Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Although they got a lot of land from Canada, the land they lost was probably more important.

China is the RoC claim lines

South Africa took over Lesotho and eSwatini

Uruguay never got independence

Turkey annexed Cyprus and built a land bridge to it?

I would concede that it might be due to the low detail level of that map (as you had noted other islands had merged as well) and a generally sloppy attitude when coloring in the few countries. Although that sloppiness gets weird at the US-Canada border.

But sometimes even maps with theoretically higher detail level make Cyprus a peninsula.

I won't comment the other errors on the following map.

badwhattheheck2.jpg

I would concede that it might be due to the low detail level of that map (as you had noted other islands had merged as well) and a generally sloppy attitude when coloring in the few countries. Although that sloppiness gets weird at the US-Canada border.

But sometimes even maps with theoretically higher detail level make Cyprus a peninsula.

View attachment 507988
Great Lakes Earth Baltic Plain
Adriatic Plain
Most of the Black Sea is land
Ethiopia annexed Somalia
Libya, Tunisia, and Turkey drained the Mediterranean
China and North Korea drained the Yellow Sea
Independent Gansu, Jiangxi, and southwestern China
Slovenia-Croatia

Etc... I give up

• Droopy France
  • Skudenesfjorden is a lot bigger than I remember.
  • The Baltic nations collectively got pissy about denying Russia a port of any kind. Of course, this had the unfortunate side effect of destroying Estonia.
  • Denmark took revenge on Germany. I dunno, for having better chocolate or something.
  • Benelux exists.
  • The Swiss Seaport is heavily militarized. They got a taste for salt water and they’re not about to lose it now.
  • Corscidina is just a side effect of all the mega-scale engineering. They don’t mind.
  • The Balkan nations are extremely mad at the Baltic Plain developers for confusing them for the Baltic at first. By the time the confusion was undone, it was too late. The loss of the Adriatic was devastating.
  • Tunisia was laughing until it noticed Libya had paid for their own expansion.
  • Turkey, not to be outdone...
  • Greece is royally upset at the loss of Macedonia to the sea. Claims that the land was absconded for Turkey’s expansion are vehemently denied, as are the UN investigators who attempt to study Turkey’s new land for proof.
  • Ethiopia finally got fed up with the failed state on their eastern doorstep. Things are more ordered there now, but everything comes at a cost.
  • The Chinese Civil War goes swimmingly... for everyone who isn’t communist China. Tibet, in particular, is enjoying spectacular success and a warm water port.
  • If they hadn’t filled in the Bohai Sea in an attempt at one-upsmanship over the Europeans, this never would have happened.
  • In all the world’s chaos, Novorossiya declared independence, and also the partial in-filling of the Black Sea. No one seems to have noticed.

• The Swiss Seaport is heavily militarized. They got a taste for salt water and they’re not about to lose it now.
I think they took Savona from Italy. Now Switzerland would have a more balanced population of German, French, and Italian population.

Also, Uzbekistan has split into majority Uzbek Bukhara and a mixed Uzbek-Tajik Tashkent.

The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan, Namibia, Angola, Mozambique, and Tanzania are also reclaiming their coasts with more land.

Israel and Jordan got broken up by neighbors, while Lebanon is simply annexed by Syria.

And finally, Hungary-Romania, the ultimate unholy Dual Monarchy.

Last edited:
I guess one can be grateful that there aren't more countries colored in that map.

View attachment 507770
From this image, the only thing I can imagine is that the US conquered France, who in exchange fled to Eastern Europe and established the largest empire in history, while the Qing and the Braganzas still rule their respective empires

Not to mention the Greatest Soviet Empire. Somebody must make a map showing Russia in this state
Edit: As I created a timeline where Germany wins ww1 and Russia is essentially the Nazi Reich, this map could a cool ass version of my TL Wolfenstein!
No, that's France, the "7" referring to it is over the brown, while there is an independence movement of Egypt in the Arabian Peninsula

I think they took Savona from Italy. Now Switzerland would have a more balanced population of German, French, and Italian population.

Also, Uzbekistan has split into majority Uzbek Bukhara and a mixed Uzbek-Tajik Tashkent.

The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan, Namibia, Angola, Mozambique, and Tanzania are also reclaiming their coasts with more land.

Israel and Jordan got broken up by neighbors, while Lebanon is simply annexed by Syria.

And finally, Hungary-Romania, the ultimate unholy Dual Monarchy.
Japan built a landbrige between Hokkaido and Sakhalin, now they have Southern Karafuto again, with the bonus of it being now separated from the rest of the island

South Korea became fed up with having to deal with the Demilitarized zone, so they moved the entire country just slightly to the rigth to create a canal between them and the North

I like how we all missed that the Caspian is also filled in. It’s like looking at a house fire next to a nuclear bomb going off. Something normally quite significant just pales in comparison.

Survivors Case Study 2: Are the missiles launched from the alien landing site in eastern Europe likely to cause more or fewer changes to the shapes of continents than the first salvo of missiles which were launched from space? Consider the effect of a missile landing on a coastal area (the western impact site) compared with a continental area (the two eastern sites); compare and contrast with the effects of the missiles which landed on Greenland, Italy and others (now gone) and on southern India (partly gone, land-bridge to Sri Lanka formed).
ps please be quick, the missiles could be launched at any minute...:eek:

And now for a map obviously meant for children (although tbh that's not really an excuse for a map to be bad)

badchld50a.jpg

I guess I'll only name a few:

First, it's a [edited] Mercator (while that projection does have its uses those ain't even needed on a childrens' map)

Second, much of the Antarctic extending as far north as Uruguay? Sounds legit.

Third, trees on Greenland (admittedly with enough global warming this could become true)

And I haven't even started on the borders. That I will leave to those willing enough to keep focusing on that map.

Though I do kinda appreciate that Pretzel as an icon for Germany.