Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Deleted member 6086

Really, the more I look at those Hungary borders, the more I feel they will feature in my next nightmare.

Also, Bulgaria not only doesn't have Macedonia or Aegean Thrace, but its western borders are actually further east than they have ever been in OTL, especially around Vidin.

There's also the slight issue of the entirety of Africa disappearing into the ether.

Well, Africa is too far to the South so that map can't show it.

Compare:

badshippngcomp.jpg

Well, to soothe your mind have here an exhibit from the Lehman College Art Gallery which might be slightly bad on some details but is also very awesome:

badlehmanncollegeexhibit.jpg

And provided you are germanophone this is even doubly appropriate since a globus cruciger, which is a symbol for the world, is called Reichsapfel in German

Well, to soothe your mind have here an exhibit from the Lehman College Art Gallery which might be slightly bad on some details but is also very awesome:

View attachment 678741

And provided you are germanophone this is even doubly appropriate since a globus cruciger, which is a symbol for the world, is called Reichsapfel in German
The problem is that there is too much of the world visible on one side. You can see India on one side and the edge of Asia on the other. So the backside is a *really* stretched out China?

The problem is that there is too much of the world visible on one side. You can see India on one side and the edge of Asia on the other. So the backside is a *really* stretched out China?

Actually I noticed some other problem as well (silly me that I didn't realize it earlier):
On that apple Greenland is about as big as South America while actually the latter should be about eight times larger. So the backside might indeed be a stretchy China, since the artist, as talented as he might have been, chose to etch a Mercator Projection on a roughly spherical object...

So doubtless a nice work of art but there is also some horrible education in it after all.

Actually I noticed some other problem as well (silly me that I didn't realize it earlier):
On that apple Greenland is about as big as South America while actually the latter should be about eight times larger. So the backside might indeed be a stretchy China, since the artist, as talented as he might have been, chose to etch a Mercator Projection on a roughly spherical object...

So doubtless a nice work of art but there is also some horrible education in it after all.
Looks to me like the artist's intent was to make most of the world visible on one side of the apple... I'd imagine the reverse side is mostly apple skin :)
Maybe a Bonne Projection would work for carving the entire world into one side of an apple?
808px-Bonne_projection_SW.jpg

View attachment 678263

A slight distortion of the Napoleonic Wars...

That often happens when someone has to depict historical stuff but has only access to a modern map (for some obscure reason they seemingly can't access the internet when they make such maps.

Although some can actually get not too bad results when they start with a modern map, the following one would almost not qualify for this thread, but luckily is does have a few peculiarities:

baddetails6a.jpg

They forgot Alsace-Lorraine but they remembered bot North Schleswig and South Tyrol so I can cut them a little slack there.
However, if you look closely under the "A" of Denmark then you notice that they have submerged the Kaliningrad enclave (in compensation they have tilted the Russo-German border some degrees and ended up squeezing eastern A-H a little bit.
German Togoland also is way too thin, although they did remember that German Cameroon did not have the borders of modern Cameroon (except for its border with Nigeria)
Not really bad mapping but giving Italy and France almost identical colors was still a poor choice.
Though personally I'm especially fond of Sinai and Crete still being Ottoman (not sure about Crete though, can't quite make out if that color is italian or ottoman)

Great Lakes? Next you gonna tell stories about a "Caspian Sea" or what?