator" by Giulio Castelli (in Italian, not sure if there is some English translation should anybody be interested) when I was a twenty-something. A good read, well-researched, but always a novel.

Thanks appreciate it all. And as i looked back at it i had to agree with you. I didnt really live Ricimer up to what he is. His influence has degraded lots, and i rushed it, im gonna try and make this second go work better and be more planned out and less rushed.

Chapter 5

461AD

Majorian planned in staying in Africa through till spring of the next year. With Aurelianus he brought in a structure for the new African army. Also during this time, Roman Senator Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, son of Quintus Fabius Memmius Symmachus, grandson of Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, arrived. Symmachus was the Prefect of Africa, and would govern the province, dealing with all the civil matters. Symmachus and Majorian set up the province wide tax, this tax wasnt well received, but was enforced by the army. By the time spring came the province was ran smoothly with taxes coming without problems. Symmachus and Majorian ensured the corrupt were not in power, and the full number of taxes were always recieved.

As the province and army organization took place, Majorian went west past were he landed on Africa by Icosium. To Caesarea, from here he sent a rider west, who would return approximately 2 weeks later followed by an army. This was King Masina, an older man who had taken control of all territory, west of Icosium. The berber Kingdom had been a constant thorne in the Vandal side, but only after the Vandal defeat at Icosium, had they secured their Kingdom properly.

With Masina was his son Masuna, the two men lead an army roughly 3000 strong as protection. It was at Caesarea that talks would happen. It was decided the relationship the two kingdoms would have, and that wss a peaceful one. Trade was negotiated as well as territory. It was negotiated that Berber merchants could trade anywhere in the empire, and that berber men could seek to become roman soldiers if they so wished, they would be allied kingdoms. Territorial, Caesarea would become the border, and everything west was Berber territory, the only area in the west that would remain roman were the Cities, Tingus and Septum. With talks done the two rulers celebrated the peace before both left the city.

462 AD

When Majorian, his court and his Army stepped onto the ships, he left a well run province run by two men who were extremely loyal to him, with an army of around 8000 to protect the province.

The army of Africa, was formed into 2 legions. As Majorian saw the use of Legions that were larger than the legions of 1000 men. He therefore decided that Africa would have 2 legions. These 2 new legions were only 3000 strong as to keep the strength of a larger Legion, but to also keep the administration easy, while also giving its commander a strong force to fight with. The Legio II Africana was composed of half the Vandals left in Africa and 2000 men of varying ethnicity, though all were roman. Legio III Auduitrix was named so because it was formed of a mixture of men, 1000 were vandal, some were roman, and others were auctually of the Foederatii who wished to stay in Africa, to complement these 2 legions 2000 cavalry were assigned from to the army. The cavalry was a mixture of locals, and Foederatii cavalry.

From Carthage the imperial fleet landed in Sicily were Majorian spent a month traveling through the province organizing it as he had Africa. Here he left a man by the name of, Marcus Nichomachius Flavianus as prefect. The army of Sicily was mainly to keep pirates and raiders at bay, so consisted of mainly Milita. Flavianus, was the overall commander of these men, and Majorian tasked him with forming them into a strong fighting unit, as a 3000 strong Legio IV Sicilia, though they would be spread across the province, they would be under the command of Centurions who would report to Flavianus. Though this ment the army was in Vexilations, it meant one unit under one administration and leader, this suited Majorian and Flavianus.

Majorians growing policy of Legions 3000 strong was seen as a smart strategy. He personally told Flavianus he planned on scrapping the Limitani and Comitatenses formations, as it was largely ineffective and its few strengths did not warrant to keep it.

On May 6th the Imperial army and court landed in Rhegium. Here they were met by two men. Consul of 461 Flavius Serverinus, and Praetorian Prefect of Italia, Caecina Decius Bassilius. They brought serious news from the north.

The news they brought was of serious implications. Of the 2000 members of the Senate, there were at least 100 of them were against Majorian even after his victory. Many thought his earlier reforms were threatening to their families and their wealth. One of these was that woman who were widowed could not take religous vows, and the minimum age for a woman to join the clergy was 40. As well there was serious punishments for corruption, though Majorian had treated a number of senators well giving them jobs in the imperial administration.

Majorian after all wanted to make the Senate retake its former glory. Though as Severinus and Basillius accused the Senators, and even Ricimer, he told them of his promise to never imprison Senators for accusations.

Majorians army heard this news, and was immediately in an uproar. It was at this point Majorian reformed his own army. His Legio Augusta was 5000 men strong, but as the Foederatii demanded they be allowed to take the legionary oath he changed this. His army would be made up of 4000 strong Legions, the Legio Augusta was commanded by Gilderic the Vandal. He then formed the Legions, V Aduitrix, VI Gemina, VII Foederatus, and VIII Augusta. The reason for legions of 4000 was as his personal Army, these would be centralized on him, and if they needed to seperate off from the army, a 4000 man strong unit was a viable force to send against the enemy.

With his 23,000 men formed into 5 legions with 3000 cavalry as support, he continued his move through Italia. It was on May 20th they reached Capua. To their suprise Ricimer and 2000 of his men all Cavalry were encamped their.

Ricimer had brought himself south, knowing of the accusations which were true he planned on showing Majorian he was still loyal, though he had other plans as well. As they supped that evening in the governors palace, with news Majorians wife Eudocia, was pregnant, one of Ricimers men, sneaked into the kitchen in disguise of a slave. He added poison to the wine of the mug ment to go to the Emperor, as a slave came back telling him to take the mug out, he walked to Majorian, and tried handing him the mug, but the emperor waved it off, as he grabbed his still half full mug from the ground with a laugh. The governor of Capua, a man named Flavius Florius asked for the wine. The soldier looked at Ricimer, suddenly sweating as he knew the plan would fail if the mug was given to someone else. Ricimer simply nodded knowing his man though not knowing this exact mug was the poisoned one.The governor grabbed the mug and immediately took a huge gulp, poison was effective. As the soldier rushed away, he could hear the sounds of the Governors life being taken from him, and began to run.

Luckily for the slave he was able to outrun his pursuers, escaping the govenors palace he ran out of the city. Two days later he was caught by Ricimer, who didnt accept failure and killed the man before taking the body to Majorian.

For Majorian the sudden assination attempt brought the reality of the Senates betrayal to him. He still thought Ricimer loyal, and though he could not prove who hired the man he knew the influential Gennadius Avienus was said to be a conspirator. Gennadius Avienus, was descended from the great republican general Marcus Valerius Messalla Corvus, and very influential, to have such a notable member of such a notable gens, which he was apart of, be accused of treason really pulled at Majorian, but did not change his path. Majorian intended on saving Rome and would do whatever possible to do that.

For Ricimer he had hoped on finishing Majorian that night, but with the failure his plans had been pushed back. He reached Mediolanum on June 10th. His men had been riding hard, and no sooner had Ricimer reached Mediolanum had Avienus demanded a meeting with him.

The meeting with Avienus didnt go well, and Ricimer was tempted to murder the man. Ricimers only influence that remained was the fact he had an army. Majorian had been extremely effective at his job as Emperor, and sicne Ricimer had stayed in Italia doing nothing, he was no more than a figure head for the rebel senators. The next few months would require Ricimer to become a master plotter.

Very interesting restart. Curious to see where this goes!

10 chapter 6: An heir is born
Chapter 6

462 AD June 12th
While Ricimer had retreated back north and began plotting, Majorian warily made his way to Rome. A mile from the city, he formed his army into a triumphal marching possession, which was greeted by the cities people.

Majorian the young Emperor of only 42 years, looked upon the city with sadness. The city which had once held over a million people, now held about 400,000 people. Rome since the beginning of the 5th century had been sacked twice, which had ruined much of the city, and slaughtered a number of its inhabitants. Since he had destroyed the Vandals retribution could theoretically be called done, but now it was time to rebuild. It was his first time laying his eyes on the city since becoming Emperor, and he vowed to bring it back to its former glory.

His triumphal march went threw the city and was cheered on by the people, it was the first true triumph in over half a century the last being in 404AD. After his triumph which he was followed by a week of games and feasting, he declared that the City of Rome would once more become the Imperial Capital.

On June 20th the day after the last celebrations, Majorian called up the Senate to the Curia Julia, the traditional Senate house. That day Majorian presided over the Senate, and began the reforms he decided were best for the Empire. During his campaigns the Praetorian Prefect of Italia Bassilius had put threw his reforms of widows not joining the clergy until 40, as well as his law considering dowerys.

His new reforms were based on the military. The armies of the Western Roman Empire had crumbled and were shadows of their former selves. Majorians army of 23,000 was mostly formed up of Mercenaries and Foederatii, only his Legio Augusta was full of Roman citizens, and it numbered around 4,000, the scholae the Imperial guard of horseman, numbered around 2000 after the Africa Campaign and itself was only half roman.

The other Armies were in not much better shape. The army of Africa was 8000 strong and newly formed and well equipped but consisted of mamy barbarians, the army of Marcellinus in Dalmatia was the only other well maintained army due to Marcellinus leadership. Marcellinus army was 12000 strong, and was considered one of the best armies in the Empire due to Marellinus influence. They were extremely well equipped and trained. Around 6,000 of the army were roman citizens, the rest were a mixture of Hunnic horsemen and Ostrogoths. The Gallic army lead by Aegidius, numbered around 12,000 men many of these were non romans, it was an army much like Majorians, its men were mixture of Visigoths, Burgundians, and Franks, it had the few Vandals sent to it, and only 2000 Romans. Hispanias army lead by Nepotianus was the smallest besides Sicilies 3000 men, with only 6000 men. These men were a mixture of Hispanics, and Visigoths, left to keep the Suevii in check. The last army was Ricimers, which was around 16,000 men. They were almost completely of Barbarian origin.

The new reforms changed the format of the army. The army would lose the Comitatenses and Limitani formations, and would form Legions. These legions were to be 3000 strong formed into 6 cohorts 500 strong. The ranks would refert to the old titles, of Centurions, Pilus Prior, and Primus Pilus who was the most Senior Centurion, and second in command of the Legion, which would be lead by a Legate. Though the Magister Militums would maintain thier theatre commands and overall command of their legions. Legionnaires would declare an oath of allegiance to the emperor and empire, and would serve for 15 year terms. They would be paid 400 Siliqua a year equal to about 16.5 Solidi, the fact that the pay to soldiers went to around the same amount as Augustan times, showed how the empire had degraded and fallen since its height . Upon retirement they would be given a choice of a payment of 5000 Siliqua, which would change by rank, or they could choose between a land settlement or a mixed package of smaller quantity. The non romans would be given Citizenship at the end of their service as well.

The second part of the Reforms was based upon recruitment. Majorian intended for the army to take back its place as a honourable proffesion, and wished for the army to become full of Roman citizens once again.

To this end the new recruitment system would require each threatre, Gaul, Africa, Hispania, Dalmatia, and Italia, to send their needs to a theatre centralized recruitment officer, who would be a retired officer, this man would work in unison with the Praetorian Prefects to oversee which areas in thier theatre would send in Volunteers or conscripts. The recruitment officers would also work as quartermasters and would organize the supplies and the supply lines to the troops. To make sure the system ran right, bribes were made illegal and the punishments were severe with exile, and being reduced to a beggar as possible punishment.

As the weeks passed by Majorian also reorganized the grain dole as grain began arriving from Africa. This along with the great amount of rebuilding in the Capital brought much industry, trade and people back to the city. Majorian also did something unprecedented, he had the Altar of Victory brought back, this angered many christians, but the Pagans were satisfied by this move. His reforms were put in place, the new system of quartermaster recruiting soldiers seemed to be bearing fruit, though their was lots of resistance. On August 14th 462 came good news from Rome. Majorians and Eudocias marriage was blessed with a son, this boy was of both the Valentinian and Theodosian Dynasty, and was named Flavius Julius Valerius Theodosius III, as Valentinianus was not a well liked name as of recent events.

News of the boys birth was celebrated across the empire, Theodosius III would most likely be the next Emperor and being descended from great men such as Valentinianus I and Theodosius I and Majorian, brought hope that he would continue such lines of success.

Last edited:
Chapter 6

462 AD June 12th
... They would be paid 300 Siliqua a year equal to 12.5 Solidi, more than a soldier would make in Augustan times. ...
No, it would in fact be about 23% less. In Augustian times a simple legionary would earn 225 denarii or 9 aurei, then struck at a rate of 40 to a Roman pound, i.e. 9/40 or 22.5% of a Roman pound of gold a year. The solidus was struck at a rate of 72 to a Roman pound, so a 5th century legionary earning 12.5 solidi would earn merely the equivalent of 25/144 or 17.36% of a Roman pound of gold a year.

No, it would in fact be about 23% less. In Augustian times a simple legionary would earn 225 denarii or 9 aurei, then struck at a rate of 40 to a Roman pound, i.e. 9/40 or 22.5% of a Roman pound of gold a year. The solidus was struck at a rate of 72 to a Roman pound, so a 5th century legionary earning 12.5 solidi would earn merely the equivalent of 25/144 or 17.36% of a Roman pound of gold a year.

Thanks for the info, tbh i totally forgot to account for the devaluation of the coins and was just counting the difference between them. Ill see what i can do to fix what i wrote

11 Reveiw of the world abroad
As Flavius Julius Valerius Majorianus begins the reformation of his empire, the world outside Rome coninously changes.

The Visigoths and Suevi who have been brought back under the Empires heel the visigoths are lead by Theodoric II, while the Suevi are embroiled in a never ending civil war, with Rechimund and Frumar being the current kings.

The kingdom of the Burgundians lead by King Gundioc, who tried to take advantage of the turmoil in Rome after Avitus and was defeated by Majorian at lugdunum and like the Visigoths and Suevi are Foederatii.

The Franks are lead by thier king Childeric, who is the rival of Aegidius in Gaul, with tensions turning up.

The Alemanni are lead by Gibuld who has only just come to power, and who might soon be looking for a way to up his prestige and keep his kingdom happy, the Alemanni have been a near constant state of war with Rome.

In modern Austria, the kingdom of the Rugians, lead by Flaccitheus is anti roman, and would eagerly join any conspiracy against the romans.

The Panonnian Ostrogoths are lead by their King Valimir, who is in the beginnings of a major war with an alliance created by the Gepids.

The Thacian Ostrogoths are Foederatii of the east and under the command of Theodoric Strabo who is a relative of the King Valimir.

The Eastern Empire is under the Emperor Leo who recognized Majorian as his co emperor in the west.

These are the leaders of the world in 463, and war could be at any turn in the future.

Could we have a map of the Western Empire?

Does the Emperor have plans to eventually break the Foederatii and reimpose the Diocletianic provincial administration? What can Majorian do to prevent the breakdown of trade routes and the collapse of the Western monetary system? How’s the state of tax collection in Majorian’s lands?

Could we have a map of the Western Empire?

Does the Emperor have plans to eventually break the Foederatii and reimpose the Diocletianic provincial administration? What can Majorian do to prevent the breakdown of trade routes and the collapse of the Western monetary system? How’s the state of tax collection in Majorian’s lands?

Ill have a map up as soon as i can get it to work.

As for the Foederatii the case of the Vandals was in large part an exception, it needed to be done brutally. As for the rest of the Foederatti u could expect the Roman Emperors to do their best to take back ex roman territory but it all depends on the Foederatii kings and how events unfold.

Destroying the Vandals was a large part of fixing the trade in the Mediterranean. With the Vandals in Africa warbands raided trade routes far and wide all the way to greece, with them gone trade has resumed back to the west. So this would bring in lots of money for the west and renvigotate it.

The tax collection under Majorian has improved in a large part as he has put his foot down on corruption as best he can, from Africa Sicily and Italy the taxes are collected well with the help of some of the army, bringing in tonnes of almost lost revenue for Majorian. The Praefecture of Gaul under Magnus is still under improvement, and events will happen in the next update concerning the taxes in Hispania and Dalmatia.