Return of Horrible Educational Maps

badcontcol.jpg

Hmm, TIL that there is an Isthmus of Tehuantapec, and both Italy and Florida are islands, and New Zealand is fictional. Same with Sri Lanka. Huh....
The strange thing is that they've been able to do the islands of Madagascar, Sumatjava and Borneo, and the peninsulas of Malaya and Kamchatka, so it's not really clear what they've got against Italy, Korea, Florida and Nova Scotia.

At least, I think those Atlantic islands off the NE American coast south of Newfoundland are meant to be Nova Scotia...

Ah yes, dark airless jungle in *checks map* Poland!?
I'm not sure how "educational" that map was meant to be ;) (Earthquake zone in Northern Scandinavia, anyone?)

I did like that the listed hazards of that uncharted desert island off the coast of New Zealand include "underarm bowlers".

Poland's eastern border is its pre-WWII border, yet its western border is from after WWII.
Also the West Bank appears on the map; so I presume Israel already exists.
Anything else I missed outside of badly drawn borders?

Most of the borders are post-WWII, but at least they (and the coastlines) are correct. There are much worse WWII maps. It took me a while to find where I had stashed it in my PC, but I finally dug it out.

Warning: eye-gougingly bad. Enlarge Thumbnail at your own risk.

badomreallyfg75a.jpg

Most of the borders are post-WWII, but at least they (and the coastlines) are correct. There are much worse WWII maps. It took me a while to find where I had stashed it in my PC, but I finally dug it out.

View attachment 833237
Urgh, where to even start with this one.

Seriously, how hard is it for textbook makers to just look up suitable source maps?

At first glance I noticed that the depicted area is the old Soviet Union and not the Russian Federation.

At second glance I then noticed a slight oddity in the Pacific.

badwestside.jpg

(as minor quibble Greece vanished but to compensate for it the Baltic seems to have silted up)

Last edited:

View attachment 833237
I think the mix of curvy and angular lines is contributing a lot to how disgusting it looks. Most countries look like melted ice cream (probably going for wiggly lines as a substitute for detail), but then Central Europe looks like it got a bad case of colonization. Probably the weirdest thing on this whole map is how it looks like they drew Greece in blobs first, and then covered it up later with jagged trapezoids.

Well... weirdest aside from an inexplicable second Corsica, a mysterious country that appears to be a mutant second Austria (which has participated in a partition of Hungary along with Yugoslavia and Romania), Mega-East-Prussia, Russian Finnmark, drained Sea of Azov, the relocation of Kyiv to Lviv, and the relocation of Stalingrad to Kharkiv.