Resources and Sources Thread Pre 1900s

First Post
So for a long time I have been thinking that there should be a thread that gives sources to people about OTL history, I think and hope this will help and inspire people to learn more about history and for them to go out and write a nice TL, I also hope this will make more writers and people in general more interested in less popular parts of the world and periods of history.

Now there will be some rules mainly for the thread to not get locked and for the easier use, they are:

1. Specify what kind of source is, If you recommend a book then say so, the same for all kinds of sources.
2. Specify if the source is available online, in a legal manner of course, please link it or link the place where you downloaded the PDF or file.
3. Specify the language, It's fine to link sources in other languages as they are still usable and maybe people who know the language have not heard of it.
4. Specify how trustworthy and some of their biases, for example and author might like a figure or group in specific so if possible specify so, all authors will have biases but this rule is mainly for authors that while do provide a good source and information might need to be taken with some or a lot of skepticism.
5. This is for Pre-1900s so if you want to post sources about Post 1900s then please make a Resources and Sources Thread there.
6. For other kinds of resource please specify what they do and if they are behind a paywall.

I will try and update the thread with a threadmark every end of month with the sources that have been added, if there is a lot of posting of sources at any point then I will post a thread mark, each thread mark will contain each source to date catalogued by region and time frame.

Lastly I hope this helps people in many ways!

Last edited:
Source: Mexico: from the Olmecs to the Aztecs
Type: Book
Author(s): Michael Coe, Javier Urcid, Rex Koontz
Language: English
Available Online: As paid ebook ($26 US on Google).
Description: A classic introduction to the culture and history of Mesoamerica, assigned in every college course on it I know of. Readable and thorough, I'd recommend it to anybody interested in any aspect of precolombian Mesoamerica at all.

Topic: Mexican History, Mexican-American War
Source type: Book (available as e-book)
Title: A Glorious Defeat: Mexico and Its War with the United States
Description: Among the literature on the Mexican-American War, this book is uniquely from the Mexican point of view. One warning is that this is not a military history. Battles and campaigns are mentioned briefly, but the heart of this book is the political and social systems of Mexico before and during the Mexican-American War along with all the major problems.

Topic
: U.S. History, Mexican-American War
Source type: Book (available as e-book)
Title: So Far From God: The U. S. War With Mexico, 1846–1848
Description: This is a good military history of the Mexican-American War. It covers all of the campaigns in the war but is mostly a U.S. point of view. A criticism is that it doesn't adequately talk about political context, especially in Mexico.

Topic: American Civil War
Source type: Webpage
Title: Essential Civil War Curriculum
Description: This website offers newcomers to the American Civil War a broad (and free) overview of certain events in the U.S. civil war. The posts there were made by professional historians whose books are available for purchase. That said, the information on this website is still far from complete. There are several omissions of major characters, entities and events. For example, the Confederate Army of Tennessee, one of the two Confederate major field armies, and the Army of the Tennessee, the army which Grant created and played a key role in the Western Theater, are absent. Guess no one likes Tennessee?

Topic: Franco-Prussian War
Source type: Book
Title: The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870-1871
Description: This book covers the prelude and the war itself. The author does an exceptional job of detailing the conditions of the French and German armies and why things unfold. While it gives a masterful account of war up until the surrender of Metz and Sedan, the last parts of the book is somewhat disappointing. It felt as though the author just wanted to get things done and over with - there are just 3 chapters. Following the surrender of the bulk of the French regular army, France didn't just give up. They tried to raise volunteer armies to save their country but still failed. Events like the Paris Commune and the crowning of Wilhelm I as Kaiser of the German Empire in Versailles’s Hall of Mirrors are just summarized. Still, this is a very valuable book for military history, explaining why France's vaunted professional army failed against the mix of German regulars and conscripts.

Title: Handbook of North American Indians
Topic: American Indians
Source type: Book/encyclopedia
Description:
Published by the Smithsonian Institution from the late 70s to the 00s, these are lengthy collections of articles devoted to overviews of practically every single indigenous group of northern Mexico, the United States, Canada, and Greenland. The articles (contributed by prominent scholars in the field) summarize the culture, history, anthropology, linguistics, and archaeology of the area. Each volume includes many images and maps as well as lengthy bibliographies. These volumes are very well-written and easy to understand for the general reader. The only flaw is that the articles on archaeology reflect what was known at the time each volume was published so may be somewhat out of date but are otherwise great overviews of the subject.

Unfortunately, the series is out of print and very expensive, but if you have access to a good library, it's highly recommended if you need a good summary of the information or a good jumping off point to even more information.

Since I'm very familiar with the American Civil War and its historiography, I'll namedrop a few historians that are well-regarded as experts in the community but not quite mainstream:

Topic: American Civil War, Cavalry
Source type: Historian
Name: Eric Wittenberg
Description: Eric Wittenberg is generally regarded as the cavalry expert of the American Civil War and has written plenty of books on the subject, mostly focused on the Union point of view, but he does give the Confederate cavaliers their due. Aside from books, Eric Wittenberg also posts on websites such as Emerging Civil War Talk and is an active poster on Civil War Talk. As for biases, Eric Wittenberg has strong (negative) feelings on certain individuals. With a fair amount of justification, he regards Phil Sheridan, N.B. Forrest and John Hunt Morgan as very overrated. I think he's a little too harsh on Sheridan as he glosses over Sheridan's career as an infantry division commander and acknowledges that Sheridan really knew how to carry out a combined arms attack, but he has me convinced that Sheridan was not a good cavalry commander and that Morgan and Forrest are way too hyped up. (Sidenote: Eric Wittenberg does have a blog, which is a treasure trove of information on cavalry, but last I checked, I got pop-ups and think that the site isn't safe.)

Topic: American Civil War, Western Theater (ACW), Tullahoma, Chickamauga
Name: David A. Powell
Description: David Powell does an extremely good job detailing the development of the Union and Confederate armies from the end of Stones River until the clash at Chickamauga. He has written a 3 volume book on Chickamauga and worked with Eric Wittenberg to write the only full-length history of the Tullahoma Campaign. Powell is fairly unbiased and quite fair when dealing with the controversial figures of Bragg and Rosecrans. He also breaks a lot of myths written about Chickamauga like Tom Woods and the Fatal Order. He also has a blog and occasionally posts at Emerging Civil War Talk.

Topic: American Civil War, Western Theater (ACW), Stones River, Chattanooga, 1862 Valley Campaign
Name: Peter Cozzens
Description: Cozzens primarily writes on the Army of the Cumberland, the army of Rosecrans and Thomas. His books on the Battle of Stones River, the Siege of Chattanooga and Jackson's Valley Campaign are the best that's out there. However, there are a few problems. Cozzens' work feels like a revival of the old war of words between the veterans of Sherman's and Grant's Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Cumberland. The latter believed that, with some degree of validity, that the ascendancy of Grant and Sherman led to their accomplishments being overlooked. Cozzens isn't uncritical of the Army of the Cumberland, but he has occasionally de-emphasized accounts or facts that paint Grant in a better light or overlook something entirely. I also don't really don't like the cynical and facile judgments Cozzens often makes. For example, Cozzens' book on Chickamauga accuses a general of cowardly fleeing his command when Dave Powell points out that he was actually got lost while trying to rally fleeing troops.

Topic: American Civil War, Western Theater (ACW), Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg
Name: Timothy B. Smith
Description: Timothy B. Smith has chronicled the journey of the Union Army of the Tennessee from Fort Henry to Vicksburg. His book on Shiloh is especially useful because it gives attention to the critical Sherman-McClernand counterattack on the first day and is the only book to give any coverage of the second day of the fighting. His book on Corinth is essential because it's only the book that actually covers the Siege of Corinth in detail and covers the battle of Second Corinth as well.

His books on Vicksburg, however, do swing from too short to too detailed for the average reader. I found his "The Decision Was Always My Own: Ulysses S. Grant and the Vicksburg Campaign" to be too short while his recent books on the assault and siege might be regarded as too detailed for the average reader. That said, his book on Champion Hill does a really good job of covering the mobile phase of Grant's assault on Vicksburg (from Port Gibson to Champion Hill). In terms of bias, it has been said that Smith can favor Grant. While there are many legitimate complaints about McClernand, it does feel that Smith takes Grant's side and downplays McClernand's positive attributes.

Topic: American Civil War, Trans-Mississippi Theater (ACW)
Name: Donald Frazier
Description: Donald Frazier stands out for his work on the Louisiana side of the Trans-Mississippi Theater, covering various obscure campaigns such as the Bayou Teche Campaign and Taylor's counterattack that nearly retook New Orleans in 1863. The first book in his volume is a bit sparse on detail at times but his work also includes a fascinating social-political dimension of the war.

Topic: Anglo-Saxon England/Britain
Source: YouTube (BBC originally)
Historian: Michael Wood
Title: In Search of the Dark Ages - Athelstan
Link:

To go with Athelstan winning an online poll as England's greatest monarch, this documentary by the excellent Michael Wood really shows you why he might just have been this,

mial42

Gone Fishin'
Topic: Prehistory/Archaeogenetics
Source: Book
Author: David Reich (geneticist)
Title: Who We Are and How We Got Here
Availability: Can purchase at Amazon link above. Also can be found for free on the internet.
Description: This is the definitive book on the genetics revolution in prehistory. If you want to know about population movements and invasions before writing, this is the place to go. Genetics offers far more information then archaeology can, since there are millions of bits rather than only a handful, and Reich has already overturned a bunch of archaeological/anthropological theories (such as the caste system being invented or dramatically intensified by the British). It has a chapter on every major region (in my opinion, the ones on India and Europe are the most interesting; basically confirming the Aryan invasion theory) and a couple of related topics like non-Sapiens hominids. Published in 2018, so a little bit behind the cutting edge, but still quite advanced. Highly recommended.

Topic: American Catholic History

Author: Leslie Woodcock Tentler
Title: American Catholics: A History
Availability: Amazon and most othe Book sellers. Also available in ebook.
Description: A modern single volume history of the Catholic Church in the United States, that incorporates much of the social history of previous decades. One of the first such works to be published since the 1980s at the height of the New Social History. Well written for both a scholarly and lay audience. Highly recommended, and a good starting point for research into this particular topic. Highly recommended.

Author: John T. McGreevy
Title: Catholicism and American Freedom
Availability: Kindle and through most booksellers (though one might have to go though a second hand store)
Description: McGreevy expertly traces the interaction of American Catholic intellectual leaders with the broader intellectual currents of 19th and 20th century America. McGreevy explores discrepencies between Catholic dogma and the social views of American Church leaders, as well as the influence of the development of Catholic Social Thought during the 19th centutry. Primarily focusing on the relationship between Catholic intellectual leaders and the American Left, he paints a fraught relationship which sees allies often devolve into bitter rivals as the result of changing conditions in the country. Furthermore, he traces strands of intellectual anti-Catholic bias within the American intellgensia and the impacts these had on the Church and broader society. An expertly written source, which is totally fascinating, and a good source for anyone delving into a 19th or early 20th century timeline that expands outside of mere political leadership

Author Cyprian Davis
Title: Black Catholics
Availability: Oiringally published in the 1990s, this work is primarily available through second hand sellers
Description: Sadly (due to the age of the publication and in no way due to the quality of the work) still the predominant single volume history of the African-American Catholic experience in the United States. Davis was a trained historian and religious who researched heavily into the history of Black Catholics in the United States. His work starts by stressing that Africans had long had a part to play in the Catholic Church since its initial founding, and then traces the experiences of African slaves and feedmen within the Spanish Empire and Southwest, before moving his focus to the United States. The book is very well written and informative, and an essential work for those interested in the topic. The narritive is one of unfortunate missed chances - especially relating to the Second Pleniary Council of Baltimore in the wake of Reconstruction where the biases of American bishops gave an opening to Protestant missionaries amongst the Freedmen population, despite the the official position of the Vatican and it's constant pressure on the American heirarchy. Despite this, the Black Catholic community is given agency throughout, and their trials and victories are well celebrated in the work. Black Catholics is an important historical work for anyone wishing to incorporate this often overlooked into community into their timelines, or simply research an small but vibrant subsect of the African-American and Catholic communities.

Can anybody recommend a book on the comprehensive history of the American wild west period 1804 to 1890s. Yes I do know there are different dates like 1607 to 1920

Can anybody recommend a book on the comprehensive history of the American wild west period 1804 to 1890s. Yes I do know there are different dates like 1607 to 1920

The foundational work is The Great Plains: A Study in Institutions and Environment by Walter Webb which was first published in 1931. It has a tendency of favoing the Southern Plains, as Webb was a Texan, but otherwise is good. I had to read it for a course on the History of the Great Plains in Grad School and though its certainly a bit dated, its the foundational work for a reason - everyone who's come since has in some way had to respond to Webb.

On a related note, here's the website for the class I took. Check out the individual lecture links and it will give you plenty of works and readings relating to the topics at hand.

The foundational work is The Great Plains: A Study in Institutions and Environment by Walter Webb which was first published in 1931. It has a tendency of favoing the Southern Plains, as Webb was a Texan, but otherwise is good. I had to read it for a course on the History of the Great Plains in Grad School and though its certainly a bit dated, its the foundational work for a reason - everyone who's come since has in some way had to respond to Webb.

On a related note, here's the website for the class I took. Check out the individual lecture links and it will give you plenty of works and readings relating to the topics at hand.

Thanks for the help.

I don't supposed you have any reading suggestions of any women of the period

Thanks for the help.

I don't supposed you have any reading suggestions of any women of the period

It depends what you're looking for: social history, biography, etc? But I think a good place to start would be Dee Brown's "Gentle Tamers: Women of the Old Wild West" which, once again, is a bit old as it was published during the 1950s, but seems to be one of the foundational works once again. For something more modern, you couldn't go wrong with "New Women in the Old West: From Settlers to Suffragists, an Untold History" by Winifred Gallagher. There's more out there, o course, but those two would be a good start!

It depends what you're looking for: social history, biography, etc? But I think a good place to start would be Dee Brown's "Gentle Tamers: Women of the Old Wild West" which, once again, is a bit old as it was published during the 1950s, but seems to be one of the foundational works once again. For something more modern, you couldn't go wrong with "New Women in the Old West: From Settlers to Suffragists, an Untold History" by Winifred Gallagher. There's more out there, o course, but those two would be a good start!
That great it's truly appreciated

What are some good Early and High Medieval Ages (500-1250) for Europe and Arabia? For Europe, particularly French, Italian, Austrian and Hungarian history. I’d prefer documentaries and audio books, but regular books are great and fine too. I mainly want to know about the politics and culture.

What are some good resources for life in the Southern American colonies? It would be good if it had a range of perspectives, from the lower, middle, and upper classes.

What are some good resources for life in the Southern American colonies? It would be good if it had a range of perspectives, from the lower, middle, and upper classes.
Are you searcching for sources in English or in Spanish?

Also sorry for not updating the thread for such a long time, I have been a bit sick and busy but I will try and update the sources at the top.

What are some good Early and High Medieval Ages (500-1250) for Europe and Arabia? For Europe, particularly French, Italian, Austrian and Hungarian history. I’d prefer documentaries and audio books, but regular books are great and fine too. I mainly want to know about the politics and culture.
I've always been a fan of the Peoples of Europe series - especially the volumes on the Franks, Early Germans, Lombards and Goths (I like me, my Germanic tribes :) ). But a volume on the Hungarians also exists. Much of the series was released in the 90s and early 00s, so some volumes may be a bit dated in the archeology - but they're still great, single volume, monograms and great places to start.

Topic: Crusades, 1099-1187
Author: Steve Tibble
Title: The Crusader Armies, 1099-1187
Availability: Can purchase at this amazon link, among other sources. If you have university library access, possibility of being freely available.
Description:

During the Crusades, the Western and Muslim armies developed various highly sophisticated strategies of both attack and defense, which evolved during the course of the battles. In this ambitious new work, Steve Tibble draws on a wide range of Muslim texts and archaeological evidence as well as more commonly cited Western sources to analyze the respective armies’ strategy, adaptation, evolution, and cultural diversity and show just how sophisticated the Crusader armies were even by today’s standards.

In the first comprehensive account of the subject in sixty years, Tibble takes a fresh approach to Templars, Hospitallers, and other key Orders and makes the controversial proposition that the Crusades were driven as much by sedentary versus nomadic tribal concerns as by religious conflict. This fluently written, broad-ranging narrative provides a crucial missing piece in the study of the West’s attempts to colonize the Middle East during the Middle Ages.

Topic: Crusades, 1095-1382
Author: Niall Christie
Title: Muslims and Crusaders: Christianity’s Wars in the Middle East, 1095–1382, from the Islamic Sources
Availability: Can purchase at this amazon link, among other sources. If you have university library access, possibility of being freely available.
Description:
Niall speaks French and Arabic, and studies original source material directly. not working from translations.

Muslims and Crusaders combines chronological narrative, discussion of important areas of scholarly enquiry and evidence from Islamic primary sources to give a well-rounded survey of Christianity’s wars in the Middle East, 1095–1382.

Revised, expanded and updated to take account of the most recent scholarship, this second edition enables readers to achieve a broader and more complete perspective on the crusading period by presenting the crusades from the viewpoints of those against whom they were waged, the Muslim peoples of the Levant. The book introduces the reader to the most significant issues that affected Muslim responses to the European crusaders and their descendants who would go on to live in the Latin Christian states that were created in the region. It considers not only the military encounters between Muslims and crusaders, but also the personal, political, diplomatic, and trade interactions that took place between the Muslims and Franks away from the battlefield.