Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Tom Thumb, Jan 21, 2012.
Three-Five sound good to you?
Okay, here we go with Republican blue instead of royal.
Nevermind, I made a five star one (No matter what I did, it would have a five star rating):
So, have a few flag requests for my “Washington Burns” TL.
1) A flag for the Union of European Republics, a communist* federation initially created as a union between France, Württemberg, Baden, and Bavaria in 1904, later adding northern Italy, parts of Spain, and Prussia, between 1930-1945. Red banners are still common socialist/communist symbols, but beyond that things could be more open. The “hammer and sickle” of OTL isn’t necessarily going to be the primary symbol of communists ITTL, so feel free to do something different.
2) Kingdom of Borealia (alt Canada, land of the north), established in 1874, consisting of the provinces of Lower and Upper Canada, Michigan, Wisconsin, Rupertia, Columbia, and Vancouver.
3) Federation of Texas. OTL TX, NewMexico, and parts of Colorado, established in the 1830s and 1840s, with heavy German immigration starting in 1839 and coming in several waves since then.
2. More info?
1) Thought about that design, but wasn’t too crazy about it being essentially a red version of OTL EU flag. Also the number of stars wouldn’t make sense. Perhaps something using a cogwheel or a wreath of grain (or both?). Or perhaps something similar to the design of the CPUS logo OTL?
2) Well, I could see some sort of evergreen being the symbol, or something else that symbolizes the north. Maybe a way to stylize the aurora Borealis or the North Star? Not sure. Also, this is seen as more of a federation than the creation of a homogenous kingdom, so that might come into play.
Would probably follow the OTL version originally having the Union Jack in the upper left canton, at least at first (while maybe changing later like OTL Canada did, or maybe not...)
3) now this I like pretty much as is. Wonder if it might look better having the black box with gold star extended to the full width of then flag? But otherwise like the colors and designs (and the three stripes would symbolize the parts of the federation quite nicely)
That's better. Thanks!
I like the colors on number 2, but not crazy about the tree. Looks too....lush?
The stars for 1 just aren’t what I’m picturing for the UER. Also not sure what you’ve got going on in the middle of the circle?
In the middle is a pound sign with a cross through it, going NO money, especially british. ALso what's wrong with the stars? Here is an alternate if you want
It's a tree, I'm not going to make it flourecent purple but what do you want with it?
I've noticed you're quite unsatisfied. How about this for your Communist EU? The 4 big stars are the 4 original territories and the smaller the later additions.
It's feasible, like this. It's rough because I did it in 5 minutes.
It just looks really sad regardless of how it's done
1) REALLY liked this! Meant to say so right away but something came up at work. My only beef with the stars was that is was too similar to OTL’s EU. But with the emblem it looks really cool.
2) I apologize, I realize I was unclear. Typed that up in a hurry on a break. What I meant was that the tree itself looks out of place for alt-Canada. Too flowy, almost fantasy like (first impression was that it reminded me of Gondor from LOTR). Maybe instead having something that looks more like a spruce tree? Or maybe the Northern Star (this would make sense, seeing as how the name in the TL was chosen to compliment Australia, and they have stars on their flag too)
Oh wow! Very cool too! I like both of these latest versions posted. I like the colors and layout. Meat choice with the symbol arrangement too.
I needed the design for a technocratic Taliban WIP
Have you considered making the cog also gold and just a single star inside?
That occurred to me as well. It might look better that way?
Also, @BelfastBrawler , the more I look at it, i like both of the symbols going on in your design, but not together? I’m thinking one (with the hammer and wheat) as the possible symbol for American communists
Can i have a flag for-
A Cambodian puppet state of Japan known as 'the Khmer state'
The Jehol Free State!Tsao requeted it at the beginning of the thread,and now I need a flag for it.Just telling you,it is a Japanese puppet state on Northeastern China,ruled by a Mongolian prince.
An Islamic emirate in Indonesia (not modern)
The Kingdom of Mongolia,a Japanese protectorate run by King Yasuhito and the Bogd Khan,as a counter to Soviet Mongolia.
Hainan Island as a Japanese colony in south China
The North Chinese Republic, a military dictatorship under Zhang Zuolin.It is this TL's equivalent to the Reorganized Republic of China
I found this map on the internet.
Could someone add this to Worlda and to QBAM, please?
Separate names with a comma.