Roma Renovata est: A Roman TL

The Fate of Geiseric's Other Sons

• They are captured by Majorian

Votes: 203 68.8%
  • They escape to the Vandal occupied islands

Votes: 92 31.2%

• Total voters
Sounds very, very promising! I can't wait to see the reconquest of Africa and Majorian's undoubtedly triumphant return to Italy.

Also, I strongly advise you to use threadmarks. Your TL is small and easily readable for now, but once it turns into something big they'll make it much easier for people to read the actual updates rather than pages upon pages of clutter.

If you want ‘Rome’s Resurgence‘ it’s rendered ‘Renovatio Romae’. ‘Roma renovata est’ is perfectly good Latin, but it means ‘Rome is renewed’. That’s a good title as well, but a little different to what you want.
Thanks for the info!

I think I'll keep the title as is, because I've already changed it once and it still fits with what I am going for, but thanks for pointing that out!

Sounds very, very promising! I can't wait to see the reconquest of Africa and Majorian's undoubtedly triumphant return to Italy.

Also, I strongly advise you to use threadmarks. Your TL is small and easily readable for now, but once it turns into something big they'll make it much easier for people to read the actual updates rather than pages upon pages of clutter.
Thanks you for the compliment! Can't wait to write it, but I can tell you one person who won't be happy to see it.

I was already planning on adding threadmark for when I started to get deeper into the TL, but good to know that someone's thinking the same.

Hope you enjoy the TL as it continues to unfold!

01: The Invasion Begins
A/N: Here it is, the official first part! I hope all of you that read the prologue enjoyed it. I've been planning to do something like this for a while and now, here it is! With the introductions out of the way, lets now return to our favourite emperor Majorian, and his mission to take back North Africa from the Vandals. Hope you enjoy!

The Invasion Begins

With the last preparations completed, Majorian was finally ready to begin the assault on the Vandals to retake Africa. As he made his final inspections of his fleet, he laughed to himself. If it wasn't for the curiosity of a young soldier picking up on a seemingly random discussion, this whole operation would have gone up in smoke. But as it was now, he stood on the precipice of regaining Romes glory. If only the Augusti of the past could see it now, how Rome had fallen so far, yet had still managed to pick herself up a kept on going. He wondered what his comrades would say; He thought of Aegidius and Marcellinus, he thought about Nepotianus, and his co-emperor, Leo. But the one who he thought about most, was his dearest friend, Ricimer. They had known each other from when they were but mere soldiers, serving under Flavius Aetius. He wondered what his Magister Militum would think of this impending conquest.

With all preperations and inspections completed, after months of anticipation, he and his army boarded the ships and set sail for Africa, ready to take the lands of Rome back, for the empire and its eternal glory.

As Majorian set sail for Carthage, the Vandal king Geiseric was having his own issues to deal with. He had recieved news that not only had the fleet not been destroyed, but that it was getting ready to sail for the Vandal Kingdom, if not sailing already. For the first time in his reign as King of the Vandal, Geiseric felt that his position, and even his life were in danger. Geiseric had seen Majorian skill against the likes of the Visigoths and Suevi. Now that man was headed right to his doorstep, on a warpath to take back the land Geiseric had claimed during the Reign of Valentinian III. Geiseric immediately sent out orders to sent out the Navy to go and fight Majorians forces. He hoped to catch Majorians forces whilst they were still unaware, in hopes that he would have to turn back, or even die in battle. At the very least, he hoped to delay Majorians arrival, to allow him more time to come up with a proper counter attack.

Geiseric sat on his throne, wondering how it could have gone so wrong. Had the men he paid decided to take the money and leave him to burn, or had they been found out. This meant they were either traitors or fools, likely both. Right now it did not matter, he had to prepare to prepare for war, a war that could very well see his end.

A/N: And that's the first official chapter, I hope you enjoyed. I am looking forward to what you have to say about it. See you next Chapter!

Last edited:
I'm not sure Majorian would sail straight for Carthage. To me, the fact his fleet was based in Cartagena indicates that he would likely land someplace west of it (like Caesarea or Hippo Regius) and retake the rest of North Africa before attacking Carthage itself.

Other than that, nice update!

I'm not sure Majorian would sail straight for Carthage. To me, the fact his fleet was based in Cartagena indicates that he would likely land someplace west of it (like Caesarea or Hippo Regius) and retake the rest of North Africa before attacking Carthage itself.

Other than that, nice update!
I'll keep that in mind...

I second @Vinization, sailing right for Carthage is a death sentence seeing as how the vandal fleet protects it. I don’t think a man like Majorian would be foolish enough to attack Carthage without overwhelming force, which he doesn’t have. Landing somewhere in western part of the vandal kingdom, if not in the lands of the Romanized Berbers, would be a smarter and safer ideas. This would ensure that there were no enemies to the rear of the army and Majorian could win over locals like Belisarius did 70 years later.

02: Arrival
A/N:Thank you for all the support you have given this series so far! It has really helped motivate me to push this series out so fast. When I started this, I was planning on having one or two every weekend, and I'll probably settle into that after a while, especially if real life catches up, or if I think of any new ideas for TL's. But for now, expect a new update to the TL once every day or two. I would also like to thank @Vinization and @ImperialxWarlord for giving me pointers on what Majorian would do in the war and I think the next few chapters will be more interesting as a result. Without further ado, the second part of Roma Renovata est!

Arrival

Geiseric, fearing for his kingdom and his life, he sent out his fleet to intercept Majorian, to cripple his fighting force as soon as possible. It had taken weeks to arrive at where they planned to attack the Roman fleet. But when they got they, they noticed something very wrong. It was reported that 300 ships were sailing to the Vandals, but the fleet only found 15 ships, and most alarming, none of them had Majorian.

Their surprise had failed.

Majorian had sent a small portion of his fleet on the original path, whilst his main army travelled west of Carthage, to the Hippo Regius. The Vandals had passed by most of the fleet, without even knowing. The Vandals didn't know everything, but they knew this, they wouldn't be able to stop the fleet from landing now. But they could try going back now.

Suddenly, the rear of the fleet was under attack another 15 ship were attacking the Vandals from the back. It was at this moment that the original 15 sailed in and attacked. It was an ambush, one that they had fallen right into. In the chaos, 9 Vandal ships were lost. Before they could retaliate the 30 ships had fled in two directions. The commander of the fleet sent 40 ships out to chase after the small fleet, 20 in one direction, 20 in the other. It wasn't great, but it was the best option they have. Their other options where to try and continue on as a full fleet, dealing with the fleet harassing them, picking off more and more of the fleet, or destroy them at once, which would delay their arrival at Carthage. Of the 350 ships sent to destroy Majorian, 9 were already destroyed, and another 40 were already being send off. The Vandals couldn't risk any more delays or losses. If they wanted to save the Vandal Kingdom, they had to get back as soon as possible.

Back at Carthage, Geiseric recieved the news, Majorian would arrive in but a matter of days. At this point, Geiseric was cursing himself, he had been too careless in his efforts to try and stop Majorian. He knew that he had walked right into a trap, and now his greatest threats arrival was near inevitable. He took a moment to collect himself before deciding what to do next. He decided to split his army in two, one would be led by his son, Huneric to catch Majorian and his forces at Hippo Regius, the other would stay in Carthage to protect the city. The situation was desperate, but not unbeatable. As long as he could stall out the Romans, he could bolster he fleet with the fleet. As long as he could do this, he stood a far better chance at winning.

Finally, on the 31st August, 460, Majorian and his force have arrived at Hippo Regius. The Vandalic War had begun.

A/N: And that is Chapter Two complete. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, the next one will see the first battle of the Vandalic War. Let me know if there is anything I could improve upon and I'll be happy to try and make the change to make this series greater. See you next chapter!

Is Geiseric afraid that the Carthaginian aristocracy might stage a coup behind his back if he brought the full weight of his army to bear against Majorian? I can't see this ending well for him.

I can't wait to see how the Church will evolve in the coming centuries with a lasting Western Empire. One thing's for sure, the east-west schism will happen a lot sooner.

Excellent update!

Last edited:
To use an anachronism... subscribed! This TL is well written with good prose (important!) and is very readable. I’m quite a fan of late Roman TL’s, and Majorian is surprisingly underexplored.

This Dovahhaty chap- I’ve Googled him, and he looks interesting, but I note he started off in 4chan and jokingly refers to “chads”- I trust he isn’t, you know, one of THEM?

Is Geiseric afraid that the Carthaginian aristocracy might stage a coup behind his back if he brought the full weight of his army to bear against Majorian? I can't see this ending well for him.

I can't wait to see how the Church will evolve in the coming centuries with a lasting Western Empire. One thing's for sure, the east-west schism will happen a lot sooner.
I hadn't thought of that, I might have to think of including that. My rationale was that he would keep some of his army in the capital in order to defend the city against a weakened Roman force, as well as to deal with another issue that will definately be present in upcoming chapters, especially as the war progresses.

As for the church, I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about the church, but as you said, the schism could happen alot sooner. Not within Majorians lifetime, but possibly in the course of the TL.