Roma Renovata est: A Roman TL

The Fate of Geiseric's Other Sons

• They are captured by Majorian

Votes: 203 68.8%
  • They escape to the Vandal occupied islands

Votes: 92 31.2%

• Total voters
a map would be apreciated imo,
a rumor mill or something that tells us what ther stuff is hapening in the world would also be nice, maybe the butterflyis convinced the eastern romans to "try and keep up" , the barbarian tribes should be reconsidering wheter rome is an easy target like in otl, Describing how italy, north africa and other roman lands are developing would be nice too(ecnomicaly, religiously and culturally).

a map would be apreciated imo,
a rumor mill or something that tells us what ther stuff is hapening in the world would also be nice, maybe the butterflyis convinced the eastern romans to "try and keep up" , the barbarian tribes should be reconsidering wheter rome is an easy target like in otl, Describing how italy, north africa and other roman lands are developing would be nice too(ecnomicaly, religiously and culturally).
I could definitely describe how the world is doing at this point in time, it would be a good change of pace.

A rumour mill could be a possibility as well.

I'm not sure how I would be able to make a map for the world at this current point, I'll have to try to find something. If I can I definitely will though.

24: The Burgundians
A/N: Hello all, I'm back with another Chapter. This is the final part of the Three-parter campaign to retake Roman lands. So far, Majorian has been successful in both Hispania and Illyrica, but can he repeat the same success in Gaul? Only one way to find out.

The Burgundians

On the 9th March, Majorian and his forces reached Gaul (after taking a couple of days to rest). For their Majorian would link up with Aegidius, the Magister Militum of Gaul and Majorian's most loyal friend.

With Aegidius at his side, Majorian began work on his plans for an attack on the Burgundians. It would be the most difficult task yet, therefore much planning was required. It would be one that would have to force out not one tribe, but two, as it would also force back the Alemmani as well.

Majorian and Aegidius gathered up as many soldiers as they could, getting a total of around 40,000 soldiers for this campaign. To help this, he had also gotten the army of Italy, which would be led by Ricimer, to help. That army added another 15,000 soldiers to Rome's military for this particular campaign. Those 15,000 would push the Burgundians from Italy, whilst the 40,000 would push the Burgundians out directly.

All that was left was an excuse, which came a month after Majorian's arrival. The Burgundians had attacked Lugdunum, intent on reclaiming the city. At this, Majorian and his army geared up for war.

Majorian and his army would arrive at Lugdunum on the 11th. The Burgundian quickly broke the siege, retreating to regroup and launch a counterattack. 30,000 Burgundians would clash with 40,000 Romans at the Battle of Lugdunum.

Majorian controlled the left while Aegidius controlled the right. The battle was long and hard fought, with the Romans gaining ground very gradually. At one point, Majorian was hit in the shoulder, doing alot of damage to him and taking him out of the rest of the battle. The Roman army nearly faltered at this by Aegidius was able to take the command of the army to continue Rome's push forward.

Eventually, the Burgundians finally broke retreating from the battle. Over the course of the battle, 6,000 Burgundians and 4,000 Romans would fall.

The Roman army kept up their persuit, driving the Burgundians further and further Back over a series of small skirmishes.

Concurrent to these events the Italian Army were also forcing their way through the Burgundian, eventually reaching Aventicum. On the 19th March, the battle of Aventicum woukd take place. It was smaller than the first battle at Lugdunum, with 15,000 Romans facing 9,000 Burgundians. What it lacked in size, it made up for in intensity.

The battling was fierce, with Romans and Burgundians brawling it out. Ricimer would lead the charge, crashing into the Burgundians with intensity. Whereas Lugdunum was long and slow, Aventicum was short and frenetic. The Burgundians fell back, defeated again, having lost 3,500 compared to the Romans 1,500 losses.

After this back, Majorian would send a letter of praise to Ricimer, asking him when he'll arrive. Ricimer would deliberately delay his answer, as well as the journey. He knew Majorian would wait to link up, wanting to have as many soldiers as possible to attack.

Eventually, Ricimer would (reluctantly) arrive at Vesontio on the 27th March. At this point, the Burgundians had regrouped, preparing to face the Romans once again. 49,500 Romans would face off against 45,000 Burgunians, which had been gathered to fight the Romans over the last few days.

The Battle of Vesontio started well for the Romans, as they pushed back against the Burgundian forces. However things would change when the right of the Roman army began to be bombarded by the Burgundian forces. It was at this moment that Ricimer struck, ordering all of his men to retreat. The Romans were now outnumbered now being only 35,000 strong compared to the Burgundians now 41,000.

The situation was dire as the Burgundians pushed back against the Romans. The Burgundian army soon threatened to ovetwhelm the Romans, morale was breaking defeat looked imminent.

Yet inspite of all of this, one group would refuse to give up, the Legio III Aureliana would rally around their new commander, Procopius Soranus, after the previous one fell early in the battle. Through a vigor not seen in a century, the Legio carved their away through the Burgundians left, stopping the Burgundians from encircling them, before attacking the flank with a vicious fury.

This herculian effort would turn the tide of battle. The rest of the army was reenergised by the Legio III Aureliana's sudden assault. Majorian rallied the men, who began pushing the Burgundians back once again. Bit by bit, the Romans gained ground, gaining strength for the sheer determination to not fall, no matter the cost. The numbers began to even, out eventually shifting in the Romans favour.

When the Army made it's sudden counterpush on the Burgundians it shocked them. They had expected the Romans to break under their onslaught, they had expected surrender by now. Instead not only were the Romans still fighting, they were gaining ground, they were winning.

For the first time in many of the Burgundian soldier, they felt fear towards the Roman. To them, the Roman looked near unstoppable.

They had severely underestimated the Roman spirit, thinking it the same as it had been in the decades prior. Merely 5 years ago, when Majorian had first started his campaigns, the Romans would have happily surrendered to the Burgundians when the Burgundians had bearly overwhelmed them. But Majorians work in increasing patriotism, alongside the recent glories that Rome had expetienced had reinvigorated the Roman spirit. Now, (most) Romans prefered death to dishonour. Some were fighting to live, to make sure that their families could never be harmed.

Under the Roman Assault, the Burgundians broke, surrendering to the Romans. The Romans had pulled off a shocking victory, despite a major part of the army abandoning them.

But it hadn't been great for the Romans. Though the battle was won, and a shocking 23,000 Burgundians dead, it had also been costly to the Roman forces. 13,500 Romans had died in the process. The Romans were too weary to continue.

A treaty was eventually signed, in which the Burgunadians would give up land up to Augustodunum. An improvement for Rome to be sure, but it had been disappointing for Majorian. What was supposed to be a launching pad of a grand reconquest had already come to an end.

But though the Romans had sustained heavy losses and a disappointing gain, their was one positive to this. That Rome had been victorious, and it has been the soldiers willpower that had saved them. This was an important message, one that further served to galvanise the nation.

It had also had another effect, though not one related directly to Rome. As a result of Majorian's campaign, the Burgundians had pushed into the Alemannic Kingdom. Following the campaign, the Burgundians would continue pushing into the Alemannic kingdom, seeing it as an easier target than the reinvigorated Roman. This would anger the Alemanni, beginning the Burgundian- Alemannic war, a war that would last a decade, and change Western Europe drastically for a few.

As Majorian returned to Rome, he was filled with anger, directed at one man, Ricimer. When he got back, Ricimer would not get off scot free and he would make sure of that.

A/N: And that's all for this Chapter! Tensions are beginning to brew between Majorian and Ricimer. How will events progress between them? Thank you all for reading this TL, let me know what you think of it so far, I'd love to hear it. See you next Chapter!

That was a bold move from Ricimer, an act of cowardice and betrayal that hinged on the Romans losing the battle.

I'm glad to see this develop, I wonder if the Allemani will start causing trouble with the shift of population in western Europe.

25: Tensions
A/N: Hello all, here's another chapter for you all. Majorian has a score to settle with one Flavius Ricimer for abandoning the army at Vesontio. What will happen? Only one way to find out.

Tensions

Majorian returned to Italy on the 30th March 463, heading straight for Ravenna. Ricimer had been waiting their for further new. He would arrive at Ravenna with a furious anger never before seen for the emperor.

He stormed through the imperial palace intent on finding Ricimer. Ricimer had set up, preparing himself for what may come, but he wasn't prepared for what he got. When Majorian found Ricimer he immediately began screaming in Ricimer's face. Betrayal, frustration and rage were all pouring out of the emperor. This shocked Ricimer to his core; he had known Majorian over a decade by this point, but he had never seen Majorian this angry. Ricimer backed away, fearing Majorian's wrath for the first time in his life.

He began to do something he despised even thinking about; he begged. He begged to be spared, saying that it was the fault of several of the senators, that the senators had called him back as a part of their plan. Though explanation and grovelling, Ricimer was able to talk Majorian down. While Majorian was great, he had his weaknesses, one of the most prevelant being his gullibleness when it came to those close to him. He trusted his friends, so much so that he would put his life in their hands. In the environment he lived in one can assume in was his skills as a warrior that allowed him to survive so long in such dangerous times.

Majorian's anger subsided, as he believed (or perhaps, wanted to believe) that Ricimer was being genuine. He forgave Ricimer, letting him go unscathed. But that didn't mean that Ricimer would get away with it. On the 1st April, Ricimer was demoted from being Magister Militum and sent to Verona to be watched for the time being.

Majorian would then formalise the positions of Magister Militum, so that the position Ricimer once held would not be as powerful. From this point on the Magister Militum per Italia was established. Aegidius would be Magister Militum of Gaul and Marcellinus would be Magister Militum of Illyrica, as both had already been. Nepotianus's position in Hispania was secured, as he was made Magister Militum of Hispania. Now came Africa and Italy. Africa, to this point since it's reconquest didn't have a proper Magister Militum, as Majorian had been too preoccupied. Majorian would fix that by giving the position of Magister Militum of Western Africa to Procopius Soranus, the one that had warned Majorian of treachery, the one that had found a way through to the Vandals at the Second Battle of Caralis, the one that had rallied the Legio III Aureliana to victory at Vesontio. He had priven himself over 3 years of fighting, growing into a successful and competent general. Finally, he made Gaudentius Magister Militum of Italy, hoping to further his training by giving his duties in state and a higher command in battle.

With that finished he would then reorganise the elite soldiers of each province into new legions, resulting from the influx of new soldiers. The Legio IV Italica, Legio V Gallia, Legio VI Hispanias, Legio VII Africam and Legio VIII Illyricum were all created, serving as the top soldiers of the Magister Militum of their respective region.

Following this Majorian would conduct a purge of senators found guilty of treason, some of which had been pointed out by Ricimer. On the 12th April, 27 senators were purged, made up of both those who were innocent alongside those in the conspiracy, made up of the more unpopular members.

A short while after, word would be recieved of a second child of Majorian and Eudocia, causing even more celebration. Though his child was not thought of as being on the same level as it's elder brother Theodosius, it was always welcome to have more potential successors.

The year of 463 would mark the birth of two more members to the expanding imperial family. First, Placidia and Olybrius(?) Would have a daughter on the 18th May, named Anicia Juliana. She was one that could be used as a way of connecting others to the imperial family. The more important one would come on the 29th August, when the second son of Majorian and Eudocia, Julius Valerius Aurelianus Honorius. Now Rome had not just one potential successor, but two. Majorian could free his mind from the worry of who he was going to be succeeded by, now he could focus on training them to be a proper successor.

But away from watchful eyes, things continued to brew. The conspiracy met up once again, now more angry than ever. Their plans had nearly been uncovered leading to more finger pointing. Is was during these meetings that Ferox Hispaniensis would rise in importance. Before the purge, he was often drowned out by the other more more powerful nobles. Now, he was near the peak of the nobility ladder.

Ferox was one that could be decribed as a "Roman purist", to put it lightly. He was very proud of his patrician heritage, seeing himself as one of the last "pure" Romans. He wanted notjing now than to stomp out these barbarians from what was rightfully Rome's. He detested Non-Romans, among them Ricimer. Ricimer, conversely, did not like Ferox either, coming to see him as the epitome of the arrogance of these senators.

As a result of the two butting heads, the once united conspiracy began to tear in two, along two schools on thought, those of the pro-barbarian Ricimer and anti-barbarian Ferox, dividing the rest of the conspiracy in the process. Over the course of 463, the once united conspiracy would form into two destinctive groups, later refered to as the Ricimerians and the Feroxians. Tensions were building, not only in the conspiracy, but across Rome as a whole.

A/N: And that's all for this Chapter! Things have begun to heat up, as mounting frustrations build. What will happen to the Empire? Stick around and find out. Thank you all for reading, let me know what you thought of this most recent Chapter, the feedback is always appreciated. See you next Chapter!

Last edited:
I'm surprised how much this TL is similar to an abandoned project of mine in which Maiorianus survives that never left my documents, really enjoying it so far and waiting for more Updates.

I only have a few complaints so far:
One is the lack of maps, they aren't that hard to make even if your usual mapper doesn't respond, they don't have to be perfect they just have to show the changes.
The second is the name of Maiorianus' children...I suppose since you said that the Majorian Dynasty began after the birth of Theodosius, their Cognomen is implied...But what about the rest of the name? Shouldn't the names be something like Theodosius Valerius Maiorianus and something like Aurelianus Valerius Maiorianus or Honorius Valerius Maiorianus? Why are they both Julius Valerius? I might be wrong in my reasoning and if I am, this always a good time to learn some more.

I'm surprised how much this TL is similar to an abandoned project of mine in which Maiorianus survives that never left my documents, really enjoying it so far and waiting for more Updates.

I only have a few complaints so far:
One is the lack of maps, they aren't that hard to make even if your usual mapper doesn't respond, they don't have to be perfect they just have to show the changes.
The second is the name of Maiorianus' children...I suppose since you said that the Majorian Dynasty began after the birth of Theodosius, their Cognomen is implied...But what about the rest of the name? Shouldn't the names be something like Theodosius Valerius Maiorianus and something like Aurelianus Valerius Maiorianus or Honorius Valerius Maiorianus? Why are they both Julius Valerius? I might be wrong in my reasoning and if I am, this always a good time to learn some more.

I have my own timeline about majorian as well one that i was gonna revive before this well done timeline hit the market lol, as for the names, idk about this author but funnily enough Majorians first child is the same as mine minus the added Gaius Julius Valerius Theodosius, everything ive read on Majorian puts his name at Flavius Julius Valerius Majorian meaning he has a dual nomen, Julius Valerius being his nomen, and Majorianus being his cognomen. Hence why i think the author put the Augustus sons as both Julius Valerius.

26: In Reaction to Victory
A/N: Hello all, back again with another chapter! This chapter will be looking at the lands around Western Rome and how they feel about Rome's resurgence. I hope everyone enjoys this newest chapter!

In Reaction to Victory

Following the Battle of Vesontio, word would quickly spread of how the Roman forces had won despite being abandoned by their allies and then outnumbered. This news would start creating an aura of invinsibility around the Rome. From this point on, the countless Germanic Kingdoms would not view as simply a formerly grand nation past it's prime, with territory ripe for the taking. Instead, the various kingdoms viewed Western Rome as a nation beginning its true ascent as a force not to be reckoned with.

The one that learned this lesson firsthand were the Burgundians. Gundioc returned from the battle, damaged both mentally and physically. It was supposed to be his finest moment, defeating the Romans in one decisive battle. He had worked with his brother-in-law Ricimer in order to make sure the Romans lost, and that the emperor died. But not only did Majorian survived, but the Romans won the battle. It was rather a pyrric victory, but a victory none the less.

It was at this point Gundioc turned his attention North, to the Alemannic Kingdom. To him, Rome was now no longer the most viable option, as trying to do so would run his men into the ground. The Alemanni, on the other hand, were much smaller players in Western Europe. They were much easier targets for conquest, they weren't even a united people, more a loose confederation under the same banner. The Burgundians had already started to push the Alemanni out to get away from Majorian, soon it would be time to finish the job.

Another group that learned the wrath of the Romans were the Ostrogoths. They had tried to take all of Illyria, and paid dearly of it. In the days following the Romans crushing victory at Surmium, Valamir had been forced to step down as king due to his blindness. In his place, a new king was chosen. Theodemir stepped up as the new king. He had come from the Amal Dynasty, a distinguished group of Gothic nobles for centuries by this point. He had already ruled over a section of the Ostrogothic Kingdom alongside his brothers-in-law, Valamir and Videmir. Now he continued gaining prestige.

He knew that trying to attack Rome, especially now would be akin to suicide. Instead, he sent gifts of gold following the births of Anicia Juliana and Honorius. Theodemir hoped to eventually join his family to the Roman imperial family through marriage in order to create an alliance. This would come either through a marriage of Anicia Juliana to his son Theodoric, or more preferably, Honorius to his daughter, Amalafrida. He knew that marrying Amalafrida to the firstborn son, Theodosius would be the most ideal, but it was also one that he knew would not be accepted by the Romans. The spare heir might be a possibility with enough time though.

Regardless, he knew that right now, he could not afford to make the same mistake his predecessor had done. If the Ostrogoths were to survive they would need Rome as an ally, not an enemy.

The Alemanni were stunned at Rome's victories, they had not expected the old empire to be so strong. It was as if it had been reborn, like a phoenix under its new master. But whilst there was awe, there was also frustration, not so much at the Romans, but at what they had forced the Alemanni's way; The Burgundians. The Burgundians had begun pushing their way into Alemanni land, wanting to reestablish themselves to the direct detriment of the Alemannic Kingdom.

It was during this time that one of the smaller leaders of the Alemannic confederation would rise in prominance, a young man by the name of Barodur. He would had a love for Rome and it's society, wanting for his people to reach the heights of military and societal brilliance that Rome had had. He knew that he would have to repeat what Majorian had done in order to keep the Alemanni going. He studied many battles and tactics.

This would be the man that would come to reshape the Alemanni forever, turning it into one of the greatest Gernanic forces of the late 5th and Early 6th century. For now though, he was the man tasked to with protecting the Alemanni for Burgundian invasion.

The Franks would recieve word of the Victories of one Majorian not long after the Burgundians.

Childeric, King of the Salian Franks would find himself awed at Rome's refusal to die, despite being past it time. However, his reaction would differ in one key aspect. Instead of fear, what he felt towards Rome was respect. Childeric respected the tenacity that Rome had shown over the past 6 years. To Childeric, Rome was now a true challenge, worthy of respect. He had no plans to stop his conquests, but he now had to take more care in how he did so. He knew that when he fought Rome, nothing less than his absolute best would be required.

Both Visigoths (under Theodoric II) and Suebi (led by Richimund and Frumar) were both joined in relief that they had not been victims of Majorians latest campaigns. They had already had to battle Majorian in the first few years of his reign, and had lost much of their power as a result.

But they were also angry, wanting the power they had in years prior, but being unable to do anything against the growing might of the emperor. If they lost to him at the early stages of his reign, when he was still technically a puppet, trying anything at this stage was completely idiotic. All they could do for the time being was wait, and bide time to strike.

The Eastern Roman Emperor Leo sat on this throne, reading over the letter recounting Majorian's victory.

As he did, a few emotions ran through his head. One of them was pride. Pride that Rome was still able to rise to the occasion and conquer, even after centuries of previous degradation. He hoped to eventually see both sides of the empire reunited as one glorious nation (preferably under his rule), now a possibility thanks to Majorian.

But the other major emotions were those of envy and inferiority. He and Majorian had ruled for roughly the same amount of time, yet Majorian had accomplished so much more than he had. Majorian had revived the Western Empire, turning it from a shadow of it's former self, back into the tenacious and mighty empire it had once been. Leo hadn't done much of note in his reign as emperor.

Many in his own court even refered to Majorian as the "Superior Emperor on an inferior Throne". This fuelled him, he wanted to prove himself as an effective emperor.

This is when Asper struck, egging on Leo to invade the West. Fortunately, Leo had enough sense to shut this idea down ( although he pondered it for a moment). Asper then backtracked, instead egging on the emperor to invade Dacia. It had been former Roman lands afterall. If he could reclaim it, he could say he was "restoring the empire", just like Majorian. Leo thought over this, as much as he hated giving in to Asper, his ambition eventually drove him towards this goal.

Leo was going to retake Dacia, and there was nothing that could stop him.

A/N: And that is all for now. I wanted to do something different, focusing on the world around Western Rome. I would like to thank @Marius Herman for some of the ideas, thank you so much! Next Chapter will go into 464, as the divisions between the Ricimerians and Feroxians continue to fester. Thank you all for reading this series, let me know what you have to think, feedback is always appreciated. See you next Chapter!

Last edited:
27: Division
A/N: Hello all, once again I am back with another Chapter. This time we'll be seeing how things progress for both the empire and the conspiracy through 464. I hope you all enjoy this newest Chapter.

Division

464 AD

The year of 464 AD passed smoothly for the most part for the empire. After completing his latest campaign the previous year, he settled on focusing on consolidating his borders, ensuring that the empire was running effectively and establishing relations with the other kingdoms around him.

He also began to indulge more in his private life, now that Rome was a peace. He would spend more time with his wife Eudocia, his eldest son Theodosius and his newborn son Honorius throughout 464. Majorian wanted to make to that his children (in particular, Theodosius) grew up to be effective, capable leaders, resulting in this increased time at home.

He would also use this time to train his protege Gaudentius. On the 1st January, Ricimer had been returned to his position of Magister Militum, although only of Italy. He had used as a test, seeing if Gaudentius could run the day to day goings of the empire effectively. He was able to run Italy with well enough efficiency for the territory he was given, the level he was working at would not be enough to keep the whole empire running effectively. It was for this reason that he upped Gaudentius's training, further bonding with the young man, as if Majorian was a second father, he would also sent Gaudentius around the empire to train with the Magister Militae of the other provinces.

Their would be only one major change in 464. Pope Leo would die on the 23rd March. Though he had been holding out and staying alive, the health of the now former Pope had been declining for the last few years, until his body had finally given out on him. His successor, Pope Hilarius , a former legate of Leo, would be step up a week later, on the 30th March.

The Western Roman Empire was in a state of relative peace and prosperity. The same could not be said for the Grand Conspiracy...

The Grand Conspiracy to depose Majorian, which had formed in 461 as a union of Ricimer and a bunch of senators, had been slowly splitting apart since 463. This split had been facilitated by a division in ideologies between the Barbarian Magister Militum Flavius Ricimer and Pure-Roman Senator Ferox Hispaniensis. Both sides still wished to depose Majorian, and so the core of their plans were the same, but their ideologies of how to deal with "foreign affairs", causing the specifics to differ drastically.

But it was in 464 that the split would become official, when, after another arguement between Ricimer and Ferox, tensions would boil over causing a brawl to erupt in the hideout.

Following this, Ferox would gather up his supporters and travel to Neapolis, setting up the city as their new headquarters, whilst Ricimer would retreat to Mediolanum to set up his headquarters. Ferox's supporters consisted of the those in the conspiracy who were of Italian descent of some sort, whilst Ricimer's were those decended and born outside of Italy, made up of those born in and out of the empire.

Ricimer's plan remained mostly unchanged, only some minor changes to be more including to other Batbarians and to stop the expansions, as it could put a strain of the economy.

It was Ferox who introduced major change to the original plan. He first wanted to convince Majorian to be harder on the barbarians. In truth, he didn't hate Majorian for his reforms concerning money and men, he could see that Rome needed those if it was to survive; he had even forked over some of his men to the army, coercing them to join. He agreed with the Romanization of the Army, he agreed with the expansion. What he hated was Majorian's kindness towards barbarians, it infuriated him that the Barbarian that had infested his home of Rome and had not been made to pay.

If Majorian did not comply with his wishes he would depose him, and install Theodosius as the new emperor. But whereas Ricimer wanted to make Theodosius into his weak-willed puppet, Ferox hoped to forge the young boy into a man with a singular focus on taking back what was theirs, hoping to create a new Germanicus or Valentinian I.

Things had continued to heat up between the two factions, with no end to the ravalry in site. But they would not make any moves throughout 464.

That would change in 465.

A/N: And that's all for this Chapter. 464 is much less eventful compared for Western Rome compared to the years previous, but things will be different in 465. Thank you all for reading, let me know what you thought, the feedback is always appreciated. See you next Chapter!

I could see these two factions developping more along with time ending up as two political party like the left and right. A good chapter overall, it help understanding the motivations of the senators involved in the conspiracy.