Available doodles?
Would like to see the ideas described even if just a scribble. Would help settle in my brain.
Marc's one is helping as the fleurs crossing the bars I didn't even think to use!
1605368852650_3_lines_heraldry.png

Ok, you were right in wanting some image, that's awful.
A lot of graveyards here, so:
- First row is what your request seemed to be, with three lines. (1: adidas; 3: dead circus; 4: dead on a tree-sided road)
- Second row: the attributes you linked should be, if I remember correctly, for separation lines. Meaning with three you get four fields. Even like this there isn't one that should be acceptable in heraldry. (1: dead of the mountain range; 2: the buried graveyard; 3: dead under the sea; 4: some fence)
- Third row: a cake, trees growing in a cemetery, and a couple with less dead.
- Fourth row: probably the only one acceptable in heraldry (if it is), next a test for vouté and in the end our inevitable saxon friend.

Now that you made me work, I expect to see your final design when you will have one.

View attachment 599602

Ok, you were right in wanting some image, that's awful.
A lot of graveyards here, so:
- First row is what your request seemed to be, with three lines. (1: adidas; 3: dead circus; 4: dead on a tree-sided road)
- Second row: the attributes you linked should be, if I remember correctly, for separation lines. Meaning with three you get four fields. Even like this there isn't one that should be acceptable in heraldry. (1: dead of the mountain range; 2: the buried graveyard; 3: dead under the sea; 4: some fence)
- Third row: a cake, trees growing in a cemetery, and a couple with less dead.
- Fourth row: probably the only one acceptable in heraldry (if it is), next a test for vouté and in the end our inevitable saxon friend.

Now that you made me work, I expect to see your final design when you will have one.
Thanks. I now see what you meant.
Will definitely post my design when final!

Would someone mind do a space-y take on a Gadsen flag, with four stars surrounding the snake? (It would be the flag of the Free Stellar League, a group of breakaway colonies formed when the United Nations, the Eurasian Union, and the State Stellar Bureau agreed to ban nuclear weapons on Earth and all its colonies. Not good people.)

Would someone mind do a space-y take on a Gadsen flag, with four stars surrounding the snake? (It would be the flag of the Free Stellar League, a group of breakaway colonies formed when the United Nations, the Eurasian Union, and the State Stellar Bureau agreed to ban nuclear weapons on Earth and all its colonies. Not good people.)

since it's space, you might invert the colours so you have a yellow design on black.

space-gadsden.png

since it's space, you might invert the colours so you have a yellow design on black.

View attachment 599775
My take:
stellar-league.png

I was going to say rectangular flags look better when flapping but since this is in space, flags used outdoors might simply be held in place with rods like the ones on the moon so square would make as much sense as any other shape.
Yeah.
Thinking about it, with space colonisation being mostly indoors I can flags becoming more drapey than flying, and closer to logos than physical flags.

banners and standards final template.png

so i've made a template. based off the modern scottish marquise standard which just so happened to match what this video said would be about the minimum length for a medieval standard. mans is charcoal because i dont know how to colour. he's 5'9" (minus the hair) id shrunk a template id found online (just now realised ive made him 7 heads tall and 3 heads wide rather than 7 1/2 tall and three wide... dammit) ideally the standard bearer should be on a horse and wearing clothes but yknow. 1 pixel = 1 inch
Skin tones.png

a thing i made years ago of natural skintones. the source was a colour diagram from second life id found on google images

Last edited:
so i've made a template. based off the modern scottish marquise standard which just so happened to match what this video said would be about the minimum length for a medieval standard. mans is charcoal because i dont know how to colour. he's 5'9" (minus the hair) id shrunk a template id found online (just now realised ive made him 7 heads tall and 3 heads wide rather than 7 1/2 tall and three wide... dammit) ideally the standard bearer should be on a horse and wearing clothes but yknow. 1 pixel = 1 inch

Honestly, don't worry too much about precise ratio and size as no one at the time would have cared. The medieval age used heraldry to tell knights apart so as long as the design is distinctive enough, using any sort of standard flag shape/size template is fine.

That doesn't matter for now; I just need the flag.

Actually, how a nation came to be influences its flag a great deal. So knowing that would make it easier to make a flag.

For example: US flag would not have 13 stripes if there were more or less than 13 founding states. And if England had simply conquered Scotland the Union Flag likely wouldn't exist.

Last edited: