Romans in 1399 mod thingy for EU3

If you have a problem getting the patch because your code won't work or something PM me and I can help.

EDIT: I also recommend the 4 gb memory fix from the MEIOU installation thread on the Paradox fora. It really helps.

Scratch that, my game is not really worth playing anymore. The UI disappears the first time you make peace and then in my most recent game crashed within a year of that.

*siiiigh* So close.

Continuing to work on Gaul. So many provinces to work through!

• New states:
    • PRS - Paris. Early Frankish kingdom.
    • ASR - Austrasia. Frankish kingdom.
    • SML - St. Malo. Religious order, ahistorical but sounded like a neat idea at the time.
    • AOS - Bernardine Order. Religious order, space-filler between Arles and Lombardia.
    • AQI - Aquitania. Gallo-Visigothic kingdom.
    • TRN - Turnis. Gallic theocracy. Ahistorical inasmuch that the Archdiocese of Tours never acted as an independent city-state.
    • GAS - Wasconia. Kind of fudged it, gave it hints of both Frankish and Visigothic rule.
    • AGL - Angoumois. 9th century Frankish county.
  • Tweaked states:
    • BUR - Burgundy. Given a more "barbarian" feel, less Frenchy, flag is now the coat of arms of Zahringen.
    • ORL - Orleans. Gallo-Romanized, starts off game as HREmperor. I wanted someone weak on the throne at first.
    • BLO - Blois. Gallo-Romanized.
    • AUV - Auvergne. Gallo-Romanized.
    • BRI - Monfort. Name changed to 'Armorica', given a more first-millenium feel.
    • ANJ - Anjou. Name changed to Andegavia, Gallo-Romanized.
  • Cultures!
    • Gallic culture group
      • Massiliot
      • Romand
      • Ligerian
      • Angevin
      • Walhan (Walloon)
      • Soissonaire
      • Narbonese
      • Basque/Vascones
      • Colonial Gallic
        • Might break Soissonaire and Walhan off into a separate 'Belgic' group.
    • Visigothic culture group
      • Aquitanican (Gallic Visigoths)
      • Auscian (Visigoths along the Pyrenees)
      • Tarracan (Visigoths from Tarraconensis)
    • Frankish culture group
      • Salian
      • Ripuarian
      • Aulercian (Frankish replacement for Normans)
  • Progress made on the HRE, but not done reshaping it
    • New-HRE's German borders not yet finalized, "hre = yes" line not yet added to all of Gaul.
    • As it currently stands, HRE electors are:
      • Cologne
      • Trier
      • Roma
      • Ravenna
      • Soissons
      • Turnis
      • Aquitania
        • Will probably change the Cologne, Soissons and Aquitania entries as work begins on Iberia.
  • To-do list:
    • County of Begorra (Pyrenees)
    • Auch theocracy
    • State of Lyon (republic/monarchy?)
    • Visigothic Iberian state centered around Tarragona-- name needed. Tarraconia? There must be some unique name for Visigothic Spain.
    • New flags needed for Gallo-Roman Blois, Gallo-Roman Auvergne, Armorica, Phrygia. Wasconia flag is just a red and blue quartered shield, it's pretty lame.
Oof.

Last edited:
So for this new version we need DW 5.0, install MEIOU mod (latest version?) over it and then this mod over that?
DW patched up to 5.1 (haven't tried out the newest beta patch, probably works), installed MEIOU, and then this can be dropped in the mod folder alongside MEIOU.

And a name for a Iberian Gothic state, it is really hard, maybe this can help (its Gothic Iberia):
Edit: Pretty large so here is the link: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Hispania_700_AD.PNG
:/

And dont you think you need one or two more Frankish cultures? They were pretty big, having northern France and the low countries.
I'll add them as I get to those areas-- I'll probably move Flemish to the Franks as I work through the Lowlands. As it is, though, the only bits I've worked on with Franks are in north-central Gaul, so there's not so much variety yet.

Some spontaneous comments and ideas:

Continuing to work on Gaul. So many provinces to work through!

• New states:
    • PRS - Paris. Early Frankish kingdom.

• Wouldn't it be more interesting if it was a merchant republic (or a grand merchant republic, in MEIOU terms)?

[*]ASR - Austrasia. Frankish kingdom.
      [*]SML - St. Malo. Religious order, ahistorical but sounded like a neat idea at the time.
      [*]AOS - Bernardine Order. Religious order, space-filler between Arles and Lombardia.
      [*]AQI - Aquitania. Gallo-Visigothic kingdom.
      [*]TRN - Turnis. Gallic theocracy. Ahistorical inasmuch that the Archdiocese of Tours never acted as an independent city-state.
      [*]GAS - Wasconia. Kind of fudged it, gave it hints of both Frankish and Visigothic rule.
      [*]AGL - Angoumois. 9th century Frankish county.

I have no comments on this, apart from that I like having the religious orders in there. :)

[*]Tweaked states:
    • BUR - Burgundy. Given a more "barbarian" feel, less Frenchy, flag is now the coat of arms of Zahringen.

• Burgundy is a bit anachronistic though isn't it? With a surviving Rome and everything. It should probably be called something else. How about a name derived from the Rhine?

[*]ORL - Orleans. Gallo-Romanized, starts off game as HREmperor. I wanted someone weak on the throne at first.
      [*]BLO - Blois. Gallo-Romanized.
      [*]AUV - Auvergne. Gallo-Romanized.
      [*]BRI - Monfort. Name changed to 'Armorica', given a more first-millenium feel.
      [*]ANJ - Anjou. Name changed to Andegavia, Gallo-Romanized.

No comment.

[*]Cultures!
    • Gallic culture group
      • Massiliot
      • Romand
      • Ligerian
      • Angevin
      • Walhan (Walloon)
      • Soissonaire
      • Narbonese
      • Basque/Vascones
      • Colonial Gallic
        • Might break Soissonaire and Walhan off into a separate 'Belgic' group.

• I like the Belgic group idea. Please do that. It would add some variation to the mod.

[*]Visigothic culture group
      • Aquitanican (Gallic Visigoths)
      • Auscian (Visigoths along the Pyrenees)
      • Tarracan (Visigoths from Tarraconensis)
      [*]Frankish culture group
      • Salian
      • Ripuarian
      • Aulercian (Frankish replacement for Normans)

There probably shouldn't be a Norman equivalent ITTL. I'd think a more or less united Rome would fight off the Norse much better, and the Norse having their own very separate monotheism is likely to cause a larger divide.

That said if you do end up using a Norman equivalent I don't think a province or two in northern coastal France being Underdanist would be too much out of the question.

[*]Progress made on the HRE, but not done reshaping it
    • New-HRE's German borders not yet finalized, "hre = yes" line not yet added to all of Gaul.
    • As it currently stands, HRE electors are:
      • Cologne
      • Trier
      • Roma
      • Ravenna
      • Soissons
      • Turnis
      • Aquitania
        • Will probably change the Cologne, Soissons and Aquitania entries as work begins on Iberia.
    [*]To-do list:
    • County of Begorra (Pyrenees)
    • Auch theocracy
    • State of Lyon (republic/monarchy?)

I say republic, because the mod needs more noble and merchant republics (what with there being no HRE and such).
    • Visigothic Iberian state centered around Tarragona-- name needed. Tarraconia? There must be some unique name for Visigothic Spain.
    • New flags needed for Gallo-Roman Blois, Gallo-Roman Auvergne, Armorica, Phrygia. Wasconia flag is just a red and blue quartered shield, it's pretty lame.

Any ideas on what you want to do with the Nordics? I may have some ideas... :)

Wouldn't it be more interesting if it was a merchant republic (or a grand merchant republic, in MEIOU terms)?
It's a fairly large chunk of northern Gaul, though, and it historically was a kingdom. I agree that a Frankish merchant republic would be cool, so that might show up in the Lowlands or summat. Lyons will probably end up a merchant republic, too.

Burgundy is a bit anachronistic though isn't it? With a surviving Rome and everything. It should probably be called something else. How about a name derived from the Rhine?
Burgundians crossed the Rhine while the first of the Gothic Wars was going on; by the end of the fifth century, they were already well-settled in what's generally recognized as historic Burgundy. Heck, before the Franks beat the piss out of them, their territory stretched down to the Mediterranean-- the Kingdom of Arles was a Burgundian creation.

I like the Belgic group idea. Please do that. It would add some variation to the mod.
I'll see if I can expand on that group at all. Maybe add in another group based on the Ardennes or summat.

There probably shouldn't be a Norman equivalent ITTL. I'd think a more or less united Rome would fight off the Norse much better, and the Norse having their own very separate monotheism is likely to cause a larger divide.
It isn't so much that I wanted a Norman equivalent as that I didn't want all Frankish territories to be culturally monolithic. In MEIOU proper, the Langue d'Oil culture group only covers the northern half of France and includes 9 different cultures within it (technically 7, as MEIOU 'Frankish' only shows up in restored crusader states and Colonial French only shows up in oversea colones). I wanted to try to reach that level of detail with the Franks, but I was struggling for names and solid information on how historically they might differentiate themselves beyond Salic and Ripuarian.

Any ideas on what you want to do with the Nordics? I may have some ideas... :)
Not a clue, beyond the simple idea of copying what was done for the regular DW version of the mod.
Idea: Jin China is a Mongol Vassal, divided Northern China, and Southern China is united by Song?
A fellow on the Paradox boards suggested emulating the Three Kingdoms, which I'm quite taken by.

DW patched up to 5.1 (haven't tried out the newest beta patch, probably works), installed MEIOU, and then this can be dropped in the mod folder alongside MEIOU.

:/

Yea I know those crazy installation tactics you need for Paradox games.
Make a new install,
patch 1, patch 2,
install mod,
hotfix,
upgrade,
etc.

And what it that for scary smile? <o.o>

birdboy2000

Banned
Odd! That must be a recent problem, nobody else mentioned a... wait, Sveitism? Are you using the 0.1.12 download from the front page? That's not the most recent version; AH.com has a one-month edit-a-post limit, so I couldn't update the first post after a month and had to post updates within the thread.

That's EXACTLY what I was doing. Thanks for your help - will actually be able to play now.

Here is a Map of what I have seen done:

Romantias.png

This always looked like a brilliant project to me and I hope it doesn't fall into obscurity! I have high hopes for the project and regard for the people who are working on it. I'm a terrible programmer, so unfortunately I'd be no help...

Its quite obvious when you think about it.

Search Paradox Interactive Forums up, go there, then go to EUIII in current games (obviously), then MEIOU because thats the mod he is working with, then you will see a thread that is obviously Ofa`s.

Ah, didn't expect it to be stickied. When I looked the first couple of times I automatically skipped over those.

Sorry, yeah, began just posting on the Paradox boards. Haven't quite got Germany done yet...

Some differences from previous DW versions:
  • Avars, not Kipchaks in Pannonia
  • More Lombards.
  • More Hispano-Romans. Lives of the Visigothic Fathers offers some tantalizing references to little post-476 Romantic states in Hispania.
  • More Britons. Quite happy with the patchwork of Brythonic states.
  • Orthodox Papacy. Gives the eastern half of the empire something to vie over while the WRE has the HRE mechanics.