Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Not to mention the peninsula drift!

View attachment 576342
Also note that the Low Countries are beyond sea-level low. Although I'm slighty disappointed that the map maker didn't fudge up Kaliningrad (One of the minimum requirements for a PhD in bad mapmaking)
I like to think the Low Countries ended up somewhere in the Carribean, thus allowing the Surinamese in the Netherlands to keep a close connection with their homeland. Well, one of their more recent ones. Much of them originally were brought in from Indonesia and- I am over complicating things. Just imagine it though, with St. Martin as a capital for their union, or for them to all be in the EU. Almost seems like it would be fun up until El Niño and other hurricanes both sneak behind and over the dikes to flood everything. That fresh water inner sea they worked so hard to make will turn into a mosquito pond. Or just be the main source f drinking water for the country. Weird the map labels West Bank, though considering it is one of the more lush part of Israel and Palestine, it makes sense.

Find myself just wondering what it looks like on the hemisphere on the other side... ;)
considering general wraparound, it's probably mostly land. this angle is like if we're looking at a hemisphere with the entire Pacific visible at once

this would make for a decent fantasy world map, though :)

Crazy Boris

Banned
safavid-map5000w-ea607da9ea5fb3285641b00d27a98f60.jpg

Amazing how the Safavid's borders nearly perfectly followed modern borders

safavid-map5000w-ea607da9ea5fb3285641b00d27a98f60.jpg

Amazing how the Safavid's borders nearly perfectly followed modern borders
In the east definitely, in the North, doesn't really look like it. Especially in the Northwest, that slight touch on the Black Sea looks event smaller than the Georgian Coast without Abkhazia.

In the east definitely, in the North, doesn't really look like it. Especially in the Northwest, that slight touch on the Black Sea looks event smaller than the Georgian Coast without Abkhazia.
I mean the modern day Turkmenistan border and the north border of Azerbaijan are definitely there.

Now this is obviously from a game so it is not educational anyways (and technically depending on how a match plays out this could be true for the in-game world)

Still, when you see "Russia 1914" you don't expect this:

badgamerussia2.jpg

(Bonus points for when you look closely you'll notice that what would be the Kaliningrad enclave in our world is obviously submerged)

Crazy Boris

Banned
Now this is obviously from a game so it is not educational anyways (and technically depending on how a match plays out this could be true for the in-game world)

Still, when you see "Russia 1914" you don't expect this:

View attachment 578773

(Bonus points for when you look closely you'll notice that what would be the Kaliningrad enclave in our world is obviously submerged)

Congratulations to Novgorod for not getting absorbed into Muscovy

Now to Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

It has an Air Museum, which by then means that the following map is meant to be educational.

badeeaaps3.jpg

And if you think the Pacific Theatre was already bad, you haven't seen their take on Europe and Africa:

badeea22ps3.jpg

Now to Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

It has an Air Museum, which by then means that the following map is meant to be educational.

View attachment 579128

And if you think the Pacific Theatre was already bad, you haven't seen their take on Europe and Africa:

View attachment 579130
South America is also screwy with the Amazon shrunken...
The screwiest part of South America other than Uruguay missing is that the Guianas (Guiana, Surinam, French Guiana) are combined larger than Mexico or Germany.

On the upside, they got the borders of Germany nearly correct in all pictures (okay they forgot the Saar region in several maps and in the 1942 one they forgot that the Nazis also had annexed Luxembourg and to flat-out count the General Government as part of Germany is a bit odd but we had much worse maps in this thread), just don't look at any other borders.

badgermisok2.jpg

Dammit! I told you not to look at other borders!

Crazy Boris

Banned
On the upside, they got the borders of Germany nearly correct in all pictures (okay they forgot the Saar region in several maps and in the 1942 one they forgot that the Nazis also had annexed Luxembourg and to flat-out count the General Government as part of Germany is a bit odd but we had much worse maps in this thread), just don't look at any other borders.

View attachment 580189

TIL Yugoslavia only existed in the 1940s and only had half of Slovenia

View attachment 580189

My God.... the more you look, the more screwed-up shit you can find.... especially if you glance at the dates... it's... it's... random-access borders world! :p