What should be done in the caucasus mountains and the eastern border of Iran? I trust you don't want a several-kilometer cliff face.

You're right, I don't. The Caucasus are unchanged, but as for "Iran"'s eastern coast, I imagine either gentle sea cliffs or sea-level beaches.
For bodies of water which were filled in, such as the Baltic or the Gulf of St. Lawrence, what should elevation be?

Preferably, a flat Baltic Plain and Saint Lawrence, as the instruction map, is a part of the Appalachian Red Line.
How tall is the Carpathian Plateau?

All I know is this--not as tall as Tibet!
Your verbal instructions indicate that all of mainland India should be lowered by one color, except the Himalayas, which will be raised by one. However, the line you drew appears to be quite a bit south of the Himalayas. Which should we trust?

Could you clarify on that? I don't understand the question.
Which color scheme are you using? How much is "one color"? (I would personally recommend X2; the 8K-BAM topographic map is already in this color scheme, so that would be easy).

Actually, it'd depend on which color scheme you would be using, if you're still interested. For example, this map has a seven-color scheme. This map, nine. This map, eleven. This one has gone as far as an eighteen-color scheme.
I assume that the instructions which stretch across the former Middle East refer to the Mediterranean Islands.

You assumed correct.
Edit: Is this an equirectangular projection?

Yes, it is.

This here is a plain, simple, good old-fashioned map of our planet:

enter image description here

As everyone here would know, land makes up only 29% of the planet's surface. But suppose for a moment that someone has pulled the plug off the ocean to drain enough of the ocean's waters to raise the percentage of land to exactly 50%, not a fraction more. Using our current knowledge of ocean bathymetry, what would a map of such an Earth look like?

Quick disclaimer--I'm not asking for how this change would affect the atmosphere, the ocean currents, the geography, the climate--that's all for later. Simply what the plain, basic, good old-fashioned map would look like. That's it.
I made a quick map based on the Youtube video, it's probably not 50/50 but it's the most land I could do without making it look stupid.

Attachments

• LessWater.png
    LessWater.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 111
Hello. :)

I have a request for a map for a TL idea.

Australia is in the place of Antarctica and Antarctica in the place of Australia, though it's closest point to the Torres Strait is at far away as OTL Australia was, which means that the whole Continent of Antarctica lays a bit more to the South that OTL Australia did, just because it wouldn't fit otherwise in Australia's position, seeing as Antarctica is a nearly twice as big as Australia OTL.

ac059dc27d38ac469c5fb64b387c632c.jpg

This also means that New Zealands position is a bit shifted and not too much to the South, otherwise they would freeze but instead a bit more to the east, more into the Polynesian Pacific. New Zealand too stays as far away from. Antarctica in its closest as it does in OTL from Australia in its closest point.

I don't know if this is possible to do, but I just wanted to ask here because I am shit at map making.

Last edited:
Hello. :)

I have a request for a map for a TL idea.

Australia is in the place of Antarctica and Antarctica in the place of Australia, though it's closest point to the Torres Strait is at far away as OTL Australia was, which means that the whole Continent of Antarctica lays a bit more to the South that OTL Australia did, just because it wouldn't fit otherwise in Australia's position, seeing as Antarctica is a nearly twice as big as Australia OTL.

View attachment 709456

This also means that New Zealands position is a bit shifted and not too much to the South, otherwise they would freeze but instead a bit more to the east, more into the Polynesian Pacific. New Zealand too stays as far away from. Antarctica in its closest as it does in OTL from Australia in its closest point.

I don't know if this is possible to do, but I just wanted to ask here because I am shit at map making.

It's not perfect, but I tried to put Antarctica on Australia, I had to move some islands like papua and bougainville to fit the continent:)

Attachments

• Antarctica.png
    Antarctica.png
    354.7 KB · Views: 141
I'd like to request, if possible
The US Republican Party logo and election symbol in blue (preferably a much less cyan-ish blue than current Democratic logo)
The US Democratic Party logo and election symbol in Dixiecrat orange

I'm looking for maps of Europe and/or the world in OTL 1740 and 1750, preferably according to the latest information & colour-scheme, if anybody's already posted those somewhere in these forums. Can any of you provide links?

I'd like to request, if possible
The US Republican Party logo and election symbol in blue (preferably a much less cyan-ish blue than current Democratic logo)
The US Democratic Party logo and election symbol in Dixiecrat orange
I don't really know if this is what you want, but its something lol
party_logos.png

- New Hastings: Maybe use the banner of arms of suxsex but invert the colours so six blue martlets on a gold field instead of six gold martlets on a blue field
- Cosquer: the traditional are Ermine (black spots of white) so since you want to include a silver fish, you could a flag that is divided between a section that is white with black spots and another that is black with a white fish.
- Freetown: you could simply invert the colours of the St. Georges cross with arms in the middle like Nova Scotia
- Hannover: just design a COA for this Victor Radcliff and assume his arms were turned into a banner of arms.

M. Pasquin, thank you very kindly for your replies; your ideas would definitely make for colourful, straightforward and visually distinctive flags (In other words completely unlike many, if not most US state flags in our timeline).;)

FREETOWN: I do like the idea of using Saint George's cross for Freetown though; perhaps instead of inverting the colours one could place a roundel at the place where the arms cross (like the flag of Florida, albeit with a crusader cross rather than a saltire), with 'Great Seal of the State of Freetown' and 'Nulli Secundus' written around the central design.

I'm not sure what the central design should be though; perhaps the 'Invicta' (the white horse of Kent) galloping through sunlit fields? (or perhaps a rider in Revolutionary War uniform trampling a dragon - or perhaps a lion? - as a more republican version of Saint George?).

HANOVER: I do like the idea of using a version of the Radcliffe arms for the State Flag of Hanover (Possibly with the addition of some stars and the motto 'Ad astra per aspera').

COSQUER: I'm tempted by the thought of an inversion of the Brittany flag seen here, with stripes in the canton and ermine in the field, a nod to several Revolutionary War flags that put the stripes where the stars normally go. However it also occurs to me that one could use the hues of the Breton flag while using the French fleur de lys (Perhaps using white fleur-de-lys on a black field, in token of the symbol's associations with Purity?), to make clear that Conquer was Breton AND French?

Perhaps a design with a black canton (with white fleur-de-lys), with some sort of state seal on the white field? (The said seal to include the symbolic fish and 'I remember' motto).

NEW HASTINGS: I have just discovered that Hastings, England has a rather splendid flag of its own; while an Atlantean State Flag should probably have a more old-fashioned look, one could do worse than to borrow from this design.

I will probably post my notions for the other UNITED STATES OF ATLANTIS cities whenever I have them typed up; hopefully they won't be too dull!

On an unrelated note, the mental image of the old label 'War Hawks' being used as the basic for US Party symbolism - with one party using a bird of prey and the other a dove - has occurred to me (perhaps with the colours flipped to make the symbolism a little less blunt); might I please ask if anyone has thoughts on this?

the mental image of the old label 'War Hawks' being used as the basic for US Party symbolism - with one party using a bird of prey and the other a dove - has occurred to me (perhaps with the colours flipped to make the symbolism a little less blunt); might I please ask if anyone has thoughts on this?

Something like this ?

US_dove_warhawk_parties.png

flag - 2021-09-04T160612.678.png

Could some make a German Propaganda Poster showing a German soldier tearing this flag up while the post tells civilians to "Treffen Sie oder gehen Sie über Arbeitsquoten hinaus, um der Kaiserwehr zu helfen, die Faschisten in Paris zu beenden"

Maybe just modify the Hastings design like, for example, these:

View attachment 709654

View attachment 709655

I'm so very torn between the delightful fact that these designs are outstandingly cool and the sad fact that US state flags - especially those of the eastern seaboard states that are the closest American equivalent to New Hanover - almost never 'pop' so spectacularly!:biggrin:

Truly the age-old struggle between verisimilitude and the inherently Awesome is a very cruel one.

On a slightly less cynical* note, it occurs to me that an Atlantean state flag based on this design could use a red-white-blue colour scheme, for that "Not American, but still US" element (They might also use a local bird species, but that's a design idea very difficult to conceptualise properly without having some kindly wildlife artist design & illustrate the New Zealand-esque insular weirdness of native Atlantean wildlife; unfortunately my dreams are those of a Prince, but my purse must be that of a humble yeoman).

*Alright, having inspected the various flags of the US Eastern Seaboard, one must admit that it's less accurate than I thought; Georgia loses marks for being perhaps a little TOO 'Lost Cause' but it still pops; Maryland is a mess but it's at least an unmistakeable mess; Rhode Island is elegant & distinct, even if it commits the cardinal sin of gold-on-white; South Carolina is good, though it might be a little too sober for my taste (I'd have suggested gold on dark blue); Virginia has excellent swagger (and could rise in rank if that crown were left on the head of that fallen tyrant); North Carolina is a close second - takes the 'Lone Star' look but makes it all it's own - but for my money Washington D.C. has the best flag on the Eastern Seaboard.

This is very outstandingly Awesome! (Thank you so much for bringing my vague ideas to very brilliant life once again).:happyblush

I'm tempted to suggest giving that dove a star for an eye, both as a way of giving these designs the same number of stars* but also because it's a canting reference to optimists being 'starry eyed' (An alternative would be to give the War Hawk stars on it's wings, but not it's torso, like the roundels/US air force stars on an old warplane).

*This is, one must admit, a truly quibbling detail but I worry that some petty wag will claim that the Peace Party "... has less stars 'cause it's got less brains!" or something equally petty; actually, having just looked up the Democratic/Republican totems, I've only just realised that the mule has one star more than the elephant (Which suggests that the GOP either gets bigger stars or employs very small elephants!), so there's no real problem here after all.

*Alright, having inspected the various flags of the US Eastern Seaboard, one must admit that it's less accurate than I thought; Georgia loses marks for being perhaps a little TOO 'Lost Cause' but it still pops; Maryland is a mess but it's at least an unmistakeable mess; Rhode Island is elegant & distinct, even if it commits the cardinal sin of gold-on-white; South Carolina is good, though it might be a little too sober for my taste (I'd have suggested gold on dark blue); Virginia has excellent swagger (and could rise in rank if that crown were left on the head of that fallen tyrant); North Carolina is a close second - takes the 'Lone Star' look but makes it all it's own - but for my money Washington D.C. has the best flag on the Eastern Seaboard.

While not a state flag per se the New England ensign with pine tree designs tend to be pretty good.

That's a very fair point - I've actually wondered what a Red Ensign based on the 'Lone Pine' flag of New England might look like (With the green pine in the canton and a set of Royal Arms in the field).