Richard of Gloucester predeceases Edward IV

Is not guaranteed who Margaret Beaufort would pick Margaret of Clarence for her son. Still the Clarence kids would be excluded by the succession of throne

Henry after his return is an adult man, he can pick his wife on his own. I don't know. Ed V was reported to have some health problems and Edward of Gloucester (Middleham) won't probably survive past his OTL death date. Ed V was an intelligent kid and probably won't risk the end of his dynasty with his brother, so I think after death of TTL's Edward of Gloucester, Edward, earl of Warwick would be reinstated to succesion.

Henry after his return is an adult man, he can pick his wife on his own. I don't know. Ed V was reported to have some health problems and Edward of Gloucester (Middleham) won't probably survive past his OTL death date. Ed V was an intelligent kid and probably won't risk the end of his dynasty with his brother, so I think after death of TTL's Edward of Gloucester, Edward, earl of Warwick would be reinstated to succesion.
With the precedents in the family that is pretty unlikely... plus the next-in-line after Richard of Shrewsbury is Elizabeth if York, followed by Cecily, Anne, Catherine and Bridget, not Edward of Middleham or Edward of Warwick. ENGLAND NEVER APPLIED SALIC LAW!!!!

With the precedents in the family that is pretty unlikely... plus the next-in-line after Richard of Shrewsbury is Elizabeth if York, followed by Cecily, Anne, Catherine and Bridget, not Edward of Middleham or Edward of Warwick. ENGLAND NEVER APPLIED SALIC LAW!!!!

What is pretty unlikely? Ed V still dying early/having serious health problems or him restoring Edward of Warwick to succesion line? England never applied any written law prior to 1707 and earlier attempts to bring it (Edward's III entail and York's declaration of deposition of Henry VI) were contradictory. Would Ed V happily accept end of his dynasty after his brother childless death (and if Middleham dies as IOTL and he himself has health problems, he'd at least consider this as a possibility).

What is pretty unlikely? Ed V still dying early/having serious health problems or him restoring Edward of Warwick to succesion line? England never applied any written law prior to 1707 and earlier attempts to bring it (Edward's III entail and York's declaration of deposition of Henry VI) were contradictory. Would Ed V happily accept end of his dynasty after his brother childless death (and if Middleham dies as IOTL and he himself has health problems, he'd at least consider this as a possibility).
Edward V restoring Warwick to the succession. England NEVER applied Salic law... And any line of succession would include Elizabeth and her sisters after Edward V and Richard and BEFORE the other two Edward.

Edward V restoring Warwick to the succession. England NEVER applied Salic law... And any line of succession would include Elizabeth and her sisters after Edward V and Richard and BEFORE the other two Edward.

As I said before, they never applied any written law before 1707. And at least some of the attempts to do it (Edward III's entail) were in Salic-esque fashion. Best English lawyer at that time, John Fortescue also opted for Salic-esque succesion and Edward V was reported to be intelligent and taking great like to books, so he'd probably concern himself with opinion of lawyers.

As I said before, they never applied any written law before 1707. And at least some of the attempts to do it (Edward III's entail) were in Salic-esque fashion. Best English lawyer at that time, John Fortescue also opted for Salic-esque succesion and Edward V was reported to be intelligent and taking great like to books, so he'd probably concern himself with opinion of lawyers.
Absolutely wrong. Edward III‘s entail had NOTHING to do with Salic law, but was based more on blood proximity over simple male preference primogeniture and excluded ONLY Philippa from the succession as granddaughter of the King through a son died before his father

Absolutely wrong. Edward III‘s entail had NOTHING to do with Salic law, but was based more on blood proximity over simple male preference primogeniture and excluded ONLY Philippa from the succession as granddaughter of the King through a son died before his father

Michael Bennett here disagrees with you, claiming that Edward III entailed the throne in tail male line of his sons - Edward of Woodstock, John of Gaunt and Edmund of Langley (male line of Lionel of Clarence died with Lionel himself prior to the entail).

Michael Bennett here disagrees with you, claiming that Edward III entailed the throne in tail male line of his sons - Edward of Woodstock, John of Gaunt and Edmund of Langley (male line of Lionel of Clarence died with Lionel himself prior to the entail).
It's more that the male lines were ordered before all the female ones. The female lines weren't excluded as per agnatic succession (falsely called Salic after the French modified the Salic Law). It's unclear how the female lines were supposed to be ordered if indeed they were meant to - the same order as Edward's sons? Or proximity to the throne?
Male preference cognatic primogeniture just becomes easier to follow after a while.

It's more that the male lines were ordered before all the female ones. The female lines weren't excluded as per agnatic succession (falsely called Salic after the French modified the Salic Law). It's unclear how the female lines were supposed to be ordered if indeed they were meant to - the same order as Edward's sons? Or proximity to the throne?
Male preference cognatic primogeniture just becomes easier to follow after a while.

Yeah, it becomes easier but some lawyers argued for semi-agnatic succesion in XVth century England and surviving Edward V, being a bookish kid would at least take their opinion under consideration.

Yeah, it becomes easier but some lawyers argued for semi-agnatic succesion in XVth century England and surviving Edward V, being a bookish kid would at least take their opinion under consideration.
Some is not the same as most or all, nor proof that Edward V would support it.

Your argument appeared to be suggesting that so apologies if you're not arguing for Edward setting that up.

No, no I meant that he'd treat this argumentation seriously but no way I was convinced that he'd agree with it. And regarding Edward V - would the original plan of him marrying Anne of Brittany go on?

No, no I meant that he'd treat this argumentation seriously but no way I was convinced that he'd agree with it. And regarding Edward V - would the original plan of him marrying Anne of Brittany go on?
Pretty likely as is unlikely either of them will find a better match

Pretty likely as is unlikely either of them will find a better match

Ok so Edward V would marry Anne of Brittany, which would make match between dauphin Charles and Elisabeth of York out of the question, wouldn't it? If so, could Philip the Handsome marry Elisabeth of York (I'd suggest Richard of York marrying Margaret of Burgundy, but Maximilian wouldn't betroth his daughter to a mere second son).

Ok so Edward V would marry Anne of Brittany, which would make match between dauphin Charles and Elisabeth of York out of the question, wouldn't it? If so, could Philip the Handsome marry Elisabeth of York (I'd suggest Richard of York marrying Margaret of Burgundy, but Maximilian wouldn't betroth his daughter to a mere second son).
Wouldn't a dauphin marriage be more likely?
If only as a way the French king offsets the Brittany match?

Philip could eventually marry a York princess, but Elizabeth is twelve years older than him, she won't be considered. Anne of York was the one originally proposed to him.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a dauphin marriage be more likely?
If only as a way the French king offsets the Brittany match?

I imagine that French court would consider Britanny match as a offense, but if not and Charles VIII married Elizabeth of York, than Philip could marry one of her younger sisters, ensuring Anglo-French-Burgundian peace.

So you think that in event of Anne's brother being still king Philip would marry her?
Probably, since it was Edward dying and his daughters being declared bastards got in the way of the marriage. As to Elizabeth, she can marry either Emperor Maximilian or maybe John II of Portugal.