Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1972

Vote in the 1972 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep. That's why it's so cool. We also have a campaign for a constitutional amendment as the race develops!

With all those early 20th century presidents like Eugene Debs, 30 year olds might even be eligible in our TL.
Indeed. It would have to be 20 year old, or Jenness would have to choose a new Vice President.

Deleted member 40957

*laughs uncontrollably*

So, they have to pass an Amendment, or face the unpopular decision of kicking out the President-elect and Vice President-elect, just because they are too young.

AFAIK the SWP nominees can't even be awarded any electoral votes if they're underage, so you'd have x number of slates declared illegal. That only happened once before - in 1876, amid all the other controversies of that election - and that was because one of the Oregon electors pledged to Hayes violated the rules (he was the Postmaster General at the same time, and "no…person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States shall be appointed an elector.") The state governor appointed his own elector to replace him.

I don't know what they would do if the electoral slate was for an illegal candidate, but if every governor tried to appoint their own electors to replace the SWP ones, there'd be a colossal shitstorm. The House might have to form another Electoral Commission like the one in 1876, and who knows what they'd conclude.

Edit: Even better, we now seem to be vacillating around a tie between McGovern and Jenness. Someone's got to write this up as a TL.

AFAIK the SWP nominees can't even be awarded any electoral votes if they're underage, so you'd have x number of slates declared illegal. That only happened once before - in 1876, amid all the other controversies of that election - and that was because one of the Oregon electors pledged to Hayes violated the rules (he was the Postmaster General at the same time, and "no…person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States shall be appointed an elector.") The state governor appointed his own elector to replace him.

I don't know what they would do if the electoral slate was for an illegal candidate, but if every governor tried to appoint their own electors to replace the SWP ones, there'd be a colossal shitstorm. The House might have to form another Electoral Commission like the one in 1876, and who knows what they'd conclude.
Ooh... A more extreme version of Samuel J. Tilden, except with constitutional problems instead of electoral. I like.

So it looks like we are either going to have a crook or a kid as President. This is shaping up to be a good one.

Good luck to Jenness' supporters, they are going to need it.

EDIT: I kind of have to wonder what losing/ narrowly winning to a candidate that is literally unsuitable for office would do to Nixon's psyche.

Wow, I did not expect such support from her right off the bat. Then again, it's very early. If she's elected here, we'll assume that Congress makes some quick accommodations for her.

No worries potential Jenness supporters, your vote will count!

No worries potential Jenness supporters, your vote will count!
I've been pulling for a massive Constitutional Crisis this entire series and I'll be damned if we get out of it that easily. Let's throw America in a tizzy it will never recover from. Burn the crops and sow the fields with salt!

Let McGovern govern!

I would think if Jenness would win, the most likely scenario is that the electors would have to cast their ballot for an eligible candidate, which is the first time that would happen in awhile. Or else they'd certify the results, Jenness would be unable to get in and the Speaker becomes President on January 20th. President Carl Albert!

Andrew Pulley... a twenty year old steelworker and Vietnam veteran. So we get the Speaker of the House as President, i e we either get a retrospective House election to figure out who holds the House and DJC would likely translate the presumably quite split vote into the top party only having a plurality, so we end up needing to figure out a coalition, and who gets to be speaker anyway. Or we assume Carl Albert is the speaker. IIRC he did not want to be President so we get...

President James Eastland :eek:

Or we just assume the constitution has been (Or gets) amended to allow any eligible voter to serve. But constitutional crises are more fuuunnnnnnn... :(

That's a chance I wouldn't take. Sorry, Linda.

Hey guys ah.com can "make history" this time around by electing Linda Jenness the first female U.S. President. A vote for Jenness is a vote against the war dragging on in Vietnam and a vote in favor of civil rights and women's rights! It even has the extra bonus of amending the constitution to allow 30 year olds to be elected president.

Jenness for President 1972, to inspire girls and ladies around the world! :D

Jenness-for-president.jpg

Well, I will one up your campaign button with this.

NIXON!!!.jpg

I found it here on Alt History.com

I forgot who originally posted it, but as a huge NIXON fan, I just could not ignore it.

Finally, A vote for Nixon is a vote for bringing Red China in from the cold, ending the Vietnam War with dignity, keeping up detente with the Soviets, and returning prosperity to the silent majority of Americans who just want to be left alone to live their lives without trouble.

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

NIXON!!!.jpg

Let McGovern govern!

I would think if Jenness would win, the most likely scenario is that the electors would have to cast their ballot for an eligible candidate, which is the first time that would happen in awhile. Or else they'd certify the results, Jenness would be unable to get in and the Speaker becomes President on January 20th. President Carl Albert!

Albert declared that he didn't think it right a member of the opposite party that was popularly elected hold the seat of the POTUS.

Just to be clear, folks, in the event of a Jenness win, we will assume that Congress would quickly pass an amendment to allow any native-born American citizen of voting age to serve as president (or VP).

Also, I'd like to note that the left vote is again being split, so if we don't want a Nixon presidency in this TL, we're going to have to come together. I would suggest that all you lefties out there vote for McGovern, though I wouldn't be upset if everyone went for Jenness. Whoever starts to pull ahead, that's who you should vote for.

We're facing the the most critical phase of the Vietnam war (and a pretty damn important phase of the Cold War) and everyone wants to elect a 30-year who has never held office and who unabashedly supports Castro's regime in Cuba? Seriously? I knew that this board was left-orientated, but I never would of suspected that it was this partisan.

Come on, at least choose McGovern - I may not agree with him entirely(although I do find him more agreeable than most democratic politicians) but at least he's a politician.

And of course, it's not too late to go with Nixon and get the ball rolling on Detente and the EPA. Also, if you are viewing all of these elections as a single TL, then Watergate never happened because Nixon was never president. Not in 1960, not in 1968.

Out of curiosity, if Nixon should manage to win, does he still resign over *something* in 1974 and hand the reigns over to Ford?

Now that I think about it, any constitutional amendment to lower the age to become President would have to be passed prior to when the Electors cast their votes in January. Otherwise, all votes cast for Jenness would be invalidated. I honestly do not know what would happen (hypothetically speaking) if Jenness' electors still cast their votes for her without Constitutional support.

Just to be clear, folks, in the event of a Jenness win, we will assume that Congress would quickly pass an amendment to allow any native-born American citizen of voting age to serve as president (or VP).

With this in mind, Linda is back in the (my vote) race.

I still have to do some research on the candidates, though.

We're facing the the most critical phase of the Vietnam war (and a pretty damn important phase of the Cold War) and everyone wants to elect a 30-year who has never held office and who unabashedly supports Castro's regime in Cuba? Seriously? I knew that this board was left-orientated, but I never would of suspected that it was this partisan.

Come on, at least choose McGovern - I may not agree with him entirely(although I do find him more agreeable than most democratic politicians) but at least he's a politician.

And of course, it's not too late to go with Nixon and get the ball rolling on Detente and the EPA. Also, if you are viewing all of these elections as a single TL, then Watergate never happened because Nixon was never president. Not in 1960, not in 1968.

Out of curiosity, if Nixon should manage to win, does he still resign over *something* in 1974 and hand the reigns over to Ford?

I can't in good conscience consider these elections to be one TL. The butterflies make it impossible.