Richard III wins at Bosworth - what happens to Edward IV's daughters with Elizabeth Woodville?

Posting because I cannot find any threads specifically addressing this subject. Anyways, like it says on the tin...Richard III wins the battle of Bosworth Field against Henry Tudor, who is killed in the course of the battle. What happens to Edward IV's daughters with Elizabeth Woodville? Obviously a reversal of the Titulus regis is not on the table but what kind of future could they expect? Marriages? The convent?

Posting because I cannot find any threads specifically addressing this subject. Anyways, like it says on the tin...Richard III wins the battle of Bosworth Field against Henry Tudor, who is killed in the course of the battle. What happens to Edward IV's daughters with Elizabeth Woodville? Obviously a reversal of the Titulus regis is not on the table but what kind of future could they expect? Marriages? The convent?

Anne of York would probably still marry Thomas Howard as she was promised to him by Richard, Richard might've married Elizabeth himself in Iberian fashion, and for the rest....idk.

Anne of York would probably still marry Thomas Howard as she was promised to him by Richard, Richard might've married Elizabeth himself in Iberian fashion, and for the rest....idk.
Richard would most definitely not marry Elizabeth. In my idea, Richard's double match with Portugal goes through and Elizabeth of York is Queen of Portugal by 1500. Richard himself marries Infanta Joan (do not imagine that her father and brother wouldn't force her to marry). Anne can very well marry Howard and, actually, Cecily is already married to Ralph Scrope by the time of Bosworth. Catherine is really the only unknown, as Bridget is already destined for a religious life.

Marrying them off to loyalists (and perhaps ones of relatively humble status) seems likely, as happened with Cecily.

Richard would most definitely not marry Elizabeth. In my idea, Richard's double match with Portugal goes through and Elizabeth of York is Queen of Portugal by 1500. Richard himself marries Infanta Joan (do not imagine that her father and brother wouldn't force her to marry). Anne can very well marry Howard and, actually, Cecily is already married to Ralph Scrope by the time of Bosworth. Catherine is really the only unknown, as Bridget is already destined for a religious life.
Infanta Joanna was against marrying and her father was against forcing her but now the King is her brother who has only one child and likely little hope for another so would be inclined to pressure her to marry Richard III.
Elizabeth would marry Manuel and eventually become Queen of Portugal (unless Richard and Joanna had children), Cecily was already married and Anne engaged to Howard. Bridget was destined to the convent and Catherine would most likely made a wedding similar to Anne’s (so married at least to the heir of an Earl, close supporter of Richard III)

Marrying them off to loyalists (and perhaps ones of relatively humble status) seems likely, as happened with Cecily.
That was only Cecily’s destiny. Anne was engaged much higher and Catherine would likely be married at a similar level. Elizabeth was destined to a political match (who would be useless for a princess but much useful in her situation)

NO. He will not marry his bastard neice

He'll marry Joanna of Portugal.

I believe it'll work somewhat like this:
Edward IV m. Elizabeth Woodville ( surviving daughters only)

A) Elizabeth of York m. Manuel, Duke of Beja/Manuel I of Portugal.

B) Cecily of York m. Ralph Scrope, 9th Baron Scrope of Masham

C) Anne of York m. Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk.

D) Catherine of York m. William de la Pole (?)

E) Bridget of York becomes a nun

And @BlueFlowwer

Last edited:
NO. He will not marry his bastard neice

He'll marry Joanna of Portugal.

I believe it'll work somewhat like this:
Edward IV m. Elizabeth Woodville ( surviving daughters only)

A) Elizabeth of York m. Manuel, Duke of Beja/Manuel I of Portugal.

B) Cecily of York m. John Welles, 1st Viscount Welles

C) Anne of York m. Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk.

D) Catherine of York m. William de la Pole (?)

And @BlueFlowwer
You think that accusations that he wanted to do exactly that are slander?
Yes, as he was already talking for a double wedding in Portugal for himself and Elizabeth BEFORE Anne Neville’s effective death.

Cecily was already married to Ralph Scrope and would remain married to him here
Anne and Howard match is guaranteed but I can not see Catherine marrying a cousin.
I guess who the de la Pole girls would marry very high (Anne de la Pole was offered for James IV of Scotland and likely would be accepted here, Elizabeth de la Pole would likely end in Brittany if Francis II had time to remarry after being widowed and Catherine de la Pole also would get a match to a ruler).
Catherine of York would be married like Anne, to the heir of a noble in the inner circle of Richard III

Yes, as he was already talking for a double wedding in Portugal for himself and Elizabeth BEFORE Anne Neville’s effective death.

Cecily was already married to Ralph Scrope and would remain married to him here
Anne and Howard match is guaranteed but I can not see Catherine marrying a cousin.
I guess who the de la Pole girls would marry very high (Anne de la Pole was offered for James IV of Scotland and likely would be accepted here, Elizabeth de la Pole would likely end in Brittany if Francis II had time to remarry after being widowed and Catherine de la Pole also would get a match to a ruler).
Catherine of York would be married like Anne, to the heir of a noble in the inner circle of Richard III
Yes, I've edited that.

I agree

Who exactly would you suggest for Catherine? Perhaps the 11th Earl of Arundel? He's a noble from a respected family, andhis father was at Ric III's coronation, so he'd probably be on good terms with him, unless I'm missing something.

Yes, I've edited that.

I agree

Who exactly would you suggest for Catherine? Perhaps the 11th Earl of Arundel? He's a noble from a respected family, andhis father was at Ric III's coronation, so he'd probably be on good terms with him, unless I'm missing something.
That is the trouble for Catherine. I have no idea of who can be seen as close supporter of Richard III and close enough to him to get Catehrine for his heir (maybe she can marry the 5th Earl of Northumberland or the 11th Earl of Arundel, I guess)

That is the trouble for Catherine. I have no idea of who can be seen as close supporter of Richard III and close enough to him to get Catehrine for his heir (maybe she can marry the 5th Earl of Northumberland or the 11th Earl of Arundel, I guess)
Northumberland probably is no-go due to his father's indecision at Bosworth.

Northumberland probably is no-go due to his father's indecision at Bosworth.
Well if Richard won is likely who his father committed his troops on the battle (and his indecision is disputed as some historians believe who Northumberland’s men were simply unable to join the battle before Richard III’s death, for their placement behind the troops of the King. Northumberland had the command of the reserve and he was imprisoned by Henry VII, like Norfolk and Westmoreland so I think the latter hypothesis is pretty plausible for me)

Last edited: