Roman Canals in Gaul

As we all know, Roman PODs are popular here, so I thought I would add mine to the list. I became interested in the idea of Roman construction of canals in Gaul a while ago when visiting Provence but never really looked into it any further.

It seems that navigation (rather than say agricultural) canals were not particularly common in the Empire and those that were made were usually rather short. Now I would imagine that would be largely a consequence of the usual issues with infrastructure - cost and benefit. However, it did seem that there was some interest by Roman leaders in building more or longer such canals, one connecting the Rhone with the Rhine and another further south, between the Mediterranean and the Bay of Biscay. These loosely track the modern Canal de L'Est and the Canal du Midi. Neither ever it seems had any work done, for various reasons.

So the questions really are - is it feasible from a technological and financial basis to build say the Rhone-Rhine canal, would the investment be worth it in the medium-long term and if so, when is it most likely to be built

Technologically, I think it's perfectly doable for the Romans. They were, after all, masters of civil engineering. However, it would be very expensive and would probably outweight the benefits in my opinion, but still could be done out of sheer megalomania. It would not be the first time an Emperor orders a massive construction to satisfy his ego. Around the second century CE, I'd say.

Artaxerxes

Banned
You might need a bit more stability as well, the army was usually involved in such large projects as a source of both expertise and cheap manpower.

There is no consensus on whether Romans had effective locks for their canals - both the canals mentioned here required extensive locks to function properly

That is the thing here - there are technological issues. It isn't to say they couldn't be resolved, but it might take a while.

That is the thing here - there are technological issues. It isn't to say they couldn't be resolved, but it might take a while.

I think the issue is that the canals are a solution looking for a problem.

Aside from better connections to Britannia they don't really provide any benefit to the existing Empire.

Aside from better connections to Britannia they don't really provide any benefit to the existing Empire.

I think canals do provide benefit really at any point - allowing the merger of the two riverine networks - which even with Roman land transport competence would still be a marked improvement. I guess I just don't appreciate the actual cost of the land options vs canal options and the cost of building the canals

In a TL where the Romans manage to conquer Germania (eg: no Teutoburg defeat) this can be justified to develop the northern provinces.

The need of a efficient locks design will then arise, but I'm quite sure they can solve it.