Return of Horrible Educational Maps

badglaz4.jpg

While it isn’t a map, I am watching Antiques Roadshow. The 2022 series, and the episode it Broughtoun Castle. A woman says that she thought something was (due to where her granddad was working) was from Uzbekistan or Kryzgstan. The “expert” then says these countries were part of the Ottoman Empire. He does then say a bit later the boots are Ottoman, but still, those areas clearly never were Ottoman.

This doesn't really belong here as it's deliberate, but would anyone like to take bets on how it takes before this appears in a list of projections?

The projection's north pole is in a small lake on the island of Mahé in the Seychelles, which is off the top of the map and larger than the rest of the Earth's land area combined.

This doesn't really belong here as it's deliberate, but would anyone like to take bets on how it takes before this appears in a list of projections?

The projection's north pole is in a small lake on the island of Mahé in the Seychelles, which is off the top of the map and larger than the rest of the Earth's land area combined.
It's just a Mercator projection. The only difference is that the poles are in a different place.

We understand that, but how likely is it that 'the internet' does? :p
Oddly enough the larger size of Madagascar was the *fourth* thing that I noticed from the map. I'm American, and I noticed that the fact that This map makes the USA's two neighbors look about the same size (the orientation makes Mexico the farthest *south* county in the Americas and the farthest south land point on Earth is either in Baja or Colima). The second was that it makes Africa look about the same size as Asia (plus that insignificant tropical peninsula that some call Europe) and the third is that it isn't *obvious* as to what the largest country is on earth in terms of area of the projection. Russia is among the most reduced, Canada almost as much and a lot of African countries including both Congo and East Africa have grown,

View attachment 738386
Congratulations! You got the Blinded Longtail Award for Excellence in the field of posting horrifying depictions of the Earth, uncivilized acts against cartography, and not knowing the size, shape, or existence of the nations and landmasses of the world.
Well...at least New Zealand is in the map.

But Australia has activated a cloaking device around everything but Tasmania.

Well...at least New Zealand is in the map.

But Australia has activated a cloaking device around everything but Tasmania.

No no, Australia is still on that map, as I already showed when I posted that map. It is even more or less on the correct location (south of New Guinea)

You just have to zoom in a bit and ignore the completely wrong scale:

badworldnewdet.jpg