Roma Renovata est: A Roman TL

The Fate of Geiseric's Other Sons

• They are captured by Majorian

Votes: 203 68.8%
  • They escape to the Vandal occupied islands

Votes: 92 31.2%

• Total voters
62: Touch Ups and Loose Ends
A/N: Hello all, it's been so long since I posted an update, more than 10 months in fact. I'm so sorry I've been gone that long. I've dealt with alot of burnout from writing, and my first year of Uni took up some of my time and passion, but I'm finally back. Hopefully, I will be able to continue this story, at least until the end of Majorian (hopefully past that). But I suppose that's enough talk, enjoy the long awaited Chapter 62 of Roma Renovata Est.

Touch Ups and Loose Ends

Majorian was no longer the spring chicken he was when he began his reign. Since he was a young soldier under the command of the great Flavius Aetius he had dreamed of bringing back the former glory of Rome. 18 years ago, he got that oppertunity when he and Ricimer deposed Avitus, and ever since he had run with that oppertunity, reconquering lands in Gaul, Hispania, Illyrica and North Africa. He had implimented major reforms into the system to curb the corruption that had plagued the empire for so long under weak and foolish emperor and had pushed back those that had sought to depose him. His reign had been the first truly stable period in decades, not the most peaceful or prosperous, but certainly and improvement over what had come before. His reign had been the greatest seen since at least Theodosius, perhaps Valentinian or even Constantine himself.

But for all his achievements, Majorian still felt disappointed in himself. He had grand ambitions for reconquest over all of Rome's former territories, perhaps even reunification with the East. Now those would never come to fruition under his sword, as the damage accrewed over his years of service to the empire had taken their toll. Now he could no longer fight. Not effectively. He felt pathetic at this, Emperors like Aurelian were fighting and leading armies well into their 60s, and he was forced to abandon fighting at just 55.

His ability had seen him curb any dissent over his rule, but he knew that it wouldn't be his rule that would truely test if his work could be sustained, but rather those of his successors. His sons, Theodosius and Honorius would have to carry his torch forward. He had trained them for the role of Emperor, even considering making them co-emperor at one point, but did not want to risk further division to the empire at such a dire time. He hoped that with how they were, they would still make for an effective duo, with Theodosius' interest in administration and Honorius' skill for warfare, allowing for them to cover each others weaknesses. Still, Majorian was worried, as even though they we only young, they were already showing who they would be in adulthood. Theodosius was very meek, rarely talking to others unless needed, whilst Honorius was growning up to be rather haughty and arrogant in his skills. Hopefully, he would still have time to fix this. Majorian knew that power was a poisonous thing, and his boys would have to be greater men in order to survive in this cutthroat world.

He was glad that they had the friends needed to give them a chance. He just hoped they would not endure the same fate as him, watching his friends die off or turn their backs on him, until he was the only one left. The last of a generation. Eudocia was great, the best wife he could have ever had, but she had not fought alongside him for decades upon decades, not like Aegidius, or Marcellinus, or Nepotianus, or even Ricimer had. He was one of the last of a dying generation. Of heroes that fought to preserve the light of Rome. Soon, he would have to pass the torch to the next, to let them bring back light to the world, or to let the light fade into the darkness.

Most of what he dreamed of achieving was now lost to him. But not all. He still had some final contributions to make before his time came.

The first was in the form of his legal reforms, the Novellae Maioriani. For the most part they had been successful in stemming the tide of degradation and picking up the broken pieces of the West. Of course, some the trends seen in the WRE would be too difficult to truly fix in only his lifetime, it being left to his children and his childrens children to finish what he had started.

Still, Majorian was set on making some final reforms. In October of 474, he would make his final additions to the laws.

Novella Maioriani 18: On the Purchase, Ownership and Regulation of Land, wherein landowners would be required to summit reports to the state (or to the local governor, which were then to be delivered to the central state in Ravenna) about the production rates of produce within their lands for every acre of land (roughly). Minimum rates would be administered by the state to account for varying factors that could affect production. Failure to meet required levels (messaged out to land owners at the start of each season, though subject to reduction should factors become too damaging to production) at the end of a season would result in a few warning, and should requirements continue to not be met, would result in the landowners being compelled to sell the land. Failure to report production would result in a survey by the state into the properties of the landowner, as well as likely confiscation of the less productive lands. Any land taken or brought from the landowners would then be sold off to a roman citizen, with individuals with fewer/no previous lands and especially former soldiers getting priority. The reform was intended to up production of the land by regulating production and preventing land from going unused as much as possible, as incentivising recruitment into the army and increased loyalty to the state through the potential of new farm land to work.

But Majorian knew the law would create worries over the security of the property, so he created Novella Maioriani 19: On the Security of Land as an amendment. The Law stated that new farmholders would not be subject to minimum requirement for the first 2 years of their ownership, though they would still need to send in reports and accounts of production. Majorian hoped that on top of providing a measure of security, that it would also allow new farmholders time to adjust to the farm.

Finally, Majorian instituted the Novella Maioriani 20: On the Education of Future Citizens. The law called for the creation of public schools across the country that would allow for any citizens children between the ages of 4-11, which would be funded through taxation, as well as by the Imperial Coffers, should it be necessary. Majorian implimented this in order to create a wider pool of skilled statesman to aid the Empire in the future.

The Laws of Majorian would be compiled alongside many established laws compiled in previous law codes such as the Codex Theodosianus, creating a new Law Code, the Codex Maiorianus. Though changes would be made to the code over the decades following his death, these would act as definitive code in the Western Roman Empire for the next century.

Finally finished with his laws and reforms, he turned his attention to the monuments, and contruction. He started by further adding to and reinforcing elements like aqueducts. Then he moved on to creating art and records, so that the legend of old and new would be remembered across time. New statues would be made for the first time since Valentinian III. Statues of Heroes and Legends, from Kings like Romulus, to Republicans like Scipio Africanus and Marius Triumvires like Caesar and Pompey, Princeps like Augustus, Vespasian, Trajan, Hadrian, Gallienus and Aurelian, to Dominus' like Constatntine, Julian, Valentinian and Theodosius up to even recent generals like Stilicho and Aetius, using these heroes of times gone by as a beacon with which to rally and inspire the warriors and leaders of the future.

Surprisingly, Majorian never commissioned one for himself, as far as we know, with the statues of Majorian only being commissioned for his funeral by Theodosius. Perhaps it was as an act of reverence towards to past, or an attempt to look humble to his subjects. Ultimately no one can say for sure what was going through the mind of Majorian at this time.

But it was with this he would truely begin his final major project. Commissioning Ambrosius of Cartagena, Majorian would seek to compile the myths and stories of Rome throughout the years into one great tapestry, the Annal of Heroes. It would take many years to complete, but Majorian would live to see its completion.

But as the old heroes of the Catalunian Plains and the early battles of Majorian's reconquests gradually faded from the spotlight into the pages of history alongside the heroes that they admired, the next generation of heroes and legends began their ascent from the shadows into the light as one year ticked over into the next.

And the shadows of a distant doom climbed ever higher to match them.

A/N: And after all this time, Chapter 62 is finally complete. It has been along time coming (I don't know if it will be reported as spam or not due to how long it has been). I hope to keep the train going for as long as I can manage. It will be along time before the end of this saga, and I still have much more to offer and many more plans for Rome (Majorian's story is only Act One). See you next Chapter!

This was glorious. I read the whole thing from start to finish and it blew me away. The Leonid reconquest of Dacia was prob my favorite part since I've never seen it done before

Some thoughts:

1) What is going on with the Persians at this point? It's been quiet since the middle of the war with Dacia but I hope the Sassanid Shahs decide to expand east into India rather than keep skirmishing in inconclusive wars with Rome.

2) The empire is still officially Christian at this point, correct? I haven't heard much about the religious debates since Pope Leo died

3) What is the status in Britain?

Last edited:
This was glorious. I read the whole thing from start to finish and it blew me away. The Leonid reconquest of Dacia was prob my favorite part since I've never seen it done before

Some thoughts:

1) What is going on with the Persians at this point? It's been quiet since the middle of the war with Dacia but I hope the Sassanid Shahs decide to expand east into India rather than keep skirmishing in inconclusive wars with Rome.

2) The empire is still officially Christian at this point, correct? I haven't heard much about the religious debates since Pope Leo died

3) What is the status in Britain?
I'm glad you've enjoyed this story so far, it is always nice to hear feedback about my work. As for your questions:

1) I don't focus much on the Persians, as the TL is mainly focused on the Western half of the Empire. That being said, they will play a part in the TL when we get into part 2. As for now, they are likely undergoing some sort of turmoil right now, potentially with the Hephthalites as he would engage in 484 IOTL.

2) Essentially. Though some level of Paganism remains in Rome, especially thanks to Majorian's toleration of Pagans, most of the Empire is some form of Christianity in 475, by the time Majorian becomes Emperor, it was essentially irreversible.

3) I haven't highlighted Britain yet, but believe me, when I can get to Part 2, you will find out about Britain.

If you have anymore questions, I would love to hear them.

I'm glad you've enjoyed this story so far, it is always nice to hear feedback about my work. As for your questions:

1) I don't focus much on the Persians, as the TL is mainly focused on the Western half of the Empire. That being said, they will play a part in the TL when we get into part 2. As for now, they are likely undergoing some sort of turmoil right now, potentially with the Hephthalites as he would engage in 484 IOTL.

2) Essentially. Though some level of Paganism remains in Rome, especially thanks to Majorian's toleration of Pagans, most of the Empire is some form of Christianity in 475, by the time Majorian becomes Emperor, it was essentially irreversible.

3) I haven't highlighted Britain yet, but believe me, when I can get to Part 2, you will find out about Britain.

If you have anymore questions, I would love to hear them.
I was gonna ask for a map but I found it a few pages back. If I were you I'd threadmark it so people will see the state of the Empire.

Will the Western capitol be relocated permanently back to Rome?

Really nice to see this return, one of my favourite timelines on this site. If I had to ask something I guess it would be how North Africa is doing now under *proper* roman rule and how the moorish are reacting to being back under ravenna even though they kinda had their own romano-moorish kingdom going on around this time iirc

Really nice to see this return, one of my favourite timelines on this site. If I had to ask something I guess it would be how North Africa is doing now under *proper* roman rule and how the moorish are reacting to being back under ravenna even though they kinda had their own romano-moorish kingdom going on around this time iirc
I'm happy you're enjoying this TL, it's nice to known my work is a favourite of someone.

As for your question, for now North Africa is fairly stable, as it has avoided most of the bloodsged going on in Europe since Majorian's capture. That might not remain the case forever though.

i read this TL up to this point and i enjoyed it especially when majorian crushed ricimers revolt and gave the german rat what he should have gotten in OTL. and i can't wait for the next chapter to see how majorian deals with ballio luccius. i also have a question: is there a chance that either sidonius apolinaris or ecdicius (emperor avitus' son) will make an appearance? it would be interesting to see what sidonius has been doing considering majorian is still alive.

63: Budding
A/N: Hello, I'm back with another Chapter of Roma Renovata est. We now enter 475 AD and the next generations of Roman Legionaries. Will they be able to step up to fill the hole the previous generation left behind. That question will start to be answered as we move into the new year.

Budding

475 AD

Over the many generations, Roman heroes had risen to meet the threats that Rome faced. From Brutus and Cinncinatus to Scipio, Caesar and Augustus to The Five Good Emperors, Aurelian, Diocletian and Constantine to Stilicho, Aetius and now Majorian, even the darkest moments, there would always be those that would rally under undying hope and light to protect the fires of Rome.

But no man lasts forever, and eventually the heroes of today fade into the pages of yesterday. Then it is left to the warriors of tomorrow to pick up the torch and carry it into the new dawn.

By 475, the Children of Majorian had grown into very defined characters within the saga of Rome's history, characters that would define the next decades of Rome, for worse and for better. Though they had yet to reach the point of responsibilty to Rome, they nonetheless began to explore what the wider world had to offer.

Theodosius, heir to Majorian, now 13 years of age was not one to be described as willful. At best, he could be seen as reserved, at worst neurotic. He prefered the comfort of a book to excitement of a sword and would often stay locked in his room, sometimes for days at a time (whenever he could get away with it), only brief interactions for meals wishing to avoid associating with others, and though he had a talent for administration, it was a talent he had little interest in using. It was in the realms of the spiritual and philosophical that Theodosius dwelt. His mind would wonder for hours upon hours over the abstract issues of life, distracting himself from it's realities.

As such, his nervous disposition and noted disinterest in politics, it made him a prime puppet for the parasites that sought to benefit from his position. Majorian could keep them at bay for now, but it would not be long before that protection ends.

As such, it would seem to fall to his second son, Honorius, now 12, to keep the dynasty together. Honorius was very much his brothers opposite, boisterous and adventurous, the boy stood proud. Whilst his brother rejected reality, Honorius embraced it. Whereas Theodosius was focused on the spiritual and philosophical, it was history, especially military and political history that caught the attention of Honorius. He had been raised on the stories of old Roman heroes, the legends of old and how they persisted against the flow of time. Honorius spent much of his youth reliving those stories alongside his younger sister, Julia Eudoxia, as well as friends like Rugalius and Aetius the Younger.

But it was now, in 475 AD, that Honorius finally made his first moves. While he wasn't as high up on the pillar as his father or brother, his status as the spare to the Empire allowed him freedoms greater than anyone else, and he would use them.

It was this year he would first venture out into the Roman army. He would not be on the front lines, his status and age barring him from such a position for the time. Instead, he would serve as an understudy in the Legio V Gallia. He would join as a thin-striped tribune, there to learn from superiors like Syagrius, seing what it meant to be a leader, though kept from true responsibility, as he was yet to reach maturity. Still, this expecerience acted as a rite of passage for Honorius, his first experience on the field as a soldier, learning what it took to lead.

It was here that Honorius would also meet the young Scipio, as well as reunite with Ballio Luccius, both now Decanii of Contuburniums within the first Cohort.

Transfered to the 5th Legion following the Amorican War, the young Scipio had been quickly rising in prestige within the legion, already considered for the role of a Centurion due to his skills and his lineage. Scipio was very outgoing and charismatic, able to rally his fellow soldier through his words and actions with an ease that few his age could match.

Though only 20, Luccius was already regarded as something of a prodigy, known in the 5th Legion for his skills and ferociousness on the battlefield. Though his race and age precluded him from higher positions, he was allowed a certain amount of courtesy his kin often did not recieve.

It is within the contuburnium that we find to be the few people Luccius had any genuine care for. Two stand out in particular. The first was Adalhard, then going by the name Secundinus, who served as Luccius' right hand man throughout his life, as well as his closest friend. The other was Vibius Sestius Esquilinus, a young Roman soldier from the gens Sestia, a patrician family of very little importance by the 5th Century AD. A year younger than Luccius, Vibius was lightly built, described as feminine in appearance. The two were known to spend a lot of time together when not on duty especially at night, one of the few Romans that Luccius showed any outward care for.

That did not extend to Honorius, who he continued to regard (at least outwardly) with apathy at best, often crossing into abrasiveness and even hostility. In spite of this, Honorius regarded both Scipio and Luccius as something of older brother figures, ones he held deep respect and admiration for. The three would spend alot of time training when not on duty, known by the older soldiers as 'the three hatchlings' for their potential as Roman soldiers, soon to soar under the banner of the undying empire.

But as the next generation in the West took shape, the East's next generation was already having to step up. Arcadius' position as emperor was tenuous.

For the first time since the split of 395, the Eastern Roman Emperor was regarded as the Junior partner of the Roman empire. Though he ruled over the wealthier, more prosperous half, Majorian was by far the more respected Emperor, an experienced veteran that had lead the Western Empire back from the brink of annihilation, in constract to what was seen by many as a sickly child, and Arcadius knew this.

He also realised this made his position more attainable to those who coveted his position, particularly his brother in law Zeno and the supposed puppetmaster Aspar and his son Patricius. This left his on guard, cautious of assassination attempts, especially in regard to poisoning, as his sickly nature make it all too easy to make a poisoning look like natural causes.

It was always a balancing act for Arcadius, trying not to make himself look like to much of a threat in order to keep his rivals from acting directly, whilst working to undermine their power bases. As the grandson of the original Anthemius, the current Anthemius was both loyal and competent, something rare in Roman politics.

Not only was Anthemius a loyal and powerful soldier, but his son Marcian was also a close friend of the emperor, or at least, as close as one could get.

But Arcadius knew he couldn't rely on only Anthemius as a support base. As such he raised Anastasius, a civil servant, and Heraclius of Edessa, a well regarded general already with Anthemius' inner circle to high rank within Arcadius' court. It served to buoy his power, his growing power base serving as a temporary shield against his rivals.

But Arcadius knew that war with at least one of them was inevitable, and that would not even be the worst that Arcadius would have to face.

A storm gathered, and a beast began to rouse from it's slumber. Though wounded by battles like the Catalaunian Plains and Nedao, it was not yet dead. In 475, the last Attila's sons, Ernak, would pass. Quickly establishing control, Karaton was a ruthless and ambitious man set on restoring the Hunnic empire to the heights it had under Attila.

By what ever means necessary.

The nightmares of Rome had only gotten started, and the clock grew close to midnight.

A/N: Hello everyone, hope you enjoyed this Chapter. It was both interesting, and a bit painful to write this Chapter. Not the most painful (that would still be the third part of the War of 471) but painful nonetheless. But hey, the stage has been set for the next phase of Roman history to begin. Majorian's story is not much longer, it will be done by Chapter 70 at the longest, but there is still so much more of the story yet to come. See you next Chapter!

Last edited:
A storm gathered, and a beast began to rouse from it's slumber. Though wounded by battles like the Catalaunian Plains and Nedao, it was not yet dead. In 475, the last Attila's sons, Ernak, would pass. Quickly establishing control, Karaton was a ruthless and ambitious man set on restoring the Hunnic empire to the heights it had under Attila.

By what ever means necessary.

The nightmares of Rome had only gotten started, and the clock grew close to midnight.
At this rate, I fully expect the next King of Kings ITTL is an ambitious bastard who wants to conquer Egypt and Syria, especially with both Ballio Luccuis and Karaton in mind.

As such he raised Anastasius, a civil servant, and Heraclius of Edessa, a well regarded general already with Anthemius' inner circle to high rank within Arcadius' court. It served to buoy his power, his growing power base serving as a temporary shield against his rivals.
Considering he was a Miaphysite IOTL, we could have a potential thing the Emperors need to deal with in the future be the divide between the Miaphysites and Chalcedonians that IOTL was a big issue for the Roman Empire in this time period.