Right Wing Countercultures?

They are. They wanted to control local politics, so they shipped in tens of thousands of homeless people from all over the country and put them up in barracks. Then, they gave them haldol-laced beers to keep them docile and bussed them in to get registered as voters. As another way to drive down voter participation, they also sprayed botulism and salmonella on local salad bars to scare people and make them stay home.

There's a documentary called Wild Wild Country on netflix that goes over all this. I think it's rather too nice to the Rajneeshi, but otherwise accurately depicts the way they terrorized my state back in the 80's. Even today, Oregon's urban areas have a huge homeless problem that descends from the critical mass shipped in by the Rajneeshi, then callously abandoned when their voter-registration plan failed.
At least they didn't kill anyone, they sound like a more incompetent version of Aum Shinrikyo. This could've otherwise gone down in a history as a precursor to the weird suicide cults of the '90s like Heaven's Gate.

What about neo-pagans? Aren't some of them nationalist and fascist? Also when I say counterculture I mean a youth movement and one as active socially and politically as the hippie movement in the 60s.

What about neo-pagans? Aren't some of them nationalist and fascist? Also when I say counterculture I mean a youth movement and one as active socially and politically as the hippie movement in the 60s.

I doubt it. Most neo-pagans are either not really authentic and thus not really right wing (like most Wiccan types) or are generally centrist and non-political (like many Asatru). Some more racist neo-pagans, be they Germanic or the Rodnover types, are definitely a thing (but it seems a lot of Europe has many right wing neopagans, from Italy to Spain to Finland, even though many of these groups will note that you don't need to hold to any particular political position to believe in Jupiter, Ukko, etc.). There are left-wing neopagans too. Traditional religionists in parts of Russia (like the Mari) who have a traditional religion which is persecuted in Putin's Russia, can be classified in this. Modern Zoroastrian revival in Kurdistan and Iran (which seems very nationalist, and some Persians/Kurds have much admiration for Zoroastrianism) seems left-wing in orientation. Same with the more marginal Canaanite revival in Israel (interesting article here), Palestine, and Lebanon. Some sort of neopaganism in Egypt could unite Coptic and Muslim Egyptians, but given the society, this would be counter to the dominant Muslim society there.

One visible right-wing neo-pagan is the infamous Varg Vikernes (vandal of ancient churches, murderer, etc.), who criticises Christianity as a "Jewish influence" on Europe. Varg Vikernes has made great/influential music, but his political views are pretty ridiculous, and his image in the past few years is basically that of a pretentious hobo.

Would Islamic extremists count as counterculture depending on the country? It is a youthful movement but unlike a counterculture it can be argued some regions support extreme or orthodox beliefs at least in some regards?

Zwinglian

Banned
unlike a counterculture it can be argued some regions support extreme or orthodox beliefs at least in some regards?
It being extreme doesn’t make it not counterculture, most counterculture is more extreme. Orthodoxy can be countercultural if the mainstream culture is liberal or unorthodox.

The internet has an effect of fragmenting a unified popular culture into separate subcultures. It's much harder to talk about a common 2010s culture than it is to talk about '50s or '80s culture. Youth culture used to move in slower cycles based on what record labels, fashion companies, and advertisers thought was popular.

Nowadays subcultures and trends can rise in fall in months, way too short of a timespan for advertisers to exploit. Meme culture especially, is an example of how the internet has decoupled and accelerated trends from big business. Most memes get stale after a month or so, and vapor wave rose and fell in less than a year or so.

There's a false type of internet politics now too that's more about a circle of youtubers or other parts of the internet and totally divorced from the IRL party system and electoral politics. New Atheism was a thing in the early 2010s, then atheist vs christian arguments burned out and got replace by the skeptic/anti-SJW youtube subculture. By the time the 2020 election rolls around, the anti-SJW subculture will probably fall apart and we'll have a new constellation of political youtube subcultures.

Last edited:
it must be clearly right wing in other regards like nationalism or military beliefs

I was going to suggest Linux fans - of the libertarian variety - but it's hard to pin them down to a traditional left-right axis. They tend to be pro-business, or at least pro-capital, pro-ownership of capital, but the open source movement has parallels with utopian communism, and yet it exists so that trinket shops can more easily set up internet shopping portals. I suspect a world run by Linux fans would be totalitarian but neither left nor right; internationalist, but anglocentric, with absolutist views on crime (drugs legal; death penalty for almost everything else) and healthcare (don't get sick) and women's rights (women do not exist ergo they cannot have rights).

Could Linux fans take over the world? Huge chunks of the internet run on Linux and it only takes one man with technical know-how to do a lot of havoc, albeit that the same is true of one angry engineer with a digging machine or a chainsaw, but as with all IT / internet subcultures Linux fans are scattered widely across the world and have an unappealing set of evangelists, so they aren't ever likely to have mass appeal. They could rain bombs from the sky but not hold territory, to use a military metaphor.

I suppose you have to draw a distinction between subcultures that have a right-wing aspect, or that would be naturally aligned with the right wing, and subcultures that are explicitly right-wing. The entire Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency subculture is pro-capital and in that respect right-wing - I'm willing to bet that 99% of the members are young men who don't give a toss about universal healthcare or human rights, they just want money - but the same could probably be said of custom car enthusiasts, home AV enthusiasts, RC drone collectors, anything that involves men who are comfortable with having money. Are those groups likely to plant bombs on the London Underground? Probably not, although they have the means. I should really not post when I'm half-asleep.

And with that, the thread comes to an end. Goodbye.

Last edited:
I wonder if, if the right-wing starts leaning more libertarian early on in the 20th century, you could get a right-wing libertarian version of the hippie movement.

I was going to suggest Linux fans - of the libertarian variety - but it's hard to pin them down to a traditional left-right axis. They tend to be pro-business, or at least pro-capital, pro-ownership of capital, but the open source movement has parallels with utopian communism, and yet it exists so that trinket shops can more easily set up internet shopping portals. I suspect a world run by Linux fans would be totalitarian but neither left nor right; internationalist, but anglocentric, with absolutist views on crime (drugs legal; death penalty for almost everything else) and healthcare (don't get sick) and women's rights (women do not exist ergo they cannot have rights).

Could Linux fans take over the world? Huge chunks of the internet run on Linux and it only takes one man with technical know-how to do a lot of havoc, albeit that the same is true of one angry engineer with a digging machine or a chainsaw, but as with all IT / internet subcultures Linux fans are scattered widely across the world and have an unappealing set of evangelists, so they aren't ever likely to have mass appeal. They could rain bombs from the sky but not hold territory, to use a military metaphor.

I suppose you have to draw a distinction between subcultures that have a right-wing aspect, or that would be naturally aligned with the right wing, and subcultures that are explicitly right-wing. The entire Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency subculture is pro-capital and in that respect right-wing - I'm willing to bet that 99% of the members are young men who don't give a toss about universal healthcare or human rights, they just want money - but the same could probably be said of custom car enthusiasts, home AV enthusiasts, RC drone collectors, anything that involves men who are comfortable with having money. Are those groups likely to plant bombs on the London Underground? Probably not, although they have the means. I should really not post when I'm half-asleep.

And with that, the thread comes to an end. Goodbye.
What.

In my experience at least your average open-source advocate isn't Eric Raymond.

I wonder if, if the right-wing starts leaning more libertarian early on in the 20th century, you could get a right-wing libertarian version of the hippie movement.

The thing is, as long as you are in "Cold War Mode" with the Soviets being indisputably the Leftist of the two, the primary US culture is going to be seen as the Right Wing in context. If you can oppose it and be construed as in the left you will be

Honestly, all you would have to do would be to have the left wing become dominant for a long time. If any culture is dominant for long enough, a counter culture will spring up to oppose it. That’s just human nature.

Outside movements that are primarily religious or nationalist in nature, possibly something like the more conservative elements of the Green movement that exist (Green Conservatism).

There are people and political parties that have emphasized conservation and sustainability, more on conservative grounds that people should not be excessive. Some people emphasize religious beliefs that mankind "was given dominion over the earth" (from Genesis) and thus also has responsibility for it.

There are Agrarian Green parties that emphasize the benefits of rural living, and support for farmers. This could feasibly be merged with some elements of the "back to the land" movement, which encouraged people in cities to move back to rural areas or was sometimes held up as a partial solution to poverty in urban areas.

Could a right wing counterculture develop anywhere in the world especially within the west? Maybe something like the Volkisch or neo-pagans. The group can be secular or even anti-religion but if it is it must be clearly right wing in other regards like nationalism or military beliefs. It can also be a religious movement. Personally, I think the must likely right wing Counterculture is something that is like the Volkisch movements which I can see thriving in a few alternate histories. One being a kaiserreich that either avoids or wins the war. In this case I see them being anti-monarch, supporters of a republic(right wing one or military run government), anti-Christian, non-religious or neo-pagan religiously, and far right on everything else with maybe the exception of women's rights(I could see this going either way or being a divide within the group). In this case I see many young Germans belief in "German Exceptionism" and romantic nationalism being greatly inflated especially if they win ww1 quickly and without much cost. A other possibility is a similar culture to this develops in Germany in the 30s without the Nazis taking complete power. Other one could be a right wing counterculture in Ireland or what about one in the United States?

Thoughts and Ideas?
Cristeros in Mexico consisted to a good part of rural Mexican youth.

Could a right wing counterculture develop anywhere in the world especially within the west? Maybe something like the Volkisch or neo-pagans. The group can be secular or even anti-religion but if it is it must be clearly right wing in other regards like nationalism or military beliefs. It can also be a religious movement. Personally, I think the must likely right wing Counterculture is something that is like the Volkisch movements which I can see thriving in a few alternate histories. One being a kaiserreich that either avoids or wins the war. In this case I see them being anti-monarch, supporters of a republic(right wing one or military run government), anti-Christian, non-religious or neo-pagan religiously, and far right on everything else with maybe the exception of women's rights(I could see this going either way or being a divide within the group). In this case I see many young Germans belief in "German Exceptionism" and romantic nationalism being greatly inflated especially if they win ww1 quickly and without much cost. A other possibility is a similar culture to this develops in Germany in the 30s without the Nazis taking complete power. Other one could be a right wing counterculture in Ireland or what about one in the United States?

Thoughts and Ideas?
The Kaiserreich had many independent Youth organisations , which had been right winged Nationalistic (and Antisemitic) but also socially progressive and kind of esoteric. Their goal was to embrace nature and do free time activities outside their Bourgouise homes. There even had been an esoteric German nudist community in the Pacific that failed. During Weimar until after the Nazi takeover there were many of these Clubs. The Nazi's cracked down on them Düring their ,Gleichschaltung' of the Society. They alone wanted to control Youth through Hitler Youth.

The Kaiserreich had many independent Youth organisations , which had been right winged Nationalistic (and Antisemitic) but also socially progressive and kind of esoteric. Their goal was to embrace nature and do free time activities outside their Bourgouise homes. There even had been an esoteric German nudist community in the Pacific that failed. During Weimar until after the Nazi takeover there were many of these Clubs. The Nazi's cracked down on them Düring their ,Gleichschaltung' of the Society. They alone wanted to control Youth through Hitler Youth.
Wasn’t the Nazis pretty youthful themselves? They seemed more dominated by a younger generation of right wing radicals while the older generations and traditional right wingers seemed more iffy on them.

Outside movements that are primarily religious or nationalist in nature, possibly something like the more conservative elements of the Green movement that exist (Green Conservatism).

There are people and political parties that have emphasized conservation and sustainability, more on conservative grounds that people should not be excessive. Some people emphasize religious beliefs that mankind "was given dominion over the earth" (from Genesis) and thus also has responsibility for it.

There are Agrarian Green parties that emphasize the benefits of rural living, and support for farmers. This could feasibly be merged with some elements of the "back to the land" movement, which encouraged people in cities to move back to rural areas or was sometimes held up as a partial solution to poverty in urban areas.
I could see that taken root in the United States especially in Appalachia and the south. Maybe even among the black religious community too.

Wasn’t the Nazis pretty youthful themselves? They seemed more dominated by a younger generation of right wing radicals while the older generations and traditional right wingers seemed more iffy on them.
Yes, they even specifically targeted young University students early on and Had beendet popular within Universities and academics. The other Youth groups mI mentioned additionally existed until their lforced Infooperation into Hitler Youth.