Role of Protestantism in the Industrial Revolution and modern capitalism

I have seen numerous mentions of "Protestant work ethic" and so on throughout the years as being a major factor in the eventual rise of the West as an industrial and an economic power. However, how much of it do you think was really influenced by Protestant doctrines and the multitude thereof (especially in the US), and how much of it do you think was just a result of natural trends/development in Western Europe and proto-US?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are. This is not a period of history I am very knowledgeable about, so any insight from those better versed in it than myself would be interesting to see.

I have seen numerous mentions of "Protestant work ethic" and so on throughout the years as being a major factor in the eventual rise of the West as an industrial and an economic power. However, how much of it do you think was really influenced by Protestant doctrines and the multitude thereof (especially in the US), and how much of it do you think was just a result of natural trends/development in Western Europe and proto-US?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are. This is not a period of history I am very knowledgeable about, so any insight from those better versed in it than myself would be interesting to see.

I think there is a certain correlation, and the mechanism could be the belief in success through good works as a sign of grace, which is a fairly unique belief.

My own opinion is that its no coincidence that the 'Protestant work ethic' was originally idealised, and today almost exclusively defended by, Protestant thinkers

I highly recommend reading God and Gold: Britain, America, and the Making of the Modern World by Walter Russell Mead. It is a really interesting historical analysis that will answer your question. It really covers so many points and interests that I have a very hard time quantifying it.

An interesting point made is that the Catholic World concentrated upon the Life Here After, one's Heavenly reward following a pious life on earth - so change was not promoted. While the Protestant World (ie. the Netherlands and Britain) concentrated upon the Here And Now with one's reward in Heaven reflecting one's accomplishments in life.