Rollerball 2018

In the comic Tomorrow Knights (Marvel Comics/ Epic) and Gilgamesh II (DC Comics) the corporate -controlled came as a result of multinational corporations conducting a coup in the Soviet Union and the United States, similar to the 1934 Business Plot, where they were opposed to the a war which would destroy humanity, and overthrew the governments as a way to save humanity. What if something along these lines took place in 1962 or in 1983?

Well, the original film and the original short story by William Harrison mentioned the Corporate Wars in the 1980s or 90s which resulted in the rise of the Three Megacorps and then the Corporations such as Energy, Transport, Luxury, and others. Jonathan E's friend, Cletus, says in one scene when the wars are mentioned "They were naaaasty!". Cletus also likes talking about the good old days, saying things like " I'm so old I still remember the NFL and World Cup!".

Deleted member 82792

Well, the original film and the original short story by William Harrison mentioned the Corporate Wars in the 1980s or 90s which resulted in the rise of the Three Megacorps and then the Corporations such as Energy, Transport, Luxury, and others. Jonathan E's friend, Cletus, says in one scene when the wars are mentioned "They were naaaasty!". Cletus also likes talking about the good old days, saying things like " I'm so old I still remember the NFL and World Cup!".
Reminds me of Mutant Chronicles.

Geon

Donor
Based on the bits and pieces of history we are given in the novel and the first movie (I haven't seen the second). Here is my take on what happens.

In the late 1970's possibly the early 80's The Great Asian War occurs. Apparently a very aggressive China along with several other Asian nations in alliance starts a war with the west. The war causes a major economic disruption. The world economic collapse causes most of the major nations to implode. The mega-corporations are the only entities left able to provide the necessities of life as governments prove totally ineffectual.

The mega-corporations begin open warfare among themselves to gain resources. Hence the Corporate Wars. Some corporations are absorbed by others. Eventually the most powerful survivors meet and agree to parcel out the various needs of the world into simple conglomerates of corporations: Food, Energy, etc.

Rollerball is developed as a means to keep the population passive by providing a form of bloody entertainment. (Think the bread and circuses of ancient Rome)

Well said, Geon. In OTL, you have corporations owning all of these arenas and stadiums too. I have always felt that one inspiration for the film and Harrison's short story is the rise and growing influence of OPEC and multinational corporations in the early 1970s.

Last edited:
As far as I can, the Energy Corporation sponsors the Houston team. Tokyo is sponsored by Luxury, Madrid by Food, and New York City by Transport. These four teams are seen in the film. No idea on other teams and which corporation sponsors which. Also, instead of the Star Spangled Banner, we hear the Energy corporate anthem and the Tokyo has a very serene Luxury corporate hymn in place of Kimigayo.

W1gjMhL.jpg

3e8aea7a83ad3d4de8654c728316c386.jpg

6ohN8MA.jpg

Also in the film, there is something called "multivision", which consists of one big-screen tv monitor with three smaller ones above it. Any thoughts?

Also in the film, there is something called "multivision", which consists of one big-screen tv monitor with three smaller ones above it. Any thoughts?
I remember that, I'm surprised we don't have that today but then we do have multi-screen.

Who not know movie Rollerball from 1975
It's one of Best Sci-Fi Movies

Live is stranger as Fiction
After Rollerball came in Cinema, the Producer and Director Norman Jewison was contacted multiple times by promoters requesting the "rights to the game" be sold so that real rollerball leagues might be formed.
Norman Jewison was outraged, as the entire point of the movie was to show the "sickness and insanity of contact sports and their allure."

Any ideas for more cities/team names?
One could use all the major cities one wants, Berlin, Los Angeles, Rome, Peking, Saigon, Leningrad, Cairo and many more cities from all over the world,kind of like the World Football league, although I still call it soccer. :p