Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Without zooming in I see a Franco-Spanish Bourbon Monarchy.

Ah, then maybe add some poor color choices to the reasons why that map makes one a bit uneasy.

Speaking of poor color choice:

Imagine you have in a park a route called "blue trail", another route called "green trail", and one called "red trail" And whoever makes the sign can visibly do several shades of green and several shades of blue (and by that we can assume that the sign maker can do basically every color and multiple shades of them), so what are you gonna do with the blue, green and red trails?

Of course you gonna make them white lines! (Dashed, dotted, dash-dotted, and add in dash-double-dot for the healthy trail in case someone might not be confused enough yet)
Just be thankful that at least the unmarked trails are at least black (you know, they could have marked those with a double-dash-single-dot white line ...)

badcolorsnot.jpg

Let's see, North Macedonia, the modern borders of Slovakia, Finland and Denmark, amputated Rumania, badly drawn Serbia and Poland, and is that to the far left the border of Georgia? Anything I missed?

Not to mention the terrible border between Austria and Italy.

Alsace-Lorraine is main prize

Oh, right! How could I have missed that?
Now I'm thinking of it, Eupen-Malmedy is also following present day borders.

And nobody noticed that Rügen is obviously not part of Germany? Admittedly it is not that large of an island, but still the largest German island there is.

Gaaaaah! Almost NOTHING annoys me more than the use of present-day boundaries in maps intended to have a historical context :mad:

Indeed. Come to think of it, that makes the label "Geography of World War I" even worse.

Now have fun with a monochrome WWI map:

badwwimionochrom2.jpg

Well, they did remember that the Franco-German border was a bit more to the west and that in the east German extended quite a bit along the Baltic coast and some part of Romania was part of Austria-Hungary, it's just that they got a certain lack of knowledge of the exact positions of those borders.

But that book seems to have to cram information onto too few space anyways, as one can spot near the right edge that one the very next page they already get to the Rape of Nanking and Nazi Germany, so they are hard pressed to fit all in (of course one could then argue that if they have so little space then why not just deleting such a bad map and replace it with some more text info but alas I am no editor so what do i know)

Indeed. Come to think of it, that makes the label "Geography of World War I" even worse.

View attachment 646899

Well, they did remember that the Franco-German border was a bit more to the west and that in the east German extended quite a bit along the Baltic coast and some part of Romania was part of Austria-Hungary, it's just that they got a certain lack of knowledge of the exact positions of those borders.

But that book seems to have to cram information onto too few space anyways, as one can spot near the right edge that one the very next page they already get to the Rape of Nanking and Nazi Germany, so they are hard pressed to fit all in (of course one could then argue that if they have so little space then why not just deleting such a bad map and replace it with some more text info but alas I am no editor so what do i know)
Please tell me that this isn't from a textbook that's actually in use somewhere :p

As far as bad WWI maps go, have here a (thankfully?) somewhat blurry one:
Here we have another case of Caspian Ocean denialism.
Also they even managed to get the present day borders wrong, they gave Russia Georgia and Azerbaijan, but North Ireland is independent.

View attachment 646899

wow, that seems to be a very small word count being given to WW1.

I mean they show a map about the start of WW1 and then move to WW2 on the next page.

wow, that seems to be a very small word count being given to WW1.

I mean they show a map about the start of WW1 and then move to WW2 on the next page.
Eh, everybody knows WWI wasn't that important... not compared to "the big one" x'D
(anybody who has read my posts in the discussion threads will understand what a tongue-in-cheek comment this is ;))