Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Are you sure? Some of those borders look like they've been penciled in by the photographer to correct some errors.
Looks like a bit of pencilling for Yugoslavia, though nothing for the Eastern European parts of the Soviet Union, besides for Moldava. Plus South Sudan is independent, which is odd. Either way, standard mistakes from those old maps (I imagine due to the size of maps for textbooks they need to be a certain shape to be able to write in, and we should classify the ones in workbooks and textbooks differently) and I disagree with the comment someone made about people being idiots for not using the borders from back in time. Students need to learn about modern geography and to be able to picture where everything is. Plus by the look of the few visible questions it is starting with Japan declaring Manchuria a country independent of China and ending with Germany annexing Austria. There were plenty of smaller territorial changes inbetween. Can anyone make out what that word on the paper behind the book is, or at least what language it might be in?

3wgcypjbi0z31.jpg

In this world, It seems Pakistan is the New Persian Empire, It looks like Columbia decided to reform Gran Columbia by attacking all of central America and the Caribbean , And Japan is still under US Occupation, And the 2nd Bulgarian empire is still here! And what have they done to the Philippines!
(Also united Baltic Duchy Based)

View attachment 709885
In this world, It seems Pakistan is the New Persian Empire, It looks like Columbia decided to reform Gran Columbia by attacking all of central America and the Caribbean , And Japan is still under US Occupation, And the 2nd Bulgarian empire is still here! And what have they done to the Philippines!
Also seems like Ireland is still part of the UK, Morocco and Portugal ruled by Spain, British India wasn't partitioned but conquered Afghanistan instead, and Denmark and Norway have been annexed by Germany and Russia respectively. Oh, and Czechoslovakia's still a country and France managed to get its natural borders.

Also seems like Ireland is still part of the UK, Morocco and Portugal ruled by Spain, British India wasn't partitioned but conquered Afghanistan instead, and Denmark and Norway have been annexed by Germany and Russia respectively. Oh, and Czechoslovakia's still a country and France managed to get its natural borders.
Egypt reformed the Mamluk Sultanate Also..

I don't see US (green) in Japan - I see Chinese Sakhalin, Russian Korea and something blue (New Zealand?) in Kyushu and Shikoku. In fact Fiji and New Caledonia are also in New Zealand blue, so maybe they've been setting up a Pacific empire...

Also (not mentioned above) - The State Formerly Known As Mozambique has annexed Malawi, Tanzania has got Uganda and Somalia has migrated to Kenya, with Ethiopia taking Somaliland as well as Eritrea. Plus no Switzerland (I think Germany has it) and the 2nd Bulgarian Empire not only exists, but is splitting the Balkans with Slovo-Croatia-Hungary and Much Greater Macedonia. And once again, something deeply strange has happened in Svalbard.

(How do you get the quote function to give you the attachment link rather than the full picture?)

From the colour, I think that Svalbard is Finnish.

Also, South Africa has absorbed both Lesotho & Swaziland, Namibia has absorbed Botswana, West Africa is a mess, Zaire (or whatever it's currently called) & Angola have partitioned the Congolese Republic (with Angola taking the western end of Zaire, including its capital, as well), Malaysia has lost its Bornean states to Indonesia (which has also annexed Brunei & re-annexed East Timor) but has expanded north into parts of Thailand & Myanmar, the Philippines have split (independent Sultanate of Sulu, perhaps?), Guyana seems to have absorbed Surinam...
... and is that American green across Cuba & Hispaniola?

EDIT: Oh, and Canada has not only the Alaskan panhandle but a significant chunk of New England as well!

Is there enough here for a collaborative timeline thread explaining how these changes happened? I think that a POD involving an even stronger British Empire could be used to justify at least some of these "facts".

Last edited:
I mean, it could be the point. It is a blank map that the text is asking to be filled. The borders could be making it more difficult on purpose.
True, but even as a blank map it has problems. With a split Sudan, it is obviously 21st Century, but while the old Asian Republics of the USSR are separated, those of Europe are still part of whatever country is ruling in Moscow. Other issues include Sweden's arctic coast, the merger of Israel and Lebanon, no border in Ireland between RoI and NI and lack of border between Afghanistan and China, and the complete lack of the country of Laos.

Well, they got the.... essentials... right (though the French are shaking their heads a bit over Corsica),

To compensate Bornholn and the two Swedish islands are colored in the Entente's color

and the sketches of the soldiers of the various nations is quite a charming touch :)
Man, I'd love to have this as a wall hanging :D

That's why i wrote it is a nice document, just the accuracy is a wee bit wanting.

Unrelated, have here a Hebrew map about countries in which Islam is dominant (found at reddit)

badbrew.png

Unrelated, have here a Hebrew map about countries in which Islam is dominant (found at reddit)
How, exactly, does someone do that and not realise that they've got something wrong?
(Also, Japan has sunk again and what happened to the Muslims in Bangladesh?)
... and now I kinda want to see a TL in which Kazakhstan has a seacoast (and the Caspian doesn't count ;) )

How, exactly, does someone do that and not realise that they've got something wrong?
(Also, Japan has sunk again and what happened to the Muslims in Bangladesh?)
... and now I kinda want to see a TL in which Kazakhstan has a seacoast (and the Caspian doesn't count ;) )
I'm still trying to figure out how this even happened....
At least the great ANZUS Empire appears to be intact (with the other nations of the Americas presumably along for the ride), and unaffected by... well, whatever the hell happened here :p