Return of Horrible Educational Maps

I looked for a map with the search words "Germany 1648".

Lo, I found this. I knew that the Thirty Years' War was bad, but did not know that Germany was molten.

germany1648ad.jpg

But the Napoleonic Wars had left it in bad shape, as well:
germany1837ad.jpg

Argl ....

I have found another one, on a page about Volga Germans. It is supposed to depict the HRE in 1789. Hint: It is not, at least not in OTL.

Challenge: Find a way that the cabinet wars and conflicts of the 18th century result in this map being correct for 1789. (I mean, beyond "... and then they went all insane.")

German_States_1789.jpg

We should create a thread for bad maps, that said, here is one particularly offending map I found.

ಠ_ಠ

That's just egregiously wrong in every respect.

With the possible exception of the location of New Orleans.

I want to know how such an abysmal map was formed in the first place.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
ಠ_ಠ

Ignorance and some guy in the graphics department accidentally shifting the layer of stars in Photoshop, most likely.

Thande

Donor
I have found another one, on a page about Volga Germans. It is supposed to depict the HRE in 1789. Hint: It is not, at least not in OTL.

Challenge: Find a way that the cabinet wars and conflicts of the 18th century result in this map being correct for 1789. (I mean, beyond "... and then they went all insane.")

I used Centennia maps for LTTW at one point, one inaccuracy stems from them assuming (for example) "a member of the House of Wettin is Archbishop of Trier, therefore Trier is a Saxon possession".

The presence of the spelling "Hapsburg" tells me all I want to know about the "quality" of these blobby maps. I seriously wonder why people bother making crap educational maps like this. There is no point to them. At all.

The presence of the spelling "Hapsburg" tells me all I want to know about the "quality" of these blobby maps. I seriously wonder why people bother making crap educational maps like this. There is no point to them. At all.

I swear someone here used to regularly use "Habspurge" in response to the inevitable it's "Hab not Hap" correction.

ಠ_ಠ

Someone accidentally moved the layers with the capitals. Not to mention make a picture with Amitabh Bachchan cover a huge chunk of land.

Ignorance and some guy in the graphics department accidentally shifting the layer of stars in Photoshop, most likely.

But all the stars are shifted in different directions?.Unless you made every single one their own layer, and then randomly shifted each one, you wouldn't have a pattern like that.

It boggles the mind. :confused:

But all the stars are shifted in different directions?.Unless you made every single one their own layer, and then randomly shifted each one, you wouldn't have a pattern like that.

It boggles the mind. :confused:

It could be worse. They could have made Amitabh Bachchan too big and have him cover the map. :p