Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

Rated T for Teen
p_theblackcauldron_herobanner_19881_8a4bf0eb.jpeg

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures (via Hyperion Pictures) on June 14, 1985

The Black Cauldron was originally supposed to be released under the main Walt Disney Pictures umbrella, but plans changed when the MPAA decided to give the film a T rating. Originally some Disney executives wanted to re-edit the film down to a PG rating, but Junior decided to remarket the film as a part of the Hyperion Pictures studio, making it the first animated film for Hyperion.

NEWS REPORTS

Hasbro to import the Nintendo Famicom to American Markets
- The Providence Journal

USFL possibly expanding out to Europe by the end of the decade
- Sportscenter

RKO revival starts off strong with Cocoon
- Entertainment Today

That's great to hear that we got a T-rated animated film, and how will this RKO revival fare ITTL?

Also, I can see plenty of video games based on Hasbro's IPs ITTL.

View attachment 844599
Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures (via Hyperion Pictures) on June 14, 1985

The Black Cauldron was originally supposed to be released under the main Walt Disney Pictures umbrella, but plans changed when the MPAA decided to give the film a T rating. Originally some Disney executives wanted to re-edit the film down to a PG rating, but Junior decided to remarket the film as a part of the Hyperion Pictures studio, making it the first animated film for Hyperion.

NEWS REPORTS

Hasbro to import the Nintendo Famicom to American Markets
- The Providence Journal

USFL possibly expanding out to Europe by the end of the decade
- Sportscenter

RKO revival starts off strong with Cocoon
- Entertainment Today
Was The Black Cauldron a success or a failure in this timeline?

Oh, redben12, a thing about the American movie ratings. Is the T rating pretty much much a PG-13? The Black Cauldron must be a darker movie compared to OTL. Does the rating system go G, PG, T, R and then X?

Hasbro marketing the Famicom here in the USA? Cool!

I take it that Atari was weakened by the 1983-1984 video game crash ITTL just as it was in OTL. In OTL, Worlds of Wonder originally helped distribute the Famicom as the Nintendo Entertainment System here in the USA; do they still go under?

Last edited:
More Nessie
Was The Black Cauldron a success or a failure in this timeline?

Oh, redben12, a thing about the American movie ratings. Is the T rating pretty much much a PG-13? The Black Cauldron must be a darker movie compared to OTL. Does the rating system go G, PG, T, R and then X?
It did slightly better with the intrigue of a T-rated Disney film but still not enough to make a profit with Back to the Future(starring Eric Stoltz ITTL) just around the corner. Also yes to both of the other questions.

Nessie III (dir. Dan O'Brien)
loch-ness-13.jpg

Distributed by Universal Pictures on October 4, 1985

Cast: Patrick Stewart, Ken Takura, Charlton Heston

Nessie III was a major financial success for Universal and Toho, earning 105 million dollars domestically. However the film is divisive among fans of the franchise, with a lot of problems being contributed to the departure of the director of the previous films, Brian Forbes.

NEWS REPORTS

Fox planning on launching a fourth network
- The New York Times

Michael Eisner forming a holding company to contain Henson, Hanna-Barbera and Touchstone brands
- Variety

Columbia interested in buying-out Richard Williams steak in animation studio
- USA Today

Does hasbro still have a thing with marvel productions and sunbow? Cause through hasbro nintendo could also produced their own animated series of mario and zelda albeit of better quality then dic.

It did slightly better with the intrigue of a T-rated Disney film but still not enough to make a profit with Back to the Future(starring Eric Stoltz ITTL) just around the corner. Also yes to both of the other questions.

Nessie III (dir. Dan O'Brien)
View attachment 844642
Distributed by Universal Pictures on October 4, 1985

Cast: Patrick Stewart, Ken Takura, Charlton Heston

Nessie III was a major financial success for Universal and Toho, earning 105 million dollars domestically. However the film is divisive among fans of the franchise, with a lot of problems being contributed to the departure of the director of the previous films, Brian Forbes.

NEWS REPORTS

Fox planning on launching a fourth network
- The New York Times
Cool! Will there be any differences from OTL's Fox?
Michael Eisner forming a holding company to contain Henson, Hanna-Barbera and Touchstone brands
- Variety
Nice. What would it be called?
Columbia interested in buying-out Richard Williams steak in animation studio
- USA Today
I see interesting things happening in the future.

It's the middle of the decade, so here's 2 minor changes that I want to mention.

Superman_II.jpg
Superman_III_poster.jpg

Both of these movies are produced by Famous Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

WrestleMania1.jpeg

1985 would see the World Wrestling Federation produce it's biggest shows in company history, WrestleMania. The main events were Andre the Giant vs Big John Stud (night 1) and Hulk Hogan & Mr. T vs Roddy Piper & Paul Orndorff (night 2).

Expect another update later today.

It's the middle of the decade, so here's 2 minor changes that I want to mention.

View attachment 844804View attachment 844805
Both of these movies are produced by Famous Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

View attachment 844822
1985 would see the World Wrestling Federation produce it's biggest shows in company history, WrestleMania. The main events were Andre the Giant vs Big John Stud (night 1) and Hulk Hogan & Mr. T vs Roddy Piper & Paul Orndorff (night 2).

Expect another update later today.
Nice! What else happened at wrestlemania?

Da Choke
Nice! What else happened at wrestlemania?
It was the same card just split into 2 nights. They actually tried 3 nights (one for each location) for WM2 but after the poor reception, they are going to go back to 2 nights at a single location.

Super Bowl XX
EUmYzFCWsAMyUI9.jpg

January 26, 1986 at the Louisiana Superdome

The previous year at Super Bowl XIX, Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of the San Francisco 49ers. For the majority of 1985, it looked to be a disaster year for team with Marino holding out through most of training camp and Mark Duper being on IR for the first half of the season. Miami was 5-4 heading into week 9 and looked dead in water. Somehow the Dolphins would end up bouncing back to the #2 seed in the AFC, edging by Cleveland and New England to return to the big game. On the other side of the field would be their hardest challenge yet in the Chicago Bears. While they had previously beaten the Bears back in week 13, the Bears had also demolished all their other competitors on the back of their ferocious defense. Chicago were heavy favorites going in, with the team even creating a Billboard charting dance song in preparation for a possible win. It looked like it would be a repeat of the previous year with the Dolphins just being no match for the 15-1 Bears, by halftime the Bears lead 24-7. However during the fourth quarter, Miami began to see an opportunity to take glory. Chicago had suffered multiple penalties late into the game as their 17 point lead had shrunk to only a 6 point one with Miami having the ball inside the 2 minute warning. With just 14 seconds left in the game, Marino would find Nat Moore in the endzone for a 30 yard touchdown to win the game. Over the years, the game has been considered one of the greatest Super Bowls in history, even if many conspiracy theorist claim the game was rigged. It has also been dubbed "Da Choke", in reference to a well known SNL bit about Bears fans.

24-7.png
Offense.png
Defense.png
Penelties.png

NEWS REPORTS

Recently christened Jim Henson Company is reportedly in talks talks to purchase Nickelodeon
- The Wall Street Journal

Disney announces new 'Cinemagic' park to be opened in 1989
- The Orlando Sentinel

Wrinkle in Time movie finally set for a Fall 1987 release
- Newsweek

Network no.4
1986 would see the debut of the Fox network.

Fox_Broadcasting_Company_logo_(2019).svg.png

An interesting fact about the early part of the network's existence is that they originally had a Saturday morning block called Anime-hem, a short of early predecessor to the well known Animation Domination block that aired dubs of several Japanese cartoons like Voltron, Tiger Mask, The Invader and Muscleman.

V.jpg

TM.jpg

TI.jpg

M.jpg

1986 would see the debut of the Fox network.

View attachment 845138

An interesting fact about the early part of the network's existence is that they originally had a Saturday morning block called Anime-hem, a short of early predecessor to the well known Animation Domination block that aired dubs of several Japanese cartoons like Voltron, Tiger Mask, The Invader and Muscleman.

View attachment 845140
View attachment 845141
View attachment 845142
View attachment 845143
Thanks a bunch for using my idea! But I'm surprised it's on Saturday mornings......

Yep...........I'm certainly gonna be giving you a lot more ideas now! These are gonna be hits!

Speaking of which, around this time, Saban was pitching it's first adaptation of Power Rangers, or known at the time as Bioman:

So maybe Fox can pick this up as well as Marvel's Action Universe block, which is where the infamous Pryde of the X-Men pilot aired:

Oh, and once Klasky-Csupo comes in with a certain family in a certain city, don't drive them away and try to get Rugrats and Duckman on the lineup:

And then later on, AAAhhhh!!!! Real Monsters!, Santo Bugito, Wild Thornberrys, Stressed Eric, Rocket Power, As Told By Ginger and All Grown Up! could air.

An Australian Actor
An_American_Tail_poster.jpg

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures on November 21, 1986

Cast: Dom Deluise, Christopher Plummer, John Finnegan, Trevor Strong

"From what I know, I think I got the opportunity to play Fievel mostly by happenstance. Some Disney executive apparently overheard me audition for an Oscar Mayer commercial and contacted my mom about me playing a character for their next film. It was the first major role I was ever offered, so I made sure to give them all I got and the rest is history." - Trevor Strong, 2008 interview

NEWS REPORTS

Disney planning an adaptation of Gary K. Wolf's Who Censored Roger Rabbit for 1988
- Time

Buccaneers are reportedly 'not enthusiastic' about expected first overall pick, Vinny Testaverde
- Sports Illustrated
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This guy is basically going to be TTL's version of Greg Rhodes, I used the Trevor Strong alias because I couldn't come up with an original one. : P

Thanks a bunch for using my idea! But I'm surprised it's on Saturday mornings......

Yep...........I'm certainly gonna be giving you a lot more ideas now! These are gonna be hits!

Speaking of which, around this time, Saban was pitching it's first adaptation of Power Rangers, or known at the time as Bioman:

So maybe Fox can pick this up as well as Marvel's Action Universe block, which is where the infamous Pryde of the X-Men pilot aired:

Oh, and once Klasky-Csupo comes in with a certain family in a certain city, don't drive them away and try to get Rugrats and Duckman on the lineup:

And then later on, AAAhhhh!!!! Real Monsters!, Santo Bugito, Wild Thornberrys, Stressed Eric, Rocket Power, As Told By Ginger and All Grown Up! could air.
What do you think of this @redben12?