Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Always good ones: airline maps.

Although this is a bit peculiar. It got the Soviet Arctic coast good enough, Kamchatka, Japanese Islands, Chinese coast all decent as well (bit of a lack of stuff south of the Pilippines but that's more or less the only issue on that side of the map)
The Asian borders of the SU are also satisfyingly on point but when you then take a look at Europe...
(and what's visible of Africa and the Americas is also not really up to any standard)

badaeroflot.jpg

Although this is a bit peculiar. It got the Soviet Arctic coast good enough, Kamchatka, Japanese Islands, Chinese coast all decent as well (bit of a lack of stuff south of the Pilippines but that's more or less the only issue on that side of the map)
The Asian borders of the SU are also satisfyingly on point but when you then take a look at Europe...
(and what's visible of Africa and the Americas is also not really up to any standard)

View attachment 650224

Oh dear god the Baltic.

View attachment 650224
There isn't even any of Africa visible under the text at the bottom - which would put the entire continent north of the equator (based on what we can see of S.America - though the whole map plays fast and loose with equivalent latitudes, so that's maybe not a good comparison)!
Also, Japan a similar colour to the USSR - what kind of statement is that supposed to be?!

There isn't even any of Africa visible under the text at the bottom - which would put the entire continent north of the equator (based on what we can see of S.America - though the whole map plays fast and loose with equivalent latitudes, so that's maybe not a good comparison)!
Also, Japan a similar colour to the USSR - what kind of statement is that supposed to be?!
Probably the statement was "I'm running out of time to draw this damned map until the deadline, at least need to get the flightpaths straight!" I've got a bit of sympathy for hand-drawn maps from before the age of computers, and the artist clearly started with the Siberian coast before getting in a hurry. Either that, or a special antipathy towards Leningrad and the Baltic republics ;)

Is it just me, or does the US Mexican border look like they took our border and shifted it to the right? The area of OTL Central sort of looks like the Arizona bulge caused by the Gadsen Purchase. Similiarly, the Canadian Alaska border looks like OTL shifted to the right and the main part of the US Canadian border as well ...

As for this ATL, looks like the UK got Maine, the US got most of industrial Ontario and other than at the Pacific Ocean a more northern border, and possibly purchased California including Baha and a large portion of what it got iOTL. On the balance, The US is slightly stronger than OTL, Mexico is slightly stronger than OTL and Canada is significantly weaker.

Anyone else get Puzzlemania as a kid? I did for several years, maybe three or four, before they started getting stale by reusing previous puzzles and the subscription was allowed to lapse. Such a shame there are so few of both them and Nickelodeon Magazine on Archive.Org. The ones they have are from Highlight’s Puzzlemania, and I have wonder if this map from a game might have originally been posted n there, as- Well, seems we are at an odd point in the world Cold War, with the Soviets broken up, the Yugoslavs, Germans, and Czekoslovaks having unity in their own states, Yemen divided, Iraq with Kuwait, China with Mongolia (despite it being a country easy to label here) though without Taiwan, Sumatra labeled as a country, the UK as England, plus Austria has been sliced in half. Or Slovenia is independent and annexed Tyrol. A lot happened in 1990 and 1991, though I don’t recall the last part. I suppose I was very young then so probably didn’t notice.

2AEF95A7-65B4-4D3C-843D-42749EC3C4E5.jpeg

Unfortunately reddit gave no hints about what that map wants to tell us, so there might be a possibility that it does depict something correctly.

badnoclue3.jpg

Unfortunately reddit gave no hints about what that map wants to tell us, so there might be a possibility that it does depict something correctly.

View attachment 653790

Well, even if national membership (I imagine it is some type of organization) is accurate they still missed some islands in the Baltic and the Med. Also Faroes being included is probably a mistake.

Independent Northern Ireland is fascinating too...

I gave benefit of the doubt and believed that it could be a per constituent country rather than UK as a whole thing.

Thought with Ireland and rest of UK involved the lack of Northern Ireland is really weird and probably a mistake.

My interpretation on that is that Britain and Russia exchanged Ulster and Kaliningrad. The reasons for that are... complicated.

Oh god, I just now noticed Kaliningrad being coloured.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and East Prussia along with the Belfast Oblast I guess.

I gave benefit of the doubt and believed that it could be a per constituent country rather than UK as a whole thing.

Thought with Ireland and rest of UK involved the lack of Northern Ireland is really weird and probably a mistake.
I am wondering if it is something like odd sporting assocations, something where sub-national bits can compete. Just need to find a sport which the Isle of Mann takes part in, but Northern Island, Corsica and Sardinia and Luxembourg don't.

I am wondering if it is something like odd sporting assocations, something where sub-national bits can compete. Just need to find a sport which the Isle of Mann takes part in, but Northern Island, Corsica and Sardinia and Luxembourg don't.
For me as Estonian, the most interesting thing is that that Estonian islands of Saaremaa and Hiiumaa are not part of it, same for Finnish and Swedish islands, when mainland parts of the three countries are part of it.

The list of countries is strange too, it contains Belarus, Ukraine and Switzerland, but no Portugal, Netherlands, Luxembourg or Austria, tho name few.
The sporting theory is good, but it could be some animal or plant, that is not native or to find on islands in Baltic sea. I have seen maps, where one case of something means, that country is on the list, what could explain the strange list of countries and territories.