Roman Timeline

Alright, as a treat for you guys, here's a sneak preview of Saeculorum Romanorum. Drumroll please.

700 AUC (54 BC)
Julia Caesaris, wife of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, gives birth to a son, Septimus Pompeius.

During the winter, The Eburones, a tribe of Belgic Gauls, revolts and attacks Roman forces under Quintus Titurius Sabinus and Lucius Aurunculeius Cotta. Cotta is killed while negotiating with Ambiorix, the leader of the Eburones. The Romans, numbering some 15 cohorts, are attacked. Word of the attack reaches Quintus Tullius Cicero (brother of the orator) who leads his men to relieve Sabinus's men. The fighting is fierce and drawn out, only the arrival of Caesar and his men secure victory. Among the Legionaries of Sabinus and Cicero, nearly eight out of every ten men are wounded or killed.

The Treveri, led by Indutiomarus, the mastermind behind the revolt, also rise up, after a receiving premature information that the initial revolt was a success. Their revolt is put down by the Fourth Legion, under Titus Labienus. Indutiomarus and his associates flee across the Rhine.

Now, I've taken one relatively well known event, the death of Julia, and nixed it. She died in childbirth, so its quite possible that she could have survived. I don't have any information on the child, so I assume that it also died. Therefore, I'm just assuming it would be a boy, and named it Septimus. If the child was actually a girl, then I'll just say that the POD was a different sperm winning the race, and that butterflied into Julia's survival.

Now, this is all important for two reasons. First, Pompey seemed to have truly loved her, and this keeps the triumvirate stronger. Second, it doesn't distract Caesar during the winter, which might have been the reason he deployed his troops so thinly in OTL. The first revolt mentioned sounds bad, but it was much worse in OTL. Cotta died in the initial ambush, after being promised safe passage, Sabinus was the one to die during negotiations, and nearly their entire force was wiped out. Cicero's forces, on the other hand, survived only due to Caesar's rescue.

Meanwhile, the second revolt I mentioned doesn't sound bad, but its worse than in OTL, because Indutiomarus, the mastermind behind the entire winter revolt, survives, while he died in OTL during an attack.

So, in summary:
* The Triumvirate is more stable
* Caesar's forces are stronger
* Indutiomarus is probably building up forces beyond the Rhine.

dun dun dun!

Looks like a good beginning. I suppose this is the new POD, with some of the other ideas (like a Crassus victory in Persia) being incorporated?

Will we still have Gnostic Khazars?

Diamond

Banned
Looking forward to seeing the rebirth of this TL.

Can I offer a suggestion, oh great and powerful ladies man? Just a small one? Can you possibly nix the middle names when you're talking about the Romans? Or refer to them by one name only? Or something? It becomes increasingly difficult for me to keep everyone straight...

DominusNovus said:
Well, that'll save me some trouble.

In a bit of foreshadowing, by 1700, the Chinese will have been quite humbled. And very, very bitter.

And then some chancellor Bi Shi Mak of some Chinese state will rise to power, reunify China. China will then go on to start two world wars.

Trust me, I've read his script! :D

Matt Quinn said:
Looks like a good beginning. I suppose this is the new POD, with some of the other ideas (like a Crassus victory in Persia) being incorporated?

Will we still have Gnostic Khazars?
Yes and Yes. :cool:

Diamond said:
Looking forward to seeing the rebirth of this TL.

Can I offer a suggestion, oh great and powerful ladies man? Just a small one? Can you possibly nix the middle names when you're talking about the Romans? Or refer to them by one name only? Or something? It becomes increasingly difficult for me to keep everyone straight...
Well, the format I was going to use was mention them by full name the first time they're mentioned, then refer to them by a one or two name... name after that. So, it'll be Gaius Julius Caesar the first time he's mentioned, and just Caesar or Julius Caesar after that.

NFR said:
And then some chancellor Bi Shi Mak of some Chinese state will rise to power, reunify China. China will then go on to start two world wars.

Trust me, I've read his script! :D
As much as I support the Romans, even I don't buy it. Yes, the Chinese started the Third World War, but you can't blame the other two on them. ;)

DominusNovus said:
As much as I support the Romans, even I don't buy it. Yes, the Chinese started the Third World War, but you can't blame the other two on them. ;)

TYPICAL Chinese apologist! I bet you deny that the Chinese dictator He Li ordered the Holocaust, too! :mad:

NFR said:
TYPICAL Chinese apologist! I bet you deny that the Chinese dictator He Li ordered the Holocaust, too! :mad:
I created this entire world. I'll deny what I wanna deny. :cool:

Seriously, lets not jump the gun. I already gave away a major piece of the future of the timeline, that there'll be 3 world wars between Rome and China. If I give away any more, I'll let myself get tied down into specifics, making it harder to keep the future as nubulous and changable. I want as much of the timeline to just flow, with little or no apparent direction. Its gonna be hard enough as it is, with the first 300 years already written out, for me to go back and avoid repeating it all.

MerryPrankster said:
Othniel,

I think that the Roman TL has been significantly reworked and is now in the "Saecolurum Romanum" (or something like that) thread.
I was just reading over the tls with the most posts. :eek: