Request Maps/Flags Here

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Tom Thumb, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Iluminatili Well-Known Member

I vaguely remeber someone made a Worlda linguistic map. Does someone happen to have it on hand?

Or was it a dream all along?

2. Marc Pasquin 43 % pure, 57 % recycled sins

Trying to accurately describe language per territory for the whole world would be a nightmare unless you went with something like "official status" or "spoken by the majority". Just here in australia, there's about 300 native languages.

3. Iluminatili Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  4. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

5. Lottie Well-Known Member

6. Marc Pasquin 43 % pure, 57 % recycled sins

7. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

I didn't notice that - you're right! [searches for 'embarrassed' smiley, settles for 'confounded' instead...] :confounded:
    In my defence, I just looked for it, I didn't make it...:rolleyes:

8. Marc Pasquin 43 % pure, 57 % recycled sins

not blaming you. Was just wondering if there was a reason for it (alt-history, colour used for "western romance languages", etc...)

9. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

Don't worry, I didn't take offence. I also wondered about romance languages, given that French/Spanish is dark brown and Italian is light brown, which would imply a relationship. On another look, the map seems to be more 'language groups' not 'languages' - with the UK, Netherlands, Flanders, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Iceland all being grouped together (plus the USA, NZ and some of Canada, Australia and SA).

10. Comrade T-800 New Member

Here's my worlda-type map. There are two versions of Ningxia: one with pre-war borders, other's with post-war.

upload_2019-10-25_17-41-15.png upload_2019-10-25_17-41-51.png

Joshua Ben Ari, Miner and Lottie like this.
  11. JohnBull Well-Known Member

I'd like sugestions for flags for British colonies on the Moon and on Mars. Thank you!

12. Marc Pasquin 43 % pure, 57 % recycled sins

black field british ensigns with the astronomical symbols for Mars and The Moon ?

The Professor and JohnBull like this.
  13. JohnBull Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the conventions for British ensigns. Is it possible to use a black ensign?

About the astronomical symbols, it would be great. Not sure about Mars, as it's more associated to the male gender than to the planet.

14. Marc Pasquin 43 % pure, 57 % recycled sins

Historically, british colonies used blue ensign for government vessels and red ensigns for civilian craft. A few colonies would later adopt or be given other colours but there never were any black ensigns. Since however these are "space colonies", there would be a certain symbolic value to using black.

JohnBull likes this.
  15. JohnBull Well-Known Member

Let's go for a black ensign then! :)

16. zesamofdepast Well-Known Member

17. Marc Pasquin 43 % pure, 57 % recycled sins

here you go

british-space-colonies.png

18. JohnBull Well-Known Member

Loved it, Marc! There’s some retrofuturistic quality on them! My TL has reached the British Luna crown colony, so I’ll repost there!

19. History Learner Well-Known Member

Hi, not sure if I'm doing this right, but could someone make worlda of these two maps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Airesien Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anyone might be able to create a Wikipedia-style map that has the United States east of the Mississippi coloured in (along the boundary of Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana), including the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia? I just can't seem to work it out on Inkscape.