Chapter I - Henry II
Rex Juvenis - An Angevin Timeline

“You would have been king of the noble and emperor of the brave, lord, if you had lived longer, for you had gained the name Young King; you were indeed the guide and father of youth. And hauberks and swords, and beautiful buckram, helmets and gonfalons, pourpoint and lappets and joy and love have nobody to maintain them or bring them back. They will follow you; like all mighty, honorable deeds, they will disappear with you.”
– Bertran de Born, Mon chan fenis ab dol et ab maltraire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Chapter I - Henry II

August 13th, 1170, La Motte-de-Ger, Normandy

Henry felt the splash of holy oil on his face. The priests around him began to mutter Latin prayers, and the King’s retinue joined them. They prayed for his soul, and begged for God to allow their King entry into heaven.

The Old King couldn’t help but let out a weak wheeze in laughter. Only a few weeks before he had been at the height of his power and health. All of Britain and France had bowed before him. Even the Church had relented in the face of his overwhelming pressure, and crowned Young Henry alongside him. Every challenger had crumbled in the face of his might, from Stephen to Louis, even the vile Becket had relented, accepting Henry's terms. Oh, how the tables had turned! Here he lay, weak and dying, unable to do anything but cough and sweat.

Henry reached out to the man standing closest to him, Richard l'Evêque, the Bishop of Avranches. The Bishop grasped Henry's hand firmly and stared at the dying monarch, eyes filled with both pain and anticipation. He likely expected to hear some grand and majestic last words from Henry, but none would come from the dying king. With the last piece of strength left in him, Henry spoke as loudly and clearly as his bone dry throat could manage.

“Bury me in Grandmont.” the dying king rattled. [1]

The anticipation in the Bishop’s eyes fizzled out, and for a short second he merely stood there, slightly disappointed. But his disappointment was soon replaced with deference towards the King and his last wish.

“Of course my King, we shall all see to it.” Richard replied, hanging his head low and kissing Henry’s ringed finger.

“Good, good.” Henry wheezed out, his voice barely audible even to himself.

It was the end for the Old King, and for his hopes of a grand continent-spanning realm. All he could do was hope that his sons could protect their inheritance, and that Young Henry would be able to resist the enemies that would challenge their house.

Henry II closed his eyes once more, eased into sleep by the hymns and prayers of those surrounding him. He would never wake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] In reference to Grandmont Abbey, near Limousin, France. Henry asked to be buried there when he fell sick, and was a major patron of the Abbey & the Grandmontine Order.

Welcome to Rex Juvenis! This timeline is my own take on the idea of “What if Henry II of England died early?”. OTL Henry II fell sick at La Motte-de-Ger (near Domfront, Normandy) in 1170, shortly after his son’s coronation as Junior King of England, and he came very close to dying, so the PoD here is him getting nudged just a bit into the grave. I hope you all enjoy it!

Last edited:
Very interesting POD. Here Henry will die without having done none of the things who would transform his sons and wife in enemies, meaning who he would be sincerely mourned by them and his sons would have the chance to rule their own lands as soon they reached the right age. Eleanor would keep control over her lands and influence on all her sons, Richard would marry his betrothed Alais of France and John would likely be sent in the Church as he would never be engaged to Alicia of Maurienne or any other heiress in this scenario

Henry will die without having done none of the things who would transform his sons and wife in enemies, meaning who he would be sincerely mourned by them and his sons would have the chance to rule their own lands as soon they reached the right age.
Yeah, it's basically the best case scenario for Henry and his succession plans. Not to mention this is also before Thomas Becket's martyrdom, so Henry's legacy is largely unsullied.

Richard would marry his betrothed Alais of France and John would likely be sent in the Church as he would never be engaged to Alicia of Maurienne or any other heiress in this scenario
Marriages are still very fickle. True Richard was lined up to marry Alys of France, but without Henry II there to strong arm the French, who's to say Louis VII would keep his end of the bargain? Especially after the humiliation that was Margaret's marriage to Henry the Young King.

As for John, he's still just three, so his future is still very much up to chance, and the choices Eleanor and Henry make.

Yeah, it's basically the best case scenario for Henry and his succession plans. Not to mention this is also before Thomas Becket's martyrdom, so Henry's legacy is largely unsullied.

Marriages are still very fickle. True Richard was lined up to marry Alys of France, but without Henry II there to strong arm the French, who's to say Louis VII would keep his end of the bargain? Especially after the humiliation that was Margaret's marriage to Henry the Young King.

As for John, he's still just three, so his future is still very much up to chance, and the choices Eleanor and Henry make.
The other advantage here is that, with Henry being crowned King Regnant, the English will have no reason to delay Margaret at Caen to keep her from his coronation, which will help Anglo-French relations, at least in the short term.

I could still see Geoffrey marrying Constance of Brittany, though, as a counterweight to Henry and Margaret, for when the English and the French inevitably do fall out.

If Henry and Margaret manage children here, and Richard only has to worry about Aquitaine, then I think a Castilian, Navarrese or Aragonese match is likely to secure the Duchy's southern border. There's his OTL wife, of course, but she is rather young. Personally, I prefer the following three candidates:

Sancha of Castile (b.1155) is only two years his senior and free until 1174.

Dulce of Aragon (b.1160) would also work but you'd have to be quick, she was promised to Portugal in 1171...

Douce II of Provence (b.1162) is another option if you want to go down the heiress route for Richard.

The other advantage here is that, with Henry being crowned King Regnant, the English will have no reason to delay Margaret at Caen to keep her from his coronation, which will help Anglo-French relations, at least in the short term.
That is true, but by this point I think Anglo-French relations are already in the drain. Louis VII has been seething about Angevin dominance for sometime, and with Henry dead and his heirs (mostly) children, he's gonna see a golden opportunity to dismantle his enemy's "Empire".

I could still see Geoffrey marrying Constance of Brittany, though, as a counterweight to Henry and Margaret, for when the English and the French inevitably do fall out.
The betrothal was already agreed to and Constance has already been installed as Duchess, so I don't really see a reason why it would be called off. Breton support is going to be crucial going forward.

If Henry and Margaret manage children here, and Richard only has to worry about Aquitaine, then I think a Castilian, Navarrese or Aragonese match is likely to secure the Duchy's southern border. There's his OTL wife, of course, but she is rather young. Personally, I prefer the following three candidates:

Sancha of Castile (b.1155) is only two years his senior and free until 1174.

Dulce of Aragon (b.1160) would also work but you'd have to be quick, she was promised to Portugal in 1171...

Douce II of Provence (b.1162) is another option if you want to go down the heiress route for Richard.
Thanks for the suggestions! A Castilian or Aragonese marriage would be good to help secure Gascony and stave off any Iberian claimants to the region. Honestly my first idea for Richard’s marriage was one of Frederick Barbarossa's daughters, but a Castilian match would be more diplomatically apt than a Staufer one, at least for Aquitaine.

Alys was already at the English (or Eleanor’s) court as she was sent there after the betrothal was signed so is pretty unlikely who the French King will found a way for interference (and really the Duke of Aquitaine is a good match for her)
I doubt who the Young King or better Henry III will be interested in promoting the interest of his youngest brother

That is true, but by this point I think Anglo-French relations are already in the drain. Louis VII has been seething about Angevin dominance for sometime, and with Henry dead and his heirs (mostly) children, he's gonna see a golden opportunity to dismantle his enemy's "Empire".
Louis VII had NOT the strength for making much about it so anything will need to wait for Philippe to reach adulthood, imho…
The betrothal was already agreed to and Constance has already been installed as Duchess, so I don't really see a reason why it would be called off. Breton support is going to be crucial going forward.

Thanks for the suggestions! A Castilian or Aragonese marriage would be good to help secure Gascony and stave off any Iberian claimants to the region. Honestly my first idea for Richard’s marriage was one of Frederick Barbarossa's daughters, but a Castilian match would be more diplomatically apt than a Staufer one, at least for Aquitaine.
They would be good ideas but sending back Alys (and renouncing to the lands of her dowry) would be a very bad idea, specially as France had already consigned both

Alys was already at the English (or Eleanor’s) court as she was sent there after the betrothal was signed so is pretty unlikely who the French King will found a way for interference (and really the Duke of Aquitaine is a good match for her)

They would be good ideas but sending back Alys (and renouncing to the lands of her dowry) would be a very bad idea, specially as France had already consigned both
Er. Margaret of Austria would like a word. Just because Alys is already in Aquitaine doesn't necessarily mean anything. The lands are a major issue, I agree, but I'm just saying it's not impossible.

Of course there's always the option of Alys dying before the match can be consummated and freeing Richard up that way.

Er. Margaret of Austria would like a word. Just because Alys is already in Aquitaine doesn't necessarily mean anything. The lands are a major issue, I agree, but I'm just saying it's not impossible.

Of course there's always the option of Alys dying before the match can be consummated and freeing Richard up that way.
Margaret of Austria was much later and she was sent back ONLY because another more strategical heiress became available…
Richard would have NO reason for sending back Alys who was an advantageous match for him

The thing is, Alys has no dowry. Since Margaret's marriage gave the English the Vexin, a critically important piece of land, the French weren't willing to give the English anything more. As such, in the 1169 marriage contract, HII & LVII agreed she would go without a dowry. Alys really brings nothing to the table for Richard, and her betrothal could pretty easily be repudiated.

Louis VII had NOT the strength for making much about it so anything will need to wait for Philippe to reach adulthood, imho…
LVII wasn't entirely a do-nothing King. He did stand up to Henry on a few occasions, and managed to halt the Angevin conquest of Tolouse. He may not be able to bring the strongest army to bear, but he's still a powerful figure, and would most certainly be emboldened by the ascension of Henry's minor children.

I doubt who the Young King or better Henry III will be interested in promoting the interest of his youngest brother
He's not a cutthroat, I don't really see any reason why he shouldn't. Not to mention HII's will both gives John the county of Mortain, and young Henry custody of John as well as asking for him to 'advance and maintain him'.

Richard and Sancha would be pretty interesting as a pair
I suppose Margaret's fertility will still be abysmal so Henry Jr will probably be succeeded by his brother anyway

The thing is, Alys has no dowry. Since Margaret's marriage gave the English the Vexin, a critically important piece of land, the French weren't willing to give the English anything more. As such, in the 1169 marriage contract, HII & LVII agreed she would go without a dowry. Alys really brings nothing to the table for Richard, and her betrothal could pretty easily be repudiated.
You are sure? I have read who Alys’ original dowry was the county of Berry

According to Matthew Strickland's book on Henry the Young King she didn't have one when she was betrothed in 1169.
Maybe or that was a mistake derived by the fact who after the Young King’s death she was supposed to bring again Vexin as dowry…
Yeah, but given Henry didn't die until 1182, how would Alys giving Richard the Vexin work when she was betrothed in 1169? I think we've established there's enough doubt over the matter for Alys to be replaced as Richard's wife if that's what Henderson wants to do.

Maybe or that was a mistake derived by the fact who after the Young King’s death
No it's stated explicitly that Alys had no dowry and why. It was mainly because Henry II managed to get papal dispensation from Alexander III to have young Henry & Margaret married while they were still toddlers, and thus, took the Vexin from Louis much earlier than intended. As such Louis didn’t want to risk getting burned once more, and Henry was willing to give him a concession to further cement Angevin power.

And it's also likely that Henry promised to send Richard to be fostered by Louis in the betrothal agreement, and later backpedaled, snubbing Louis once again.

I suppose Margaret's fertility will still be abysmal so Henry Jr will probably be succeeded by his brother anyway
Well her OTL infertility was likely caused by her miscarriage, so there's a slim chance for an heir.