Rifled arrows?

flaja

Banned
I understand that when spiral grooves are cut into the inside of gun barrel the bullet is spinning like a planet on its axis when it leaves the muzzle. This gives the gun greater accuracy.

Could you cut a spiral groove in an arrow and thus give an archer greater accuracy?

I understand that when spiral grooves are cut into the inside of gun barrel the bullet is spinning like a planet on its axis when it leaves the muzzle. This gives the gun greater accuracy.

Could you cut a spiral groove in an arrow and thus give an archer greater accuracy?

An arrow isn't shot out of a cylinder so I doubt it would make any difference.

BTW, the Times New Roman font looks great.

Actually some people made the fletchings (feathers on the end) in a spiral pattern precisely to make it rotate and improve accuracy.

Hmmm... the actual scheme the newb has proposed to get the arrow rotating sounds unlikely to work... but the principle behind it should.

Of cause, to get such a system working effectively it may be necessary to remove the flights from the arrow... which would decrease accuracy. So it's a question of if the accuracy you gain from setting the arrow spinning is greater than the accuracy lost by removing the flights.

Hmmm... the actual scheme the newb has proposed to get the arrow rotating sounds unlikely to work... but the principle behind it should.

Of cause, to get such a system working effectively it may be necessary to remove the flights from the arrow... which would decrease accuracy. So it's a question of if the accuracy you gain from setting the arrow spinning is greater than the accuracy lost by removing the flights.

But without the fletchings how would you get the arrow to spin at all? And then there's the problem that it oscillates in flight.

But without the fletchings how would you get the arrow to spin at all? And then there's the problem that it oscillates in flight.
I assuming that the newbie's proposed rifling system (as far as I can gather rifle the arrow, somewhere on the bow have a projection the fits into the rifling, fire arrow and hope things work) was applied... of cause it is probably much simpler and less expensive ('rifling' each arrow would be costly...) just to stick with fletchings.

FYI: Spin stabilization doesn't work after a certain length to diameter ratio, so rifling an arrow would be useless. The fins stabilize the arrow plenty.

Hapsburg

Banned
An arrow isn't shot out of a cylinder so I doubt it would make any difference.
Maybe he meant crossbows? Nah...that still wouldn't work, unless you had the crossbow fire it from a cylinder. But, wait, how would that work in a more efficiently than a regular bow or crossbow?

BTW, the Times New Roman font looks great.
:confused: That's Courier.

Arrows occasionally come with slanted fletching and the sales spin is that it stabilises them in flight, but I doubt it does any good. Crossbow bolts, on the other hand, can be spin-stabilised easily and we know that some later medieval examples had slanted fletchings that did exactly that. What we do not know is whether the effect was understood. It seems likely - some scholars assume the term for a particularly long-range war quarrel denotes this slanted fletching. And it would explain why rifling was tried out in guns with in the late 1400s.

I believe that in Kyudo arrows are generally made to spin (with fins). In fact, in a 'competition' one fires one arrow spinning clockwise and one spinning counter-clockwise. I don't know wether this improves accuracy though...

Some javelins had a leather cord attached to the end. The cord was wrapped around the javelin slightly and looped onto the thumb of the hand which held and threw the javelin.

This cord gave two advantages:
one - it acted like an atlatl and increased the power of the throw,
two - when the cord unwrapped during the throw it caused the javelin to spin, much like riffling causes a bullet to spin.