Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1832

Vote in the 1832 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to run through every US presidential election, two per week. The 28 elections from 1789-1896 will be run simultaneously with the 28 elections from 1900-2008. Be sure to vote in each election!

For 1789-1800, I will include in the poll everyone who received at least 5% of the electoral vote. From 1804-2008, I will include everyone who received at least 0.05% of the popular vote. Results for each election will be posted on the dedicated Retrospective US Presidential Election Results Thread (here) and compared to the actual results. The thread for general project discussion is here.

Here's the link to the 1944 election.

I voted Anti-Masonic because I'm hoping to open a portal to the secret cow level.

Now I just need a tome of town portal.

Last edited:
I vote for Henry Clay, though with quite a bit of regret. I like the American System, but don't like the war-hawkyness.

For those that worry about the executive branch holding too much power, Henry Clay always promised to adhere to a more hands-off approach. Just like most elections in American history, on matters of morality the vote won't matter as people will die from something somehow.

But, a vote for Andrew Jackson is a vote for a decade of economic stagnation due to his moronic destruction of the Bank since he couldn't control its patronage. So I vote Clay.

Stolengood

Banned
Clay, because he was smarter at government than Jackson ever was.

...in retrospect, Andrew Jackson was something of the Ronald Reagan of the 1820s-'30s, wasn't he?

Why 6 votes for the Anti-Masonic party?

It's hard to find information on William Wirt, but he seems to have been reasonably progressive for his time; opposing the Cherokee removal for example, and the Anti-Masonic Party was partially just an Anti-Jacksonian movement capitalizing on a surge in anti-Freemason sentiment at the time. It wasn't really a doctrinaire single-issue party; it had a full platform supporting internal improvements and protectionism and Wirt himself was a former Mason who is said to have made a speech at the party convention defending the Freemasons.

Still, I'm on the fence between Clay and Wirt.

I worked with a mason, who said he learned masonic history but they did not tell him about the murders or the Anti Masonic Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.