Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Remember that one bad basemap with no eastern Mediterranean and generally mixing different map projections together? (if you think Gall-Peters is bad then you haven't seen Mercator-Mollweide yet)

Well, that map has also been used for shirt design. (Found at reddit)

badthatmap75b.jpg

Bonus feature: two Greenlands. A small unlabeled one above America (placed where the map projection used for the americas would put it) and a big Mercator-ish one (although not quite put where Mercaty would have placed it, for its southernmost tip seems to be about the latitude of Ireland)

Remember that one bad basemap with no eastern Mediterranean and generally mixing different map projections together? (if you think Gall-Peters is bad then you haven't seen Mercator-Mollweide yet)

Well, that map has also been used for shirt design. (Found at reddit)

View attachment 872949

Bonus feature: two Greenlands. A small unlabeled one above America (placed where the map projection used for the americas would put it) and a big Mercator-ish one (although not quite put where Mercaty would have placed it, for its southernmost tip seems to be about the latitude of Ireland)
The Greenlands! They're multiplying!

The Map suggests that the Danes are in fact dismantling Denmark and moving it to North America?

Danes? Denmark? That peninsula north of Germany is entirely fictional, as evidenced by some random decration on the wall of some laundromat or such (as usual found at reddit)

badlaundromat4.jpg

Danes? Denmark? That peninsula north of Germany is entirely fictional, as evidenced by some random decration on the wall of some laundromat or such (as usual found at reddit)
Well, it has New Zealand. And Japan. And the Black and Caspian Seas. And the Panama Straight might just be South America getting mismounted. And a few of the other oddities (Malaysia?) could be the result of bits getting broken off and stuck back on in roughly the right places.

But I am really really interested in the story behind Lake Carolina (or possibly Virginia, it's hard to tell at this scale).

But I am really really interested in the story behind Lake Carolina (or possibly Virginia, it's hard to tell at this scale).
I see that as Lakes Erie and Ontario, just displaced to where they can fit given the excessive scale of the Great Lakes in general. But that doesn't explain what's by the Alaska Panhandle.

They also appear to have sunk Sjaelland, rather rudely drowning one of their customers, and migrated all the Mediterranean islands generally south-west.
In fact, judging by Gotland, it looks like they may have somehow managed to displace every island on the map to the south-west. Don't ask me how they managed it, but I'm guessing layers were involved somewhere.

They also appear to have sunk Sjaelland, rather rudely drowning one of their customers, and migrated all the Mediterranean islands generally south-west.
In fact, judging by Gotland, it looks like they may have somehow managed to displace every island on the map to the south-west. Don't ask me how they managed it, but I'm guessing layers were involved somewhere.
ITYM south-east. Cyprus is south and east of where it actually is, and I think Corsica, Sardinia and the UK as well. And I *think* the dots were moved as well. The one in the lower right corner of the map appears to be in Gaza. I know there are businesses there, but seems less likely than other cities in the area.

ITYM south-east. Cyprus is south and east of where it actually is, and I think Corsica, Sardinia and the UK as well. And I *think* the dots were moved as well. The one in the lower right corner of the map appears to be in Gaza. I know there are businesses there, but seems less likely than other cities in the area.
You're correct - I meant south-west, but my brain was basically fried at that point. Given the position of Sicily, maybe more south-south-west.
The dots are likely in a third layer and could have been shifted in any direction. If you put Ireland back where it should be the dot on the south coast ends up in St. George's Channel, but if you shift the dots with it, the one in Gaza goes into the Mediterranean.

You're correct - I meant south-west, but my brain was basically fried at that point. Given the position of Sicily, maybe more south-south-west.
The dots are likely in a third layer and could have been shifted in any direction. If you put Ireland back where it should be the dot on the south coast ends up in St. George's Channel, but if you shift the dots with it, the one in Gaza goes into the Mediterranean.
What I'm trying to figure out is which Middle Eastern city it corresponds to, the reasonable ones are Cairo, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Amman, Tel Aviv and Beirut.
The problem is that Ireland and the UK look like they were shifted together. The problem is if the British one is London, that puts the Irish one south of Ireland.
Being at the same latitude, the most likely pair is Dublin and Manchester. For *that*, the one in the Baltic isn't Copenhagen, it is *Stockholm* and the German one at the same latitude as the Irish and British dots could be Hamburg. This sort of shift means the Middle Eastern dot is either Tel Aviv or Beirut.

Anyone got any more guesses?

What I'm trying to figure out is which Middle Eastern city it corresponds to, the reasonable ones are Cairo, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Amman, Tel Aviv and Beirut.
The problem is that Ireland and the UK look like they were shifted together. The problem is if the British one is London, that puts the Irish one south of Ireland.
Being at the same latitude, the most likely pair is Dublin and Manchester. For *that*, the one in the Baltic isn't Copenhagen, it is *Stockholm* and the German one at the same latitude as the Irish and British dots could be Hamburg. This sort of shift means the Middle Eastern dot is either Tel Aviv or Beirut.

Anyone got any more guesses?
I don't like Hamburg. That puts the string of cities south of it in a sparsely populated, relatively poor area of Germany with no offices in the Rhine valley. (Plus, Stockholm is farther away than the dot would indicate.) My current hypothesis is that the European cities are Copenhagen, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Basel, London, and Cork, with the continents shifted to put Copenhagen in the right spot and the islands shifted to meet Cork--something that would work if the dots and the map were on the same scale!

I don't like Hamburg. That puts the string of cities south of it in a sparsely populated, relatively poor area of Germany with no offices in the Rhine valley. (Plus, Stockholm is farther away than the dot would indicate.) My current hypothesis is that the European cities are Copenhagen, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Basel, London, and Cork, with the continents shifted to put Copenhagen in the right spot and the islands shifted to meet Cork--something that would work if the dots and the map were on the same scale!
Any idea what that makes the middle eastern city or is it a case where a tiny bit of scale change could make it any city in the Middle East?

South-south-EAST, dammit. I think the senility has finally set in.

Can't be London and Cork if the dots are on the same scale as the islands. Could be Cork and Birmingham, but that implies that the dots move with the islands, which would make the Baltic dot Gothenburg, with the central four Amsterdam, Cologne and maybe Mannheim & Dijon. But then the Middle East dot would be in the sea somewhere south of Cyprus.

I suspect that dot is actually Tel Aviv, since it's much the most likely place in the area for a Western services company to have a customer. But I can't make the other dots work with it unless there's a scale error as well as an offset.

I also suspect I've spent way more time on this than it deserves.