Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Now since I had posted several WWI maps now have one that shows Europe after the First World War:

View attachment 647126
Yeah I had no idea there were Romanian irredentist claims on Transcarpathian Ruthenia, Slovakia, possibly some of Moravia (hard to tell, the map's so poorly drawn :p)
Nice to see though that the Austrians and the Czechs were able to work things out and stick together (always thought it was possible :) ).
Sweden and Norway are in the same colour, so I assume they're still in the personal union... congratulations to Catalunya for obtaining autonomy... and what's the status of East Prussia? :p

Corsica is also... Independent? A British Protectorate?
OMG I didn't even notice that one...
Ah well... we all know nothing important ever happens on Corsica...
460px-Jacques-Louis_David_-_The_Emperor_Napoleon_in_His_Study_at_the_Tuileries_-_Google_Art_Pr...jpg

Why do so many textbooks have such poor maps?
On AH alone you can find hundreds of people who can provide much better work for free.

So much so that at least one textbook has actually accidentally used an AH map at some point.

Edit: apparently the book was Danish.

Last edited:
Why do so many textbooks have such poor maps?
On AH alone you can find hundreds of people who can provide much better work for free.
Some of 'em on this thread, I think I might could provide better work scribbling on a napkin sitting in a restaurant :p
Honestly I think textbook quality has declined in general over the years... I have a small collection of old history textbooks, ranging between the 1920's and 1960's, and not only were the maps better in nearly all cases, but the text itself was better too than what I remember from grade school/high school... not necessarily politically unbiased, but just better-written...

So much so that at least one textbook has actually accidentally used an AH map at some point.

Edit: apparently the book was Danish.
I remember, it was a Danish textbook that in 2016 took a map from Deviantart about a bigger victory of the USSR after the Second World War.
Even I, who was still a history novice at the time, noticed the mistake.

Some of 'em on this thread, I think I might could provide better work scribbling on a napkin sitting in a restaurant :p
Honestly I think textbook quality has declined in general over the years... I have a small collection of old history textbooks, ranging between the 1920's and 1960's, and not only were the maps better in nearly all cases, but the text itself was better too than what I remember from grade school/high school... not necessarily politically unbiased, but just better-written...
I notice the same thing with French history textbooks. What I find disturbing is that this seems to be a worldwide phenomenon.
We should create an association: "the Defenders of fair and honest cartography". 😛

As far as bad WWI maps go, have here a (thankfully?) somewhat blurry one:

View attachment 646884
I know this program, Edgenuity I believe it's called. One of my two schools uses it.

On another note, my school also uses Chromebooks for Edgenuity. Makes me wonder whether the person who made this picture was taken by someone who attended my school, either a teacher or student ... 🤔 (the odds are pretty low but that's just an interesting thought I had.)

Last edited:
I know this program, Edgenuity I believe it's called. One of my two schools uses it.

On another note, my school also uses Chromebooks for Edgenuity. Makes me wonder whether the person who made this picture was taken by someone who attended my school, either a teacher or student ... 🤔 (the odds are pretty low but that's just an interesting thought I had.)
Well, at least you can't blame the Chromebook for the lousy map :p Other than that though, my sympathies! (used a Chromebook for a while, %&**#ing glorified email reader :perservingface:)

And now for a map that is obviously intended to be educational, it came with a few tasks attached:

badeducate2.jpg

Admittedly apart from The Balkans™ It is not too bad (the Danish-German Border might be a bit odd and South Tyrol seems to have developed the urge to hug Switzerland) but like so many maps it is The Balkans™ that the map maker couldn't quite find the right borders...

And now for a map that is obviously intended to be educational, it came with a few tasks attached:

View attachment 648667

Admittedly apart from The Balkans™ It is not too bad (the Danish-German Border might be a bit odd and South Tyrol seems to have developed the urge to hug Switzerland) but like so many maps it is The Balkans™ that the map maker couldn't quite find the right borders...
In this case it appears that Serbia now has an Adriatic coast, moving Montenegro away. Otherwise, the borders are serviceable.

In this case it appears that Serbia now has an Adriatic coast, moving Montenegro away. Otherwise, the borders are serviceable.

Romania is also badly out of shape (western Moldavia should be smaller than Wallachia but on this map it is significantly larger) and Austria-Hungary has a severe case of spilling into Ukraine. I admit the rest are okay if a bit wonky, but still combined with the task to correctly locate Sarajevo the wonky-ness of the borders is a bit more severe than it would be without that task.

Romania is also badly out of shape (western Moldavia should be smaller than Wallachia but on this map it is significantly larger) and Austria-Hungary has a severe case of spilling into Ukraine. I admit the rest are okay if a bit wonky, but still combined with the task to correctly locate Sarajevo the wonky-ness of the borders is a bit more severe than it would be without that task.

I suppose you get points as long you put the star somewhere in Bosnia